Title: Senior Accountant, Global Leases and Fixed Assets
A leading global humanitarian and development agency, Catholic Relief Services (CRS) reaches over 130 million people across more than 110 countries, without regard to race, religion, or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, health and social services, agriculture, education, water and environment, small enterprise and justice and peacebuilding. Since 1943, we have built strong partnerships with local communities, governments, and organizations around the world, creating renowned programming and operations that produce tangible results and make us a trusted partner. Our mission is lasting transformation of individual lives and entire societies.
The Senior Accountant will be an integral part of the Finance Division, and this position will have the responsibility for supporting all aspects of lease and fixed asset accounting for CRS globally. The Senior Accountant will provide direct accounting support to CRS staff in country programs. Job function includes preparation of general ledger account reconciliations for leases and fixed assets, account analysis/research, journal entry preparation, and related financial reporting. Employee will provide key service through the ongoing monitoring of financial information to assist Domestic Finance with reporting of financial results, compliance of CRS policies and procedures and donor regulations.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Manage the month-end close process related to leases and fixed assets by ensuring the accurate and timely completion of all owned and leased capital expenditure accounting entries and reconciliations.
- Manage key owned and leased capital expenditure life cycle events.
- Act as a subject matter expert for internal teams and finance staff in country programs on the implementation of lease accounting under ASC 842.
- Drive projects, provide accounting guidance and often serve as first point of contact for finance and business partners to resolve issues related to leases and fixed assets.
- Perform fixed asset & lease monitoring for CRS HQ and all country programs, including depreciation, additions, transfers, disposals and reconciliations of all asset expense and balance sheet accounts. Prepare quarterly fixed asset roll forward.
- Advise Country Program Finance Managers on related Policies and Procedures on a routine basis, as requested. Present fixed assets and lease training to new Country Program Finance Managers, as requested.
- Prepare related financial reporting including: financial statement disclosures, quarterly Capital Expenditures report, annual State of Maryland Business Property Return, annual listing of fixed assets for CRS insurance renewal, audit reports and compliance with donor requirements.
- Manage fixed asset imported transactions in Fixed Asset Subledger in Finance ERP ensuring fixed asset transactions are properly recorded across various subledgers, including the projects module, supply chain module, and general ledger.
- Analyze monthly and quarterly fluctuations in assigned accounts for internal reporting and propose necessary adjusting entries.
- Assist colleagues with responding to financial information requests. Assist internal and external auditors with financial information requests and supporting documentation.
- Perform other related tasks and ad hoc projects, as assigned by his/her supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Minimum of 3-5 years accounting experience
- Certified Public Accountant or current candidate for CPA exam
- Familiarity with GAAP research tools and the FASB codification
- Familiarity with lease accounting under ASC 842
- Experience with researching and documenting support for accounting conclusions
Required Languages – Fluency in written and spoken English
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptionally strong analytical and organizational skills
- In-depth understanding of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Strong financial systems experience
- Capable of working in a dynamic, results oriented environment; ability to multi-task across various work streams/priorities.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and results-oriented.
- Team player with a positive attitude who can work independently while also being highly collaborative and open.
- Excellent attention to detail, adherence to deadlines and consideration of follow-through. Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Exceptional computer skills, including fluency in Excel.
- Strong knowledge of internal controls
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities – None
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Headquarters departments and domestic and international staff.
External: External auditors, vendors, etc.
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
NOTE: All interested applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. at the time of application.
< br /> Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.