Desired start date: 15/08/2021
Duration of the mission: 12 months, with possible extension.
Location: Amman, Jordan
ABOUT THE MISSION
Solidarites International (SI) has been working in Syria since 2012.
There are 3 mains implementing offices in Syria (2 in North East + 1 sub office, 1 in North West + 1 sub-office) with the coordination office in Amman and a liaison office in Erbil.
The total financial volume of the mission amounts for 26 million EUR. The mission has now reached a number of approximately 42 expatriates and 250 national employees.
Syria mission is dedicated to work on recently opened and challenging areas to provide lifesaving activities to the population affected by the conflict as well as to implement rehabilitation interventions.
In Hassakeh & in Ar-Raqqa Governorate (NES), main current activities are related to:
- Wash (water supply, latrines and showers construction, waste management, hygiene promotion) in IDP settlements
- Distribution of essential in kind NFI and cash (wash, shelter, winterization) for vulnerable populations.
The program includes as well a great part of more durable activities:
- Water stations and network rehabilitations,
- Institutional rehabilitations (hospitals, schools).
Additionally, SI has a contingency and capacity to respond to emergencies in all NES and has been responding to the COVID-19 crisis (some specifically dedicated grants are ongoing).
The NWS intervention is targeting northern Aleppo country side at Azaz, Al Bab and Jarablus (direct implementation) and Afrin districts through a WASH, Shelter, NFI and Winterization support to displaced population and host communities. The main activities are:
- Provision of safe water: Water trucking and/or water supply (water pumping, water treatment and construction of water networks)
- Construction and maintenance of sanitation facilities and infrastructures rehabilitation
- Waste removal services
- Hygiene Promotion
- Distribution of hygiene kits & top ups, kitchen kits, new arrivals Kits and emergency shelter kits and tents.
- MPCA (multipurpose cash assistance)
ABOUT THE JOB
- The Head of Mission/Country Director is the Solidarités International official representative in a country, or in an part of a country according to the cut-out decided.
- S/He is in charge of the smooth running of the mission.
- S/He proposes mission strategy, according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once it has been validated.
- S/He monitors projects, ensuring that they are progressing in accordance with the Solidarités International charter and complying with internal and contractual procedures.
- S/He mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for the programs to run effectively and supervises the administration of these resources.
- S/He coordinates the teams in place and ensures their security on the mission.
- S/He is the direct liaison for Solidarités International HQ.
The main challenges:
- Coordination and strategic orientation
- Relevance and operational quality / operations monitoring
- Resource management
- Human Resource Management
- Relationships with financial donors / fund-raising
- Internal and external communication
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Strategy 2022-2025 finalization and operationalization
- Development of the mission (fundraising including diversification of fundings)
Position under hierarchical supervision of the HQ Desk Officer
6 persons under direct management : Country Management Team
All the mission under indirect management.
The base is mainly funded under BHA, CDCS, ECHO, ICSP, and others under discussion.
- Third level qualification in humanitarian/development studies, social sciences, management or other related discipline.
- Minimum 4 years overseas experience working with an international humanitarian/development NGO, with strong programme management, team management and financial management experience;
- Minimum 2 years in a similar position
- Experience of working and managing security in insecure environments
- Proven management ability, including ability to motivate and develop skills of team’s members. Must be able to make sound management decisions in difficult situations and also be able to work in a participatory manner with colleagues.
- Proven ability to deal with donors and operational partners.
- Proven ability to develop adapted humanitarian vision and strategy.
- Experience working with SI (or a similar organization) and familiar with its processes and tools would be an asset
- A keen understanding and experience in the Middle East (particularly on the Syrian crisis) would be an asset
- Strong knowledge of donors’ policies and guidelines;
- Strong knowledge of the project cycle management;
- Strong knowledge of principled-based approaches and advocacy skills;
- Excellent communication, networking skills, organizational and prioritization skills, ability to multi-task
- Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Extensive knowledge of project cycle management
- Used to work in political and security volatile environments
- Capacity to adapt and show organizational flexibility
- Cross cultural sensitivity, good sense of humor and great team member
- Fluent English (written, spoken and read)
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
- Knowledge of French is an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
Starting from 3000 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly i.e. 3300 euros gross per month) and valorization according to experience (+100€/year of humanitarian experience on an equivalent position and +50€/year of humanitarian experience on a non-equivalent position).
The perdiem rate for Jordan is 785 USD a month.
This position is open to family and housing pack in Amman.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract**.**
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The position is based in Amman, where living conditions are very good. Office and GHs are high standard, and Amman is a safe place to live in.
When traveling to Turkey and NWS, the team is accommodated in hotel (usually in Killis, could also be in Antalya, Gaziantep or Ankara depending on the visit objective). Hotel offer comfortable living and working conditions.
When traveling to NES, the team will go through to our Erbil liaison office where GHs and logistics are organised.
Clear movements SoP are in place for both locations.
Security level is high in NES justifying specific arrangements for accommodation and displacements in the areas of intervention. In NWS security conditions have been improving lately but there is very limited access for internationals and this is very unlikely to change in 2021-2022.
In Erbil (Iraq) which is the hub/entry door to access to NES, security levels are good, restrictions are mainly related to obtaining visas for international staff, which can take some weeks.
Please note that SI strongly recommends its staff to get the vaccination against COVID 19, using WHO-approved vaccines. If possible, the vaccination should be done before departure, in order to reduce the future logistical constraints once on the field (administration of the 2nd dose within a certain time frame).
How to apply
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=PULFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NX4&nPostingTargetID=62736. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/