Job Title: Chief of Party I, Resilience
Reports to: Head of Programs, Jerusalem, West Bank & Gaza (JWBG)
Department: Europe, Middle East & Central Asia (EMECA)
Salary Grade: 11
Donor concurrence is required for this position.
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to*save, protect, and transform* lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS has been present in Jerusalem, West Bank, and Gaza (JWBG) since 1961 and currently supports programming in humanitarian response, urban and agricultural livelihoods, civil society strengthening, and social justice promotion through its offices in Jerusalem, the West Bank, and Gaza. In JWBG, CRS is broadly recognized by communities, donors, and other civil society actors as a le ader in quality, innovative, humanitarian and development programming, with a high commitment to local partnership.
The Chief of Party (CoP) will provide leadership and overall management for a large-scale project that aims to support the resilience of vulnerable Gazans, a part of CRS’ commitment to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your leadership, management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming and advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in complex humanitarian response and recovery programming. As a senior leader you will proactively manage risk, providing technical and operational leadership across project implementation.
*Required Languages-* Fluent English (written and verbal) required. Arabic proficiency preferred.
*Travel* – The position is based in Gaza; frequent travel throughout JWBG. Occasional travel anticipated within the region for trainings and workshops.** Supervisory Responsibilities**: Direct supervision of 3-4 senior managers; responsibility for broader team of 15-20 staff implementing the project.
- Demonstrated understanding of the interplay between USG sanctions and assistance programming.
- Demonstrated experience of successful program management, including management of complex, high-value, multi-activity projects, with complicated logistics.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
- Ability to represent and present at high levels.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
- Masters degree in International Development, International Relations or a relevant technical area.
- 7 or more years’ relevant management and technical experience in complex crises.
- 5 years experience managing donor funds. Strong knowledge and experience in budget management and compliance.
- 5 years of staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching senior program staff.
*Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
*Disclaimer**: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.*** Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination. CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people - especially children and vulnerable adults - to live free from abuse and harm. CRS welcomes candidates from the countrie s and regions in which we work. In the event the successful candidate is an expatriate or global telecommuter, the anticipated duration of the assignment is informed by a term limit, based on the type and level of the job and the needs of the agency. CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.**
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.