Desired start date: 10/07/2021
Duration of the mission: 9 months (pending confirmed funding)
Location: Syria – NES – Amuda (location of GH) – Sub base: Hassake - COVID impact: possibly more often in Erbil, Iraq (time for residency, quarantine when returning from holidays)
ABOUT THE MISSION...
Solidarites International (SI) has been working in Syria since 2012. The mission counts about 230 national staff, more than 40 expatriates, and has a 25 million EUR budget forecasted for 2021. There are 3 implementing offices in Syria (2 in North East Syria/NES, 1 in North West Syria/NWS) with the coordination based in Amman - Jordan.
The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations.
Syria mission is dedicated to work in areas recently opened (in 2018 in Deir Ez Zor and Hassakeh Governorate) and in challenging contexts. There are 9 expatriates and 90 national employees on the base and main current activities are related to:
- Wash (water distribution and rehabilitation, latrines and showers, waste management, hygiene promotion) in IDP settlements
- Distribution of essential in kind NFI and cash (wash, shelter, winterization) for vulnerable populations.
- The program includes as well a great part of more “durable” activities as Water stations and network rehabilitations and institutional rehabilitations (hospitals, schools).
- Additionally, SI has a contingency and capacity to respond to emergencies in all NES and has been responding to the COVID-19 crisis (some specifically dedicated grants are ongoing).
ABOUT THE JOB
General objective: To handle the tasks of Administrative Manager
- Administrative management of personnel: Human Resources management and administration of a base of nearly 90 employees in two geographical areas (Amuda and Al Hassake).
- Cash-flow / bookkeeping
- Budgetary / Financial monitoring
Specific tasks and challenges
- Payment process through Money Transfer Agencies
- At least 4 donors and 5 projects to follow financially speaking for an approximatively global budget for the base of 6 million USD.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Ensure the smooth transition between 2 phases of projects. 3 grants end in September. 1 unique grant will start in October (reduction of teams)
- Monitor Covid19 situation within the base
- Ensure the continuity of the support to the program delivery in a very dynamic context;
- Identify needs of improvement and capacity building needs of admin team, follow new structure of admin team, potential new cashier in Hassake and reinforcement of HR team.
Persons under direct management: Deputy HR Manager & Deputy Finance Manager
Number of persons under indirect management: 8
The base is mainly funded under BHA, OFDA, ECHO, ICSP and CDCS grants. The total budget is around 9 million euros.
Education and experience:
Diploma/Education: Bachelor / Master Degree in HR / business / administration
- Minimum: 1 year of a relevant experience with an international humanitarian organization
- Saga / Homere (Knowledge of Homere would be an asset – not mandatory)
- Understanding of recruitment / selection processes
- SI procedures knowledge would be an asset
- Sound knowledge of MS Excel
- Rigorous / autonomous
- Ability to handle an important workload and to prioritize
- Solution oriented personality
- Strong team player
- Good communication skills both oral and written in English
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 1800 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly i.e. 1980 euros gross per month) and valorization according to experience (+100€/year of humanitarian experience on an equivalent position and +50€/year of humanitarian experience on a non-equivalent position) and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Security inside NES is volatile and justifies specific arrangements for accommodation and displacements in the areas of intervention. Adherence to strict security procedures is necessary, while the security levels can vary according to the different geographical locations and the changes of context.
However, the impact on the life in Amuda itself is quite limited (freedom to walk in all the village for example, no curfew). The field expatriate team is based in Amuda where the main office is. The sub-base of Hassake is currently scaling up and temporary stay over may be considered in the future to ease transportation. Amuda is peaceful village and expats are free to move around though activities aren’t plenty. Conditions in the Guesthouses are good: individual rooms all with ACs and satisfactory internet and electricity.
Over the last period due to covid restrictions and challenges (some quarantine in particular), expats have been spending some time in Erbil (Iraq).
COVID 19 :
Solidarités International recommends vaccination against Covid-19, using WHO approved vaccines. If possible, the vaccination should be done before departure in order to reduce the logistical constraints once on the ground.
How to apply
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link:
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/