The NGO Coordination Committee for Iraq (NCCI) is a NGO coordination platform of over 180 international and national NGOs. Established in 2003, NCCI’s mission, structure and objectives continuously evolved to adapt to the changing circumstances and support needs for civil society in Iraq. Primary functions include coordination and information sharing, advocacy support services and capacity building for NGOs.
The postholder will play a key role in ensuring that the value and impact of NCCI's work are communicated to a range of key audiences through both traditional and digital channels – including content creation, donor reports, events, public affairs and PR. They will be responsible for the day to day communications efforts, assistance to NCCI teams, documenting and reporting activities, and securing coverage in the national and international media.
- Produce high quality written and multimedia materials, including press releases, blogs, case studies, situation reports, photographs, video and NCCI’s annual report:
- Set up NCCI’s and produce NCCI’s regular partner newsletter and other NCCI communications products;
- Contribute to the wider policy influencing work of NCCI by drafting and editing of policy responses, briefings, talking points and other material;
- Produce materials for online and social media use and manage NCCI’s social media accounts;
- Provide advice and assistance to the NCCI team on internal and external communications ensuring all output follow best practice and are consistent with NCCI’s style guide and values;
- Use analytics and reporting tools to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of communications and inform future tactics and strategy.
- Provide strategic communications input into program proposals and donor reports in order to meet visibility requirements, increase program impact, and help bring policy change. This will involve adapting complex policy and development issues for different target audiences.
- Build the capacity of NCCI staff and partners to produce high quality media and communications products and carry out media interviews
- Build relationships with media/comms colleagues in other organizations (eg NGOs, UN agencies, civil society) to coordinate and collaborate on projects
Media Engagement (20%)
- Implement media relations strategy to promote awareness, understanding and support for NCCI’s work and the NGO community in Iraq;
- Prepare material for press briefings and interviews; drafts press statements and press releases;
- Arrange interviews and/or background briefings with senior NCCI staff and member NGOs;
- Set up a regular system of media monitoring, monitor the media, social media and web usage and adapt editorial priorities accordingly;
- Engage with the media and maintain a strong relationship with local and international journalists;
- Maintain a contact list of journalists and media outlets covering all media - print, TV, radio, social media, web, photo;
- Keep abreast of developments, trends, and technologies with a strong understanding of social media and other press office functions as relevant.
- Work with NCCI team members to assure that their activity information and data is captured, documented, analysed and reported as needed by project requirements;
- Provide substantial inputs, including critical analysis, to donor reports using data and text provided by NCCI teams;
- Review English, Arabic and Kurdish content and reporting products prior to release, provide high-quality editing and formatting for all programme related documents;
- Support Executive Director with humanitarian leadership elections and online NGO surveys;
- Facilitate NCCI’s Elections for NGO leadership positions such as HCT, Steering Committee, working group co-chairs;
- Provide additional administrative support where necessary including the NCCI enquiries inbox and inputting program information;
- Ensure the maintenance of sound filing system and appropriate use and recording of all project experience, activities and results;
- Frequent travel between Baghdad and Erbil, with occasional missions to remote parts of Iraq;
- Attend NCCI team meetings and fulfil HR or regulatory tasks as needed;
- Occasionally translate reports and other content from Arabic to English and English to Arabic;
- Other tasks as needed.
Contract Duration: till the end of the year with possibility of extension; subject to the availability of fund.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- University degree in journalism, communications, international development, policy, Middle East Studies, social sciences or other relevant fields;
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in communications, advocacy, public affairs, public relations, brand management, experience in journalism is an advantage;
- Experience of producing high quality written and audio-visual materials, including experience using relevant editing software;
- Experience in designing, editing and producing publications, reports and briefs;
- Professional communications skills, gained within a journalism/PR environment, to communicate and adapt complex policy and development issues to different levels of target audience;
- Demonstrable ability to think strategically, organize, plan and prioritise work to achieve results;
- Flexibility, ability to work independently and under pressure;
- An understanding of NGO operations in a conflict or post-conflict setting;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal, and strong writing and editing skills;
- Excellent knowledge of Arabic, both written and verbal is required;
- Knowledge of Kurdish is an advantage;
- Knowledge of MS packages, advanced use of the internet and online systems;
- Knowledge of design software such as InDesign, Photoshop is an advantage;
- Familiarity with humanitarian principles and response architecture (such as UN-led coordination mechanisms); and post-conflict and reconciliation mechanisms is preferred.
- Respect for Diversity
- Communications – excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to get the message across by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and nature of the information. Ability to deal with a wide range of people with tact and diplomacy. To deliver accurate information, effectively and on time.
- Teamwork – Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals.
- Planning and organisation – Adept at identifying priority activities and adjusting priorities as required; allocating an appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Influencing and persuading – Able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Resilience and Flexibility - Strong ability to work with ambiguity and constantly changing set of circumstances and issues. Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue.
- Creativity – Can transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Client orientation and Networking – Proven skills in networking and ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with stakeholders by gaining their trust and respect.
- Technological awareness – Keen to keep up to date on all available technologies and apply appropriate technology to tasks.
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of NCCI.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and actions.
How to apply
- Qualified Candidates should submit their CVs (PDF or Word) in English attached electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with "**Senior Communications and Media Officer**" in the subject line of the email.
- BLANK or OTHER subject lines leads automatically to disqualification for shortlisting.
- Application will be open until 22 June 2021 - 6:00 PM
- No application will be considered after the above deadline
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.