Desired start date: June/July 2021
Duration of the mission: around 8 months
Location: Gedaref (Al Qadarif)
ABOUT THE MISSION...
Following heavy fighting between the Tigrayan Forces (TPLF) and the Ethiopian Armed Forces (EAF), many Ethiopians fled the hostilities and sought refuge in eastern Sudan. In response to this Ethiopian refugee crisis, SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL (SI) has decided to restart its activities in Soudan where it was operational in the past. SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL sent an Emergency Response Team end of 2020 and started a WASH response in 2021. Today there are more than 50,000 refugees, most of whom are located in:
- Hamdayet (main entry zone)’s registration refugee area on the border between Eritrea, Sudan and Ethiopia where refugees are then transferred to designated camps;
- Village 8, a partially abandoned village where thousands of refugees have settled or transited;
- Umm Rakuba, located south of Gedaref, this camp was designated by the authorities to host 25 000 refugees, more than 15 000 refugees have already arrived;
- Tunaydbah, a second refugee camp designated by the authorities, 21 000 refugees will be relocated there once Umm Rakuba will have reached its limits. The rainy season renders Tunaydbah’s access difficult. The site is moreover far from ideal to install infrastructures due to soil’s specificities.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL has chosen to implement its WASH activities (water trucking, latrines, showers, hygiene kits, hygiene promotion and desludging) in the camp of Tunaydbah.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL also aims at implementing WASH in health projects (rehabilitation of sanitation and water supply infrastructures of health centers) in different Sudanese cities and villages located in Gedaref State including Tunaydbah village, Basunda, Village 8 and Showak.
Since SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL has just reopened its mission in Sudan, Gedaref is its only base for the moment with no Coordination Team except from the Country Director. The mission is about to secure a budget around 1M euros for the base.
ABOUT THE JOB
Under the direct supervision of the Country Director, the Base Manager/Logistician carries out the representation of SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL for her/his base or her/his geographical area. She/he is responsible of her/his the base life and guarantees the good communication between the different department of her/his base. She/he acts as the security focal point for the base and makes sure all the safety rules and procedures are being followed.
The Base Manager/Logistician will implement and supervise all logistics operations at her/his assigned base.
She/he will organize logistic support for programs, in keeping with SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL procedures.
Specific tasks and main challenges:
- The economic crisis raging in Sudan brings many constraints to the country, notably the hyperinflation of the local currency (the Sudanese Pound) and the development of a very strong parallel economy on the Black Market
- One of the main consequences of this economic crisis is the shortage of fuel oil in the country which will require anticipation and pre-positioning on future needs
- Sudan has also the peculiarity of having a very strong administration with very strict working rules for NGOs, the Base Manager will ensure that these rules are respected
- Transportation is complex and fleet management is requiring (unexperienced drivers, safety considerations)
- Procurement is mixed between Gedaref (most items) and Khartoum
- Processes are not yet completely in place and must be enforced
- Implementing Partners are to be trained on Logistics and follow up is required
- The rainy season that normally starts in May is an additional challenge in terms of logistics
- As Base Manager (new position), interdepartmental coordination is to be fostered and regular meetings need to start taking place
- Relations to the authorities must be carried out in good understanding of local dynamics
- Bachelor degree in a field related to supply and/or logistics
- 1 year minimum experience required in logistics management (or as an assistant of logistics coordinator)
- Previous experiences in the humanitarian field
- Autonomous, organized, ability to prioritize and to work under pressure
- Strong computer skills essential (Pack office, excel)
- English: compulsory
- Arabic: will be an asset but not mandatory
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 2000 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL also covers accommodation costs in the Guest House and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months (with 850 USD allocated by SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL). To these break periods, one additional rest day per month worked are granted.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
LIVING CONDITIONS: The candidate will be based in Gedaref. Living conditions are good. Staff has access to restaurants and can walk in the city during the day. If most of occidental products (food, clothing…) are easily accessible in Khartoum, it won’t be the case in Gedaref which procures the basics.
How to apply
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link:
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/