Job Title: Chief of Party I- Sanitation Activity, DRC
Job Location: Kinshasa
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Reports to: Deputy Country Representative Programming, DRC
*This post is contingent on donor funding.
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is one of the most populous, vast and resource rich countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Decades of conflict and other challenges over the past decades have left t he Congo with an 80 percent poverty rate, an annual per capita income of just over $120, inadequate social and health services, and weak governmental institutions. Given its fragility and weak institutions, the country is susceptible to health crises, including recent outbreaks of Ebola, measles, cholera and COVID-19.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. CRS has operated in the DRC since 1961, successfully implementing programs in nutrition, agriculture livelihoods, emergency, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), health, microfinance, and peacebuilding throughout the country. CRS/DRC currently has around 180 staff operating out of 6 offices in Kinshasa, Goma (North Kivu), Kananga (Kasai Central), Mbuji Mayi (Kasai Oriental), Kalemie (Tanganyika), and Bukavu (South Kivu).
Pending a successful bid for the award, as Chief of Party I you will provide leadership and overall management of a multi-year program focused on driving supply and demand for sanitation services and creating an enabling environment for improved sanitation marketing in rural and peri-urban areas of the D.R. Congo, likely focused on North Kivu, South Kivu, Kasai Orientale, Kasai Central and Lomami provinces. The project will be designed in collaboration with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). Your leadership, management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming and advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in market-based WASH programming adopting innovative and scalable approaches to sustainably improve sanitation conditions and access to sanitation services for vulnerable populations. As a senior leader you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
The Chief of Party (CoP) will oversee the development, management and implementation of a high-quality program focused on private sector-focused interventions driving consumer demand and improved access to sanitation services in rural and peri-urban areas. The program will focus on three illustrative high-level objectives outlined by USAID – subject to change – such as: 1) Private sector-led supply of quality sanitation and hygiene services and products increased; 2) Household demand for quality sanitation and hygiene services and products increased; 3) Enabling environment for strengthened sanitation markets. The program will emphasize conflict-sensitivity and the inclusion of women, youth, and other marginalized groups.
The Chief of Party will ensure that activities are needs-driven and evidence-based, adhering to CRS program quality standards for emergency and development and employing best practices based on a long history of multi-sectoral interventions in DR Congo. He or she will ensure compliance with CRS and donor requirements and will maintain positive and productive relati onships with the donor and partners throughout the co-creation process and project lifecycle.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Lead all aspects of the development, implementation and management of the program, including sharing how the project contributes to the thought leadership of the WASH sector. Serve as the primary point of contact to the donor as well as public, private and non-government stakeholders.
- Ensure the project is designed and implemented to meet donor expectations in terms of timely and quality results and budget, including strategies for phase out and sustainability. Ensure coordination between program and operations leads. Ensure the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
- Effectively manage senior programming and operations talent. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching and mentoring. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Oversee the development of staffing plans and the recruitment of senior staff.
- Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and local issues that may impact staff and programming. Ensure all staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans and ensure the updating of such plans.
- Promote, uphold and model a commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources. Ensure compliance with donor grants, including financial tracking and oversight of partner budgets, finance, administration and reporting to donor. Approve program expenditures, budget adjustments, and cost modification requests to donors.
- Oversee the development of communication strategies and materials, complying with donor and CRS’ branding and marketing requirements and procedures.
- Coordinate relationships with consortium partner organizations, including organization of review/planning workshops. Contribute to coordination of the roles and activities of staff from other consortium member organizations in implementation in line with CRS partnership principles.
Required Languages – English, French.
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 30 %. The position will be located in Kinshasa.
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Prior experience as a Chief of Party or comparable senior leadership position.
- Demonstrated experience of successful program management, including management of complex, high-value, multi-activity projects with significant focus on market-based sanitation approaches.
- Experience engaging partners (local organizations, private sector, government, etc.) and empowering local stakeholders through locally driven interventions adopting durable approaches. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
- Experience building relationships with private-sector partners.
- Ability to represent and present at high levels.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.