Location: London or Edinburgh
Position Status: Full-time, permanent
Reporting to: Director of Finance
Salary: circa 53k London, circa 45K Edinburgh - depending on experience + benefits
Closing Date: apply with CV and Cover Letter before May 17th 2021
**Candidates must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.
Some travel is a requirement for the role. **
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps (MCG) is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps Europe (MCE) has grown rapidly both in terms of the size of activity and its complexity. With offices in Edinburgh, London, The Hague and Geneva, we now attract over £130m in income, and employ around 120 domestic and expatriate field team members. The breadth and impact of our programmes makes Mercy Corps a unique and truly rewarding place to work. Our teams are proud of what we achieve in the field and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment.
The Senior Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) Manager was created as a result of the significant growth of Mercy Corps in Europe. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious FP&A professional to contribute significantly to the finance function that will support our further development, internal controls and expansion.
The Senior FP&A Manager will provide the valuable contribution towards our forward-looking aspects; financial planning – forecasting, budgeting and highlighting performance issues where escalation is required to the FD and MCE Senior Leadership team. Reporting to our Director of Finance, s/he will work closely with the finance team, which includes the Financial Controller and with the international finance team, who manage all the financial stages of MCE grant management, from proposal development and initial budgeting, to compliance and final reporting.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Planning and Analysis
- Lead financial planning and analysis in line with strategic vision set by senior management. Translate strategic vision into actionable financial plans.
- Own and give direction to the budgeting and planning processes.
- Develop and implement forecasting models and review performance against actuals and budget.
- Initiate, create and maintain a range of regular financial models, reports and analysis, including insightful performance analysis, ensuring information is meaningful, clear and fitting for the audience it serves. This includes, but is not limited to reporting & tracking for FX, co-financing, cost recovery, cashflow and general audit requirements.
- Support FD engagement for Board, Committees and Senior Management.
- Provide analytical support and back-up to Senior Director of Financial, Planning & Analysis (in MCG) when on leave
- Support implementation of a new agency FP&A system including business partnering with European budget holders to educate on the new process.
- Act as a cross-functional business partner and make analysis and recommendations on procedures, processes and systems to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of finance function, whilst taking into account appropriate controls and integrity of financial information and resources.
- Undertake special projects and ad hoc analysis as required
rElationships and team working
- Build and maintain strong working relationships across the organization at all levels, particularly with Finance in the US, and with Financial Controller and Head of International Finance in Europe.
- Work confidently with budget holders and present to Director-level colleagues where appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to extract data and information that inform analysis and future planning.
- Provide colleagues with appropriate information and resources to improve performance of the finance function and reach organizational objectives.
Supervisory Responsibility: none
Reports Directly To: Director of Finance
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Fully or part-qualified accountant, or equivalent experience.
- Ideally 5+ years' experience in an FP&A role, or comparable position.
- Strong data extraction and manipulation skills, and advanced Excel skills including pivot tables.
- Demonstrable analytical and report-writing skills.
- Experience of working in a multi-national organization (ideally with a US entity) is strongly preferred.
- Exposure to working in a matrix structure and/or a consultancy environment would be an advantage.
- Experience of working in organizations dealing with high value contracts preferred.
- Technically competent to gain understanding of the financial reporting system including chart of accounts set up quickly.
- Experience of working with SUN (including Q&A function) finance system would be an advantage although not essential.
- Strong technical accounting skills with IFRS exposure including ability to create new models and processes based on information needs
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills - able to communicate complex information effectively across the organization and build effective working relationships with Senior Management Team
- Persuasive and professional communication skills (written and oral).
- Pro-active, flexible, problem-solving approach and ability to think outside the box
- Ability to prioritize workload and work well under pressure. The post holder will be expected to be flexible in the ways hours are worked to perform the role effectively.
- Perform any other duties consistent with the nature and grade of the role as agreed with the Director of Finance.
- Passion for, and a clear empathy with, the organization’s aims and values.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally as required.
The successful candidate will be proactive, thoughtful and inquisitive, someone who is able to get deep into data but also have a clear vision of, and a passion for, the bigger end goal. Ideally, s/he will be used to working in an international environment and dealing with high value grants and contracts. The ability to build excellent relationships across the organization will be key to success in the role.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to apply
Please apply with CV and Cover Letter before May 17th 2021 at following link: https://jobs.jobvite.com/mercycorps/job/oDelffwb