The duties of the SO are: -
· Ensure that all PAH-South Sudan programme activities and locations are assessed and monitored relative to their impact on staff safety and security, and make recommendations on protocols and practice to reduce staff risk and vulnerability.
· In consultation with the Head of Mission, Field Coordinators and Focal Persons continuously monitor the security / safety environment nationally and locally for all PAH programme areas and make recommendations to the Head of Mission and field focal persons.
· Ensure that contingency plans for Evacuation, Relocation, Hibernation, and Medical Evacuation are in place, disseminated and adopted amongst staff including a detailed contextual assessment and situational update which is revised at least quarterly.
· Ensure and regularly reassess that PAH vehicles, premises and equipment are compliant with internationally recognized safety and security standards.
· Conduct local analysis of incidents to inform future security management.
· In conjunction with the Head of Mission and other relevant staff, assist in the debriefing of staff that has experienced security incidents or 'near miss' incidents.
· Coordinate post-incident follow up actions, analysis and recommendations.
· Ensure that communication systems are adequate and maintained. Provide training to staff on the use of such equipment and communications protocols in conjunction with the supply chain
· Conduct security assessments in new areas prior to entry by PAH programme staff, in collaboration with Coordinators and Focal persons.
· Ensure that briefing documents and maps are developed to help orient all new staff (national and international) about the overall security situation in South Sudan and the particular threats and procedures in the areas where staff will be based.
· Ensure that a centralized filing system of security-related documents is maintained.
· Conduct ongoing threat assessments and compile reports on security assessments of offices, staff guest houses, field sites and project areas.
· Ensure Security briefings (arrival and complete) are of adequate quality and done in timely manner.
· work with national and international staff to build a shared understanding of security analysis and risk mitigation.
· With the support of the Head of Mission, develop a standardized security training method and provide security training for all staff in safety and security related subjects ensuring that policy and guidelines are understood and are being adopted and implemented across the programme.
· Coordinate and liaise on programme safety and security matters with all relevant actors in country such as national and international NGOs, UN, Donor organizations, government authorities and other stakeholders within the population.
· Proactively share information with staff in the Country Office and in the field ensuring high security awareness levels, close situation monitoring and effective two-way communication on security-related issues.
· Ensure all new staff members receive a comprehensive orientation and are fully conversant with security protocols and requirements.
To fulfil those tasks, the SO must demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills in security and safety management including:
· NGO Experience
· Work experience in insecure/hostile environment
· Ability to work within a multi-cultural, multi ethnic team
· Experience and knowledge of personnel and organizational security issues, threat/risk assessment, security management and security awareness in an insecure environment.
· Ability to adapt to needs and balance demands of beneficiary and security actors while maintaining appropriate contextual NGO security advice and coordination.
· Ability to manage a high degree of rational behavior and decision making at all times irrespective of the gravity of the security environment.
· Ability to discern and uphold the programmatic interest status and safety of the mission at all times.
· Sound knowledge of humanitarian principles impartiality and neutrality as outlined in the humanitarian Charter and the International Red Cross Code of Conduct.
· Strong report writing and interpersonal skills
Desirable personal characteristics:
· Remains productive when under pressure
· Demonstrates a systematic and efficient approach to work
· Works collaboratively with team members to achieve results
· Relates and works well with people of different cultures, gender and backgrounds.
· Excellent team skills; and able to work discretely and professionally with sensitive and confidential information.
How to apply
Application Submission Criteria:
v Please send a covering letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the Person Specification along with your CV to Human Resources at email@example.com or submit your application to PAH Juba Office next to Nile Fortune Hotel.
v Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line i.e. “Application for the position of Security Officer”
v Note: due to urgent need to fill this position, short listing may take place before the advertisement dead line.
We appreciate your application however, only short listed candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within the closing date, we regret that your application has been unsuccessful.