The UNSSC is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons with disabilities to apply
The United Nations System Staff College (UNSSC) is the primary provider of inter-agency training and learning for the staff of the United Nations system. Its overall objective is to promote and support UN inter-agency collaboration, increase the operational effectiveness of the UN system as a whole and provide UN staff with the required skills and competencies to face today’s global challenges.
UNSSC conducts a variety of learning and training activities, in Turin and Bonn, UN Headquarters as well as the regional and country levels. All such activities effectively respond to the cross-agency, far-reaching reform agenda of the United Nations.
The UNSSC Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development is an integral part of the United Nations System Staff College tasked to provide support to the UN system in implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through learning, training and knowledge management. It supports, in collaboration with relevant UN and non-UN institutions, the policy and operational work of the UN through the development of learning tools, platforms of interaction and executive programmes around the five dimensions of sustainable development—people, prosperity, planet, partnership, and peace.
Under the overall guidance of the KCSD Head of Office, and the direct supervision of the Learning Portfolio Manager, the Associate Fellow will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following tasks to support KCSD learning, training and knowledge management:
Design, development, delivery and evaluation of training and learning activities on sustainable development themes and topics:
· Assist in the design and development of assigned KCSD courses in a variety of formats (face-to-face, virtual classroom training, online courses, mobile learning);
· Provide input and assistance throughout all phases of the learning management cycle for assigned KCSD learning activities, from learning needs assessment to evaluation and reporting;
· Support planning, internal coordination, marketing and communication of KCSD learning activities;
· Create, edit, and manage content published on UNSSC KCSD online learning environments;
· Contribute to the development of KCSD course materials and research on designing effective learning experiences for adult professionals in the field of sustainable development;
· Facilitate online courses and other learning events and foster participants’ engagement;
· Organise and facilitate webinars, podcasts, video blogs, etc., as appropriate;
· Support designing and conducting surveys such as learning needs assessments and course evaluations, and present analysis based on survey results;
· Identify and liaise with speakers and partners;
· Prepare guiding questions and take video recordings of course resource persons, and create video content for e-learning activities, as necessary;
· Prepare and implement course promotion and communication plans, draft short stories, posts, and updates for the UNSSC website and related social media networks; record video interviews with participants and resource persons; and contribute to post-production (scripts, flow, messaging) and the dissemination of multimedia assets such as testimonial videos;
· Respond to queries related to assigned courses.
· Support and contribute to the development of knowledge products (primers, videos, case studies, etc.) of assigned course content materials;
· Ensure wide dissemination, usage and tracking of KCSD knowledge products.
Administration and management of learning programmes:
· Draft project proposals and budgets of training activities for review of the learning portfolio manager;
· Draft correspondences and administrative documents, such as minutes, reports, contracts, agreements, etc.
· Assist the learning portfolio manager in making arrangements for workshops, roundtables, and meetings, including the issuance of invitations, preparation of programme agenda and participants list, correspondence with participants, and monitoring of follow-up action, as required;
· Assist the learning portfolio manager in the preparation and consolidation of forecasts, monitoring and reporting on the financial performance of KCSD training activities;
· Assist the KCSD team in its activities by performing other related duties, as required;
· Cooperate with internal administrative units.
An annual work plan will provide details of specific responsibilities and expected results from the Associate Fellow.
This position requires:
A relevant postgraduate qualification in social sciences, development studies, human right, gender, political studies, and other relevant areas. A solid understanding of the concepts of sustainable development, human rights and gender equality is an asset.
At least 4 years of relevant experience in the area of research, training, capacity development and/or programme management in the development context. Previous experience in development
field is an asset. Previous experience in the areas of human rights and gender equality is an asset. Previous work experience in the UN System is an asset. Working experience in instructional design and e-learning is an asset.
English is required; knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
Professionalism: Solid knowledge and understanding of sustainable development, 2030 Agenda, development context and capacity development. Ability to identify issues, analyse and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Commitment to Continuous Learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in the fields of sustainable development, capacity development and adult learning; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available learning and web technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to enhance learning; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new tools, methodologies and technology.
Submission of applications
The application (in English) should include the following:
· a duly completed, updated and signed P11 form (http://www.unssc.org/sites/unssc.org/files/p11un.doc)
· a motivation letter elaborating in a concise style why you consider yourself qualified for this position.
How to apply
Please apply through the UNSSC website: https://www.unssc.org/about-unssc/employment-opportunities/
The application (in English) should include the following: a duly completed, updated and signed P11 form (http://www.unssc.org/sites/unssc.org/files/p11un.doc) a motivation letter elaborating in a concise style why you consider yourself qualified for this position.