Social Impact (SI) is a Washington, DC-area international development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over one hundred countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
Social Impact is a trusted provider of independent, rigorous impact evaluations. SI’s Impact Evaluation (IE) Division emphasizes methodological rigor, while realizing that each evaluation occurs in a unique operating environment. We customize every impact evaluation to meet client needs and to align with programmatic realities. SI frequently employs mixed-methods approaches, building on the strength of both quantitative and qualitative techniques, rather than relying on a narrow set of design options. Utilizing a range of impact evaluation methodologies, including randomized control trials (RCTs) and a suite of quasi-experimental designs, we draw from deep expertise with up to date, effective, and innovative methodologies and data collection techniques. SI IE staff possess in-depth knowledge of emerging and innovative evaluation trends. Our team has experience using up-to-date methodologies including a full suite of experimental and quasi-experimental methods, electronic and mobile data collection, sensors, randomized response strategies, geospatial data collection and analysis, and others.
The Senior Program Associate reports to Project Directors on individual projects and a Senior Program Manager as their main supervisor.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this is a remote position through September 2021. When SI determines that it is safe for staff to return to the office, the Senior Program Associate will be based in the Washington, DC-area.
Service Delivery (75%)
Senior Program Associates are expected to manage a portfolio of evaluations, carrying out core managerial and coordination functions, and participating in technical work as appropriate, with oversight by Project Directors and other senior technical project staff. Senior Program Associates are responsible for delegating to and overseeing the work of junior staff on individual contracts, and coordinating with consultants, subcontractors, and clients. Senior Program Associates will manage evaluations through their life cycle from start-up and design phases through multiple rounds of data collection, analysis, reporting, and dissemination. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Establish, monitor, and update evaluation work plans and budgets.
- Coordinate evaluation team inputs for contract deliverables.
- Oversee mobilization and logistical preparations for evaluation team travel.
- Serve as a responsive point of contact for clients, and support contract reporting requirements.
- Work with Finance Department to ensure that financial reporting requirements are met, to monitor project financial status, and ensure compliance with evaluation budgets.
- Identify and recruit personnel for evaluation contracts as needed.
- Identify and assist in selecting local data collection partners.
Technical Service Delivery
- Assure high quality deliverables and evaluation reports.
- Conduct background research for the development of IE designs and data collection instruments.
- Oversee the work of local data collection contractors and conduct regular quality control on quantitative and qualitative datasets, using SI’s standard quality control processes.
- Participate in technical work as needed and appropriate, including evaluation design, data collection and analysis, and client reporting and dissemination.
- As appropriate, the Senior Program Associate will be asked to participate in field work, such as data collection, capacity building, program monitoring, or evaluation design, with evaluation teams. These tasks will be graduated to match level of proficiency and skill.
Business Development/Revenue Generation (10-15%):
The Senior Program Associate is expected to support marketing, business and proposal development related to new IE opportunities and, as time permits, other evaluation-related new bids. The Senior Associate may be asked to write technical proposals, review draft proposals, and work with the Finance Department to develop budgets.
Other Management Functions (10-15%):
The Senior Associate may also be asked to support other service area management functions from time to time, and is expected to participate in and/or lead internal initiatives in the Impact Evaluation division as opportunities arise, and as availability allows.
- A Master’s degree in International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Policy, Political Science, or related subject.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant work experience.
- Academic training and/or practical experience in quantitative research/evaluation, including familiarity with IE designs such as RCTs and/or quasi-experimental designs.
- Knowledge of and practical hands-on experience with Stata.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and manage multiple projects simultaneously and provide advice and guidance in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrated expertise in impact evaluation, including familiarity with IE methodologies as well as experience with large-scale surveys and data collection.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee team mobilization, written research products, and quality assurance processes.
- Knowledge of government and/or donor contracting practices.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and implement pertinent company and client policies and procedures clearly and accurately.
- Ability to travel overseas for short-term assignments.
- Knowledge of and practical hands-on experience with electronic data collection programs (ODK, SurveyCTO).
- Demonstrated experience in data science.
- Experience in qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Field experience in managing/participating in quantitative evaluations.
- Demonstrated experience managing or carrying out qualitative, geospatial, or other kinds of data collection.
- Experience working with USAID, MCC, or USG client.
- Experience working in developing countries.
- Proficiency in French highly preferred.
How to apply
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com .
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.