IntraHealth International is anticipating funding from CDC to support the Ministry of Health (MOH) strengthen the capacity of South Sudan Public Health Institute; the surveillance, data management systems and processes and county-level M&E capacity for disease outbreak emergency preparedness and response in South Sudan. In addition, IntraHealth in collaboration with other partners work to support the MOH to improve the availability, quality, synthesis and communication of multi disease health data in the country. The health Information System Software Developer/ DHIS2 Software Developer will assess, design, develop and implement robust Health Information’s Systems that supports quality data collection and analysis to meet the needs of multiple health programs. S/he will collaborate with the MOH to provide expert technical and programmatic guidance on Health Information systems with particular emphasis on District Health Information System 2 (DHIS 2), laboratory information system (LIS), Logistics Management Information System (LMIS), COVID DHIS-2 Module; DHIS-2 client tracker and other systems that may be identified at the MOH. In addition, s/he will work with the Health Information Systems administrator and analyst, Epidemiologist and the M&E officer, Strategic Information manager, various health information system officer at the different departments at MOH. The systems developed will be member of the South Sudan Health Information Systems program (HISP) core team that will be led by the Strategic Information Manager. S/he will be responsible for supporting the configuration, development and deployment of DHIS2 and DHIS-2 inter-operable modules for data management.
- Lead in the interoperability efforts currently undertaken by MOH especially between DHIS 2 and: the Viral Load Sample Management Systems (VLSM) at the National Public Health Laboratory (NPHL), the electronic TB reporting (eTBR) system, the Electronic Medical Records System (EMR), the early warning and alert reporting system (EWARS) for Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response(IDSR)
- Work closely with systems analysts, systems administrator and program managers and M&E staff to translate user requirements into detailed DHIS-2 and DHIS-2 inter-operable modules product specifications
- Use detailed specifications requirements to design DHIS2 instance configuration.
- Configure DHIS2 instance to manage the entire data cycle from collection, to management, to visualization, analyses and feedback.
- When needed, write additional code required for add-on DHIS2 components using the DHIS2 web API.
- Test the product in the production environment before going live.
- Maintain systems once they are up and running, coordinating deployments with the HISP South Sudan team.
- Conduct user acceptance testing (UAT) and use the findings to refine the system
- Develop training manuals for users and participate in user trainings
- Develop the required standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the system use
- Develop code documentation and design documentation.
- Participate and contribute to open-source software communities of practice and champion and promote the Principles of Digital Development
- Lead the interoperability layer development to facilitate in the integration of system and liaise with the regional HISPs as well as the University of Oslo to facilitate the interoperability of the key systems in the country.
- Develops DHIS-2 tracker for longitudinal client tracking for chronic diseases such as HIV and TB and outbreaks management
- Develop the necessary documentation that will include a clear implementation plan for the requirements for both back end development and interoperability layer development.
- Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working with DHIS2 to configure the application back end and develop using the DHIS2 Web Application Programming Interface -API (experience with other open source software is a plus).
- Knowledge of principles of software design, coding, testing, and deployment
- Knowledge of principles of database design, data acquisition and data access analysis and design
- Knowledge of stored procedure writing, query optimization, and indexes
- Experience with front- and back-end web-based applications and familiar with various web service technologies.
- Experience working with agile and waterfall development methodologies (The Waterfall methodology—also known as the Waterfall Model—is a sequential software development process, where progress flows steadily toward the conclusion (like a waterfall) through the phases of a project (that is, analysis, design, development, testing, deployment and maintenance).
- Experience deploying and maintaining software on Windows and Linux servers; including cloud platforms
- Experience working in continuous integration/continuous delivery and deployment (CI/CD) environments with knowledge in Git.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, complex and agile environment with changing requirements and priorities while completing tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to take direction to iteratively define and implement solution as requirements are being identified and finalized.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, with some of the team members being remote and providing support.
- Strong communication skills and an eye for detail
- DHIS2 certification and experience with DHIS2 tracker is a plus
- Ability and willingness to work extra time under difficult conditions
Strategic Thinking -Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating, and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision-making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans. Attention to details is particularly important.
Innovation - Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives that result in improvement of IntraHealth performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
Client Relationship Management -Knowledge and ability to determine and satisfy client needs (internally and externally) and maintain partnering and productive relationships during engagements, including influencing, communicating, presenting, facilitating, and managing new relationships
Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
Service Excellence - Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
Effective Communication (Oral and Written) - Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
Planning and Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed upon strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
Interpersonal Relationships - Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across Divisions, Departments/Country Offices in a constructive and collaborative manner.
How to apply
Interested and competent candidates can submit their application Letter, copy of National ID card, Academic Credentials and a Curriculum Vitae (CV) including contact details of 3 professional references who must be the most recent or current supervisor. Use this email address for submission Recruitment-SS@intrahealth.org