A strategic campaigner to strengthen our growing movement for equal citizenship rights in Kenya
About the Position
At Namati, our people are our greatest resource. Our team of passionate advocates is spread across six country offices and various remote locations around the world, representing different languages, customs, legal systems, and operating environments.
As we continue to amplify our impact, our Citizenship Program is searching for an excellent communicator and campaigner. The Media and Digital Campaigns Officer will craft compelling content and execute digital campaigns that amplify the work our teams do on-the ground, to create policy change in Kenya. To help grow the movement, this position will work with staff and external partners to build their own capacity to engage with media, build relationships with journalists and press outlets, and enhance the online presence of the Citizenship program. Strategic and creative in driving online conversations, the Media and Digital Campaigns Officer will also support the broader Namati Kenya team to build relationships with key media contacts as well as establish a strong social media presence for both the Citizenship and Community Land Programs.
The Media and Campaigns Officer will be responsible for the following:
Citizenship Program - Media & Campaigning (50%)
- Lead on media engagement for the Citizenship Program in Kenya; conduct direct media outreach and build relationships with editors, journalists, radio, and TV outlets
- Collaborate with program team members to design media campaigns that advance policy change goals
- Source, create, and post compelling, platform-specific social media content and work with internal and external partners to maximize reach & impact
- Organize media-related events, including press conferences, meetings, and interviews; support the development of key talking points and prep partners and team members for media appearances
- Draft press statements and develop social media kits for key moments and events
- Coordinate regular OpEd placements in local, national, and international media outlets
- Build and maintain a database of media outlets and relationships, including contact and submission information
- Attend key events to capture content for campaign and social media efforts, including taking photos and gathering quotes
- Update and maintain lists of Twitter handles/accounts and relevant hashtags for campaign aims, and generate weekly social media reports on the impact of each ongoing campaign
- Provide other communications support as needed to further the goals of the Citizenship Program in Kenya
Citizenship Program - Partner Capacity Building and Programmatic Support (30%)
- Provide capacity-building support and training to program partners and community members around media engagement and social media campaigns
- Coach partners as they put new skills into practice
- Review and edit draft articles, blog posts, or other content created by partners and paralegals and coordinate publication
Namati Kenya - Social Media Management (20%)
- Collaborate with Namati Kenya program teams and the Communications team to develop and execute our social media strategy
- Source, create, and post compelling, platform-specific social media content
- Produce compelling visual content using templates and brand guidelines and/or by working with third-party designer
- Develop and maintain a detailed social media calendar, including maintenance of Namati Kenya profiles
- Respond to messages, comments, and requests from social media users
- Continually add to and maintain social media repository, including relevant audiences and topics for engagement and amplification of the program
- Stay on top of social media trends and changes to platforms that affect reach and efficacy
- Track and assess performance metrics for all platforms, adjusting tactics as needed
Here’s what you might have tackled last week/month -
- Collaborated with Citizenship team colleagues on planning a media outreach strategy for the next quarter
- Reviewed existing raw video footage and photographs for an upcoming Citizenship Program social media campaign
- Created session plans for two upcoming virtual trainings with paralegals on best practices for using Facebook for campaigns
- Held calls with two grassroots partners to discuss ideas for content updates on their website
- Worked with the Community Land Protection team to draft social media posts in advance of a publication launch
- Ensured regular updates on Namati Kenya’s social media accounts, and responded to all direct messages and mentions
- Track record of excellence in media and campaigns: You have a minimum of 3 years of experience in managing social media and mobilizing various media outlets to drive conversations. You are also familiar with campaign project work involving a combination of digital organizing, non-violent direct action, public communication/engagement, and media.
- Skilled with communication: Your written and verbal communications demonstrate clarity of thought and sensitivity to audience and context.
- Collaborative and service-oriented: You greet everyone you encounter with a collaborative spirit, kindness, and empathy. You are known as a team-player who brings an “all hands on deck” mindset to all projects -- you’re happy to contribute however you can to advance Namati’s mission.
- Nimble, creative, problem-solving: Although careful planning and execution define your work, you are positive and graceful when unexpected challenges arise. You quickly reorient and identify the best new course of action.
- Growth oriented: You’re always seeking to better yourself and your work, and you will push yourself to the peak of performance to help fulfill our mission. In service of that growth, you welcome and delight in feedback from supervisors, peers, and anyone else.
Nice to haves
- An eye for clean, compelling design: You have a good design aesthetic and are picky about things like inconsistent spacing and formatting. You understand what will resonate with audiences. You are able to sort through masses of information and determine what content is relevant, important, interesting and effective. Graphic design skills are a plus.
- Skilled media capacity builder: You’re adept at using your skills and experience in media and campaigns to build organizational capacity. You can translate concepts, foundations, and best practices in a way that supports and elevates the goals of partner organizations.
Nairobi, Kenya. Please note, you must already be legally authorized to work in Kenya to be considered for the position. Due to COVID-19, Namati remains a remote-first organization for the foreseeable future and until further notice.
Compensation & benefits
The offer range for this position is an annual compensation of 2,200,000 - 2,750,000 KES. Final compensation will be commensurate with the depth of experience that the selected candidate brings. Namati also offers excellent benefits, which include health coverage, generous paid time off, retirement or old-age plan contributions, sick leave, and parental leave— or compensation for the same. All staff also have access to funds for professional development opportunities.
How to apply
Please complete our online application. Please submit a resume and cover letter - explaining how your interests and experiences are related to the position - using our online application form. We also ask that you submit a relevant work sample (for example, an OpEd, press release, social media toolkit, etc.)
We’ll accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please. Namati is an Equal Opportunity Employer.