(Job Ref: SOS-UG/JOBS/2021/06)
SOS Children’s Villages is an independent, locally registered, child-focused, social development non- governmental organization with a strong reputation for providing quality care and protection, education and health needs for vulnerable children. Since its inception in 1991, SOS CV Uganda has reached over 60,000 children, youths and adults directly and indirectly to become empowered and self-reliant to contribute significantly to the needs of their families and communities. Works in partnership with a number of donors, (institutional and corporate agencies) including; Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD), Austrian Development Agency (ADA), Grieg Foundation, ERIKS Development Partner, USAID/Bantwana World Education, European Union, AVIS Foundation, Brand Charity, USAID/Uganda Private Health Support Program (UPHSP), Terre des Hommes (TDH), Stanbic Bank Uganda, DHL – Go Teach, Madhvani Group of Companies.
SOS Children’s Villages Uganda is seeking qualified candidate to fill the following position;
HEAD, HUMAN RESOURCE AND ADMINISTRATION (1)
Reports to : National Director
Supervises : HR Officer, Administrator
Functionally Supervises : Location HR/Administration Officers
The Head, Human Resource and Administration (HHRA) primarily responsible for leading the strategic function of human resource (HR) management within the National Association (NA). The role supports the SOS mission and goals through effectively aligned HR/OD strategy, policy, procedure and systems and brings about organizational effectiveness and positive changes through appropriate organisation and HR development interventions. The HHRA supports the daily operations of the organisation and plans the administrative processes and activities to ensure they are carried out efficiently and effectively. He / she leads a team of professionals to complete a range of administrative duties including transport, logistics and facility maintenance.
Under the general direction of National Director, the HHRA is accountable for the following:
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
HR/OD Strategy, Policy and Systems
· Provide leadership in the development, promotion and implementation of HR Strategy / policy that guides staff behaviour, conduct, and commitment to achieve organizational mission and objective.**
· Prepare department's Annual Plan & Budget to complement HR/OD strategy and policy.
· Coordinate with the relevant departments to ensure procedures, practices and processes are in place to support strategic work and directions.**
· Regularly and continuously conducts organizational diagnostic surveys to identify system, structural gaps and recommend appropriate OD/ HRD interventions.
· Build and promote leadership and managerial competencies of HR/OD staff by assigning higher level responsibilities as and when needed.**
· Benchmarks HR/OD policy and best practices from SOS National Associations and other similar organizations.
Workforce Planning, Recruitment and Selection
§ Establish the HR needs for the organisation in consultation with the ND, NO Functional Heads and Programme Directors.
§ Leads workforce reviews, development and planning processes, as well as the development of HR strategies and objectives for the National Association.
§ Develops and delivers plans and processes for staff recruitment, including induction and orientation;
§ Leads staff interviews and establishes interview panels ensuring that panels are well-balanced.
§ Processes staff employment documentation including offer / appointment letters, contracts and job descriptions based on established staff employment policies and procedures.
§ Maintains employee database
Compensation and Benefits
§ Design, implement, and manage salary classification and compensation programs.
§ Conduct analysis of compensation and benefits within company.
§ Prepare occupational classifications, job descriptions, and salary scale.
§ Develop job descriptions for various positions and determine appropriate base pay.
§ Analyze surveys to ensure appropriate compensation across all departments.
Staff Performance Management:
§ Manage core Performance Management and feedback processes.
§ Develop manager capability on employing these processes to obtain results.
§ Ensure accurate and written job descriptions with clear job accountabilities reporting lines and career paths
§ Ensure that appraisals are carried out in a timely and effective manner and follows up on the practice of staff performance evaluations by project managers,
§ Works with line managers to implement recommended actions on cases of persistent poor performance.
§ Promotes a performance culture within the organisation.
Training and Development
§ Support professional development of all staff, including strengthening capacity, building skills and delegating authority to support professional growth.
§ Develop training plans and programs; organize training sessions, workshops, and activities across the National Association.
§ Manage the approved Training budget, ensuring all operational activities are conducted within the approved budget.
§ Seeks / produces reports after every training event to be utilised as references when assessing the effects of training and in following up after-training needs.
§ Provide coaching, mentoring and opportunities for HR staff growth and career plans.
§ Provide apt advice and counsel to Line mangers on talent management, performance management, conflict resolution and other areas of employee relations.
§ Facilitate and guide various stakeholders on corrective actions, grievances, conflicts and disciplinary procedures
§ Ensure resolution of all staff welfare issues within agreed timelines.
Compliance with labour laws and global HR / OD Guidelines
§ Review and update HR/OD Policy to ensure consistent implementation, interpretation, communication and compliance.
§ Review current policy practices, interpretation and compliance ensuring good participation of staff teams, Management and the Board of Trustees.
§ Advises the National Director on major changes in HR policy and ensures compliance with both SOS-KDI policies as well as the Uganda Labour Laws.
§ Regularly and continuously conduct organizational diagnostic surveys to identify gaps calling for system change, structure and recommend appropriate OD/ HRD interventions.
· Plan and coordinate administrative procedures and systems and devising ways to streamline processes
· Supervising day-to-day operations of the administrative function, ensuring proper contract administration and documentation.
· Develop, review, and improve administrative systems, policies, and procedures.
· Ensure operations adhere to policies and regulations.
· Keeps record of insurance coverage.
· Manage all activities related to systems, facility services, maintenance activities, equipment, office activities and schedules.
· Ensure the smooth and adequate flow of information within the organisation to facilitate the smooth and efficient running of business operations
· Monitor inventory of office supplies.
· Ensuring office is stocked with necessary supplies and all equipment is working and properly maintained.
· Works with the National Director to develop, plan, schedule and promote office events, including corporate functions, meetings and conferences.
· Supervise preparation of department's reports, staff update and monthly update.
· Establish document management system.
· Performs other duties as assigned and deemed necessary under the direction of the ND.
BEHAVIOURS - LIVING SOS VALUES
§ Courage: We take action
§ Commitment: We keep our promises
§ Trust: We believe in each other
§ Accountability: We are reliable partners
REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
§ Bachelor’s degree with Master’s degree and / or Post graduate diploma in HRM/HRD/OD
§ A minimum of five years’ relevant work experience at senior level
§ A track record with sourcing, recruiting and closing extraordinary talent
§ Strong program management skills
§ Experience with defining and presenting recruiting and pipeline metrics and data
§ Working knowledge of Uganda labour laws and regulations
COMPETENCIES: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
§ Excellent computer, interpersonal and team working skills
§ Ability to work in a multicultural work environment
§ Ability to facilitate and champion change in an organization
§ Ability to demonstrate good judgment and maintain confidentiality and discretion
· Ability to engage and work with Partners and stakeholders
· Ability to plan for and keep track of multiple projects and deadlines.
· Exceptional leadership and time, task, and resource management skills.
§ Excellent organizational and multitasking skills
§ Interpersonal and team working skills
§ Familiarity with budget planning and enforcement, human resources, and customer service procedures.
§ Strong problem solving, critical thinking, coaching, interpersonal, and verbal and written communication skills.
§ Should be analytical, knowledgeable, and organized with a proactive attitude**
How to apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, please send your application letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV), and photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three traceable referees to the address below to reach not later than Monday 10th May 2021:
· The National Director
SOS Children’s Villages Uganda,
Plot 53 Ntinda II Road
Electronic Applications must be sent as one Single PDF Document not exceeding ten pages to: email@example.com**
Applications that are late, do not have CV or certificates or exceeds eight pages or electronically submitted as images will be disqualified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.