Miyamoto International (Miyamoto) is a global, multi-hazard engineering and disaster risk management firm that builds resilience to sustain economies, safeguard communities and save lives around the world. Built on decades of engineering expertise in the field, as well as frontline experience responding to more than 100 disasters, Miyamoto’s specialists support how partners address the economic, political, social, sustainability and resiliency challenges in disaster risk reduction and post-disaster recovery and reconstruction.
Miyamoto International is expanding its successful disaster risk reduction work in the Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) region and is seeking a highly qualified Latin American and Caribbean Regional Program Manager to manage and provide overall leadership to this growing LAC portfolio. The position is based in Washington DC; however, other locations may be considered.
Scope of Work
The Latin American and Caribbean Regional Program Manager is responsible for the overall timely and quality execution of all Miyamoto’s current and future international development and humanitarian assistance disaster risk management programs in the LAC Region.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Ensuring quality oversight of Miyamoto’s existing portfolio of USAID-funded programs in LAC, currently including programs in Costa Rica, Colombia, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Ecuador and Trinidad and Tobago.
- Supervising a team of 8-10 full-time LAC-based National Program Managers as well as 2-3 home office support staff.
- Ultimate oversight and responsibility for quality control of all deliverables, including coordination with Miyamoto International engineering teams on all technical activities.
- Timely preparation and submission of donor and Miyamoto internal reporting requirements.
- Influence and guidance on disaster risk reduction and management policy discussions and policy related deliverables.
- Timely tracking and updating of monitoring and evaluation targets and indicators.
- Ensuring that all program documentation is complete and effectively stored and saved for institutional memory and audit purposes.
- Contribute to operational planning and ensure compliance with donor and Miyamoto rules and regulations.
- Creating communication products about the program (e.g. “success stories”) and other materials to share with Miyamoto International corporate communication and other channels as appropriate.
- Creating, maintaining and updating work plans to ensure on time delivery of all activities.
- Mentoring national staff for capacity development (as needed).
- Serving as the safety and security focal point LAC.
- Communicating frequently, proactively and openly with Miyamoto International on LAC programming and implementation status, including raising and troubleshooting challenges.
- Maintaining codes of conduct and other international donor regulations.
- Coordinating, liaising and effectively engaging a broad array of high-level national and local stakeholders while executing representational and relationship management duties with the donor and other international and national stakeholders.
- Leadership in growing the LAC portfolio with experience with business development acumen, including proposal writing and development.
Miyamoto’s international development in the LAC region has a focus on humanitarian and disaster risk reduction policy. The candidate will have successfully directed high profile international development projects with a demonstrated skill in international development program management, a high-level of political awareness, deep knowledge of the disaster risk management field, aptitude in multi-stakeholder engagement and demonstrated contextual sensitivity.
The candidate will have substantial experience (10+ years) managing or directing significant USAID or other major development donor programs in dynamic security environments with a full understanding of the sensitivities of operating both at the highest levels of government and at the community level.
The candidate will directly manage National Program Managers who will be based in the respective countries and their teams.
The Latin American and Caribbean Regional Program Manager will be supported by corporate policy and programming support as well as technical support with overall accountability to the Director of International Programs.
- Advanced degree in international development (and related areas to emergency and disaster risk management), engineering or other relevant advanced degree.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated technical depth in the field of disaster risk management.
- Professional fluency in English and Spanish.
- Ability to successfully execute a high-level international development projects with remote supervision.
- Excellent communicator able to work credibly and effectively with community members as well as high-level government and private sector officials.
- Excellent organizational, time management and planning skills.
- Strong program design and writing skills, with willingness to support business development priorities.
- Ability and willingness to work openly and collaboratively with technical teams and professionals from other disciplines.
- Self-starter with a “start-up” mentality a high degree of initiative, professionalism and integrity.
- Ability and willingness to work in a flexible and dynamic organization.
- Substantial experience (10+ years) managing or directing significant USAID or other major development donor programs in dynamic political and security environments, preferably in the LAC region.
- Strong past experience working on large development policy initiatives with a particular focus on disaster risk mitigation.
- Past success directing high profile international development projects with a demonstrated skill in international development program management, a high-level of political awareness, deep knowledge of and aptitude in multi-stakeholder engagement and demonstrated contextual sensitivity.
- Significant experience acting as an organizational representative at panels, workshops, conferences and other public events.
How to apply
Miyamoto International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.