For more than 65 years, Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe, has been working in humanitarian assistance to alleviate the suffering caused by disasters and conflicts worldwide. Our vision, dignity in focus, as well as our mission to deliver humanitarian assistance with dignity, makes it clear that for Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe dignity plays a central role.
Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH) provides program support to DKH Project Offices and local partners. It is DKH’s approach to implement Relief, Rehabilitation and Disaster Risk Reduction projects mainly through local Partner Organizations. DKH is also on stand-by in case of need for partner support in acute emergencies. Our way of working reflects the working environment of humanitarian assistance. In the next five years, we will concentrate on localization, conflict settings and the triple Nexus, and digitalization. Equally, we will concentrate our programs and projects on four operational fields: (1) safeguarding, protection, and psychosocial support; (2) food security and nutrition; (3) livelihoods and markets; and (4) disaster risk reduction and climate change impact mitigation.
While DKH is not directly implementing humanitarian projects in Syria, DKH ensures that the local partner organizations respond to the crisis according to highest quality standards possible and fulfill the necessary administrative and technical requirements. DKH needs to ensure that the humanitarian response in Syria is meeting expectations in all relevant aspects, that DKH can continuously rely on its partners, and that DKH added value in the partnership is manifested.
The Central-South Syria Program Coordinator is a key position supporting the DKH Syria Team to achieve high quality programming, smooth implementation, and service delivery. The program coordinator will be mainly responsible for:
1) Working closely with our implementing partners to ensure a smooth design, implementation, and closure of our projects;
2) Supporting grants management (including compliance requirements and reporting);
3) Ensuring highest accountability, MEAL, and technical standards;
4) Supporting the development of the program and strategy development in Syria; and
5) Facilitating internal and external communication.
Location: Amman, Jordan. With travels to the area of operations in Syria, as security situation allows.
Starting date: July 2021
Contract duration: 12 months (extendable)
Reporting to: Head of Syria Program
Terms of Reference
Working under the supervision of the Head of Syria Program, the Central-South Syria Program Coordinator will have the following responsibilities:
Coordination (estimated at 20% of the time)
· Participate in coordination, bilateral, and cluster meetings, as requested.
· Build and maintain relationships with relevant networks and operational staff of similar organizations in the country, promoting collaboration (especially Act Alliance members).
· Participate in Syria Partnership (SP) coordination meetings as necessary.
· Act as focal point for project related communications with the Syria Desk Officer in Berlin, and liaise with DKH RO Asia and HQ, as necessary.
· Where necessary, act as liaison between technical advisors and Project Managers in partner organizations to ensure that interventions are in line with DKH strategy and are delivered in accordance with technical advice.
· Support relationships with Third Party Monitoring Agency.
· Deputize for the Head of Syria Program when required.
Business development and project design (20%)
· Research and maintain information on donor strategies and funding opportunities on the national level and propose new funding opportunities.
· Assist the Head of Syria Program in aligning new proposals to Syria’s Annual Plan and Strategy, ensuring that programs are delivered efficiently, maximizing opportunities for convergence and integration of activities where possible.
· Lead the development of proposals for submission to donors in coordination with partners, technical experts and relevant DKH colleagues.
· Contribute to budget development/management in coordination with Finance through budget review to ensure that budget aligns to the proposed intervention and the correct costs are included.
· Together with our partners, lead the development and implementation of assessments.
· Together with the Head of Syria Programs work on developing and updating the country Strategy, annual plan, and related documents, as required.
· Support the Head of Syria Program on security, access, and political analysis of the region.
Quality Implementation and Grants Management (40%)
· Support and advise local partners throughout all stages of the Project Cycle, from design and planning to implementation and closure, ensuring that partnerships operate smoothly, and that adequate quality and technical standards are maintained.
· Oversee the implementation of projects, and lead on monthly portfolio review meetings with partners; maintaining oversight of all grants, particularly high-risk grants, multi-sectoral, and multi-location ones.
· Identify gaps and challenges in the management of projects and actively support or advise local partners in undertaking action for their improvement.
· Ensure all projects are implemented on budget, on time, and with compliance to DKH and donor regulations, according to logframe and work plans.
· Manage all reporting deadlines (narrative and financial), develop calendars for report development and coordinate report compilation and review.
· Review reporting and ensure that reports are prepared in accordance with the requirements and regulations of donors and DKH. Assess any risks in implementation and discuss accordingly with partner and DKH team.
· Support program teams on budget and/or program re-alignments.
· Ensure that projects are properly kicked-off and closed out.
· Ensure that cooperation agreements are signed upon approval of proposals and all relevant documentation (admin/finance, logistics, etc.) is obtained.
· Manage archiving of all grant files and institutional memory of grants and programs.
