BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian think tank, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative, which was created in 2010 to facilitate the development of information tools and products that enhance the capacity of aid actors to make evidence-based decisions in emergency, recovery and development contexts. The IMPACT team comprises of specialists in research design; data collection, management and analysis; GIS and remote-sensing. For more information visit: www.impact-initiatives.org and www.reach-initiative.org.
We are currently looking for a Junior Research Reporting Officer to join the IMPACT global team in Geneva, Switzerland.
· Position: Junior Research Reporting Officer
· Department: Research
· Supervisor: Research Reporting (RR) Unit Manager
· Duration: Open-ended
· Start date: July 2021 or ASAP
· Location: Geneva, Switzerland
The Junior Research Reporting Officer will be part of the IMPACT Research department, under the supervision of the Research Reporting (RR) Unit Manager. The overall objective of the RR Unit is to ensure all IMPACT information products are meeting / exceeding IMPACT’s internal standards, wider academic research standards and overall research ethics in the data interpretation, data visualisation and research reporting practices being used within IMPACT.
To achieve this objective, the RR Unit:
· Provides day-to-day support and advice to IMPACT country teams on all aspects of research reporting, including review and validation of information products (reports, key findings presentations, factsheets, situation overviews, maps, online/ interactive dashboards, etc.);
· Develops tools and guidelines and engages in internal and external engagement to strengthen and standardise research reporting, data visualisation & interpretive analysis practices within IMPACT;
· Contributes to IMPACT’s capacity building efforts vis-à-vis research reporting and GIS;
· Consistently strengthens quality of research within IMPACT through the capitalisation of best practices and implementation of lessons learned processes.
Within this setup, the RR Officer will support with (1) process follow-up (2) development of tools, templates, guidelines and capacity building materials, and (3) review and validation of narrative information products.
CORE TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Ensuring IMPACT’s information products are meeting the required minimum standards for data interpretation, data visualization and research reporting, specifically by:
o Review and validation of narrative information products including, but not limited to, reports, presentations, factsheets, situation overviews, etc., while paying specific attention to:
- Accuracy with which findings are being reported and presented, including consistency with research Terms of Reference, data collection tools and methodology
- Coherence and clarity of narratives, and the extent to which the research questions have been adequately addressed through these narratives
- Respect for core humanitarian principles and other sensitivities in research reporting
o Provide clear, concise and constructive feedback to those drafting information products;
o Flag and discuss identified risks with RR Unit Manager as and when relevant.
· Supporting the development of tools, templates, guidance and capacity building materials to strengthen data interpretation, data visualization and research reporting practices within IMPACT;
· Supporting with day-to-day process follow-up for the research cycles being followed, including:
o Follow-up on delayed/ missing research cycle documents, keeping databases up to date;
o Ensure sufficient tracking and proper filing of research documents and tools.
· Contributing to capitalisation of best practices/ lessons learned for increased research quality within IMPACT
ADDITIONAL TASKS (ON AN AD-HOC, BY NEED BASIS)
· Reporting internally on updates about research cycles and related products, on a regular basis
· Liaising with other IMPACT departments (such as Communications, Grants Management, etc.) to ensure information sharing and follow-up when needed
· Providing other support for the implementation of IMPACT Research Cycles as directed, including in-country or remote surge to IMPACT country teams if necessary (up to 25%)
· Qualifications & Experience
o Good academic qualifications, including a Master’s degree or higher in relevant discipline (e.g. International Relations, Social Science, Social Research, Anthropology, International Development, Economics, etc.)
o At least 1-2 years of relevant work experience in a research and/ or information management role, ideally in humanitarian/ development contexts, with a specific focus on data visualisation and drafting of analytical/ information products
o Good understanding of data visualisation and related best practices
o Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Word and good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
o Fluency in English
o Fluency in either French or Spanish
· Soft skills
o Attention to detail and commitment to producing high quality work
o Openness to feedback and willingness to learn
o Ability to manage time effectively and thrive in a fast paced, results-oriented working environment
o Ability to work independently, with initiative, while taking a proactive, solutions-oriented approach
o Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, including in remote work settings
· Working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Cloud software package (Illustrator, InDesign)
· Working knowledge of other data visualisation and/ or GIS software such as Tableau, ArcGIS, etc.
· Good understanding of research methods within the field of social sciences
· Prior experience in implementing primary research projects in field settings from start to finish (e.g. needs assessments, monitoring and evaluation, etc.)
· Prior experience with processing and analysing both quantitative and qualitative data, including experience with analysis software such as R, SPSS, STATA, NVIVO, etc.
How to apply
Kindly submit to the following link: Junior Research Reporting Officer | Impact (impact-initiatives.org)
In case you encounter challenges using the application form, please contact us via email@example.com