Are you passionate about Health, Safety & Security(HSS) and would like to contribute to our global efforts towards promoting an HSS culture across the organization? Do you want to work in an international environment committed to people forced to flee? The Norwegian Refugee Council is looking for a dedicated expert to lead its global work on Health, Safety, and Security.
We believe in a world where the rights of displaced and vulnerable persons are protected during a crisis. We do this through our programmes, where we provide assistance to meet immediate humanitarian needs, prevent further displacement and contribute to durable solutions. We are present in more than 30 countries in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. Many of the countries are experiencing a deterioration of the security situation, increasing humanitarian needs, and displacements due to conflict. Humanitarian space is shrinking, and COVID-19 has produced additional health and safety challenges.
The Global Health, Safety & Security Section is responsible for developing, evaluating, and monitoring NRC’s global approach to health, safety, security, and crisis management. With a central team located at Head Office, the Section provides the policies, systems, frameworks, and standards for use globally, and works through and with senior managers and HSS staff in the regions, in-country operations, and in Head Office.
If you are a senior professional with significant experience in the field, great to work with, and a record of accomplishment in building good teams and providing strategic leadership in complex international organizations, you might be exactly what we are looking for.
Come join our team!
What you will do
You will be responsible for providing strategic and operational direction on Health, Safety, and Security risk management and crisis management, ensuring adequate policies and systems for the organization in line with the overall strategic direction of NRC.
You will also be responsible for the following
- Promoting a Health, Safety and Security culture across NRC;
- Leading and developing the HSS staff competence and sharing of best practices on HSS risk management across NRC;
- Ensuring the section’s adherence to NRC policies, guidance, and procedures and for the development, follow up and reporting on action plans and budgets according to overall NRC strategic direction;
- As a member of the management team for Field Operations, contribute to team spirit and good collaboration within the department and work collaboratively on over-arching planning, strategy, cross-unit project implementation.
You will report to the Director of Field Operations and be a member of the Field Operations Management Team. In this capacity, you will be participating in Senior Management Group meetings when HSS and HSS risk management are on the agenda or items to be discussed have HSS relevance.
What you will bring
- Relevant higher education and minimum 8 years of experience working in the field of Health Safety and Security, 4 of which must be within the NGO, UN, or private sector (not including military or private security);
- Strategic development, planning, and staff management experience at a senior level;
- Extensive experience from complex and volatile contexts;
- Solid understanding of criminal law, HSS, and risk management related ISO standards, principles, and practices in broad humanitarian action, NGO safety and risk management, humanitarian access, and civil-military coordination;
- Strong report writing and good communication and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated experience in incident, emergency, and crisis management;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal; additional language skills in French, Arabic, and/or Spanish are strongly desired;
- Professional qualifications or studies in general management, HSS, and/or risk management;
- Prior work experience at the country/regional level;
- Experience or qualifications in humanitarian access, civil-military coordination or negotiations;
- Experience in designing training concepts.
We know that you are curious and would like to learn more about this role; please click here to access the full Job Description.
Whom you will work with
You will join our colleagues in Head Office and be part of the Global Health, Safety & Security Section (GHSS) as the head of the Section. NRC has a holistic approach to governance and risk management. The HSS Director works closely with the Director of Risk Management, and other management functions, to ensure the organization has an integrated and effective framework for risk management. The HSS Director works jointly with other functions to achieve synergies where possible, through holistic governance, common policies, methods, and the development of digital tools to support effective risk management.
What makes this position attractive?
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with an international team in an international organisation that wants to make a difference and take concrete action to do so;
- A chance to promote an HSS culture across a global organization together with a dynamic and ambitious team;
- A permanent position with Oslo as the preferred duty station;
- Salary and benefits according to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated in what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the people we exist to serve; and to each other… the members of our NRC family.
We are happy about early applicants.
How to apply
To submit your application, please click here