- Support in the preparation of Cash Transfer Requests to DKH HQ and ensure that appropriate balances are maintained in banks to facilitate project implementation and field operations.
· Support in ensuring continuous improvement of cash transfer systems, considering the changing economic and financial situation in Syria.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) (10% of the time)
· Conduct regular field visits and ensure an environment of continuous learning and improvement, and that lessons learned throughout program implementation are utilized to inform the adaptation of existing, and the design of future, programs.
· Prepare monitoring visits together with partners, technical experts, and relevant staff, to ensure relevant information is gathered.
· Actively organize and participate in donor monitoring visits to projects. Prepare visit materials, as necessary.
· During monitoring visits to projects implemented by local partners, support the partner in managing records, files, folders, and other project documentations, as necessary.
· Lead in the management of the Third Party Monitoring (TPM) agency.
· Organize regular exchanges with the TPM to ensure strong joint-monitoring.
· Raise accountability issues encountered and suggest improvements.
· Strengthen accountability systems in place and establish an effective joint-complaints mechanism.
Visibility and Communications (5% of time)
· Contribute to the preparation of materials such as brochures, beneficiary stories, and publications.
· Assist in the coordination of country program visits by DKH staff, donor representatives, media, and other special visitors through collaboration with partner and Head of Syria Program. Preparation of briefing materials and post-visit visibility.
· Contribute to internal communication through monthly and annual reporting.
· Join advocacy efforts, as necessary and agreed.
Other tasks, as necessary (5%)
· Support the DKH RO Capacity Building Program Coordinator in in identifying their capacity building needs, as well as in organizing, or delivering trainings on topics of expertise, if, and when needed.
· Support in assessing partnership opportunities, as necessary.
· Support DKH’s Head of Syria Program in other tasks as required within reasonableness of the level of skills and experience.
· Master’s degree in social science, law, humanitarian action, international relations, or another relevant related field.
· Fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
· Fluent Arabic is required (mother tongue).
· Humanitarian Negotiation certificates, desirable.
· A certificate of participation in a HEAT course or similar is highly desirable.
· Superior writing and editing skills. At least three years of previous experience preparing donor reports and proposals for ECHO, UN and European donors with experience submitting proposals as part of a consortium (as lead agency or sub).
· Proven skills on Excel and budgets: designing, compiling, realigning donors and internal budget.
· Familiarity with digital tools and ability to learn quickly new tools when necessary. I.e., ability to use Outlook, TEAMS, ZOOM, MS programs, Slack, Asana, etc.
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in program design and management in humanitarian settings (needs assessments, project design, proposal writing, implementation, monitoring, and closure).
· Experience working with local partners, at least 2 years.
· Knowledge of main donor regulations and priorities, including ECHO, UN and other European donors. Demonstrated experience securing and attracting funds.
· Demonstrated ability to implement projects with rigorous timelines and deliverables.
· Experience in MEAL, and in strengthening accountability mechanisms.
· Experience working in a consortium or a partnership before is desirable.
· Experience working with Institutional funds (aka. Private foundations) is desirable.
· Experience in basic assistance, food security, shelter, livelihoods, protection, and cash implementation modalities would be ideal.
· Experience working and collaborating with diverse sets of stakeholders, such as local NGOs, donor representatives, local and international staff.
· Familiarity with best quality standards in humanitarian action.
· Knowledge and understanding of the complexity of the humanitarian context in Syria.
· Proven skills in providing capacity development support to local partners, is desirable.
· Experience in context analysis and negotiation is desirable.
· Strong capacity to present oneself, and to generate confidence and trust. Excellent communication, diplomacy, and good interpersonal skills.
· Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically.
· Ability to achieve results and work pro-actively and independently, through collaboration.
· Able to manage competing urgent requests and priorities. Flexible, problem-solving, and solution oriented. Strong organizational and time management skills.
· Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient).
· Attention to detail, with the capacity to continue seeing the bigger picture.
· Humility, and a spirit of growth.
· Demonstrated empathic leadership.
· Professionalism and willingness to take responsibility will be highly valued and appreciated.
· High ethical standards and strong drive to continue working in the humanitarian sector.
· Jordanian national
· Ability to travel within project areas in Syria as needed, if security situation allows.
How to apply
Please submit an updated cv and a cover letter, that reflects especially on your skills and on your profile matching the job description, to applications.JOR@diakonie-katastrophenhilfe.org by latest 18 June 2021 COB (UTC+2). Kindly note that only pre-selected candidates will be contacted. References will be requested at a later stage. Shortlisting of candidates might take place on a rolling basis, prior to the deadline.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. DKH reserves the right to change this document in case circumstances change.
Desired starting date July 2021. Alternative arrangements can be made for the right candidate, in case a longer notice to the current employer is necessary. Thank you