Help Southeast Texas recover from Hurricane Harvey while serving your community!
SBP is looking for passionate, service-minded individuals to join our AmeriCorps team!
SBP is a national nonprofit dedicated to shrinking the time between disaster and recovery. Since 2006, we have rebuilt over 2000 homes and developed affordable housing for people impacted by natural disasters. With the dedication and passion of our staff, AmeriCorps members, and volunteers, we help community members return home to safe, sanitary, and secure conditions.
In Houston and New Orleans, AmeriCorps members may serve in SBP’s Opportunity Housing Program in addition to working with home repair clients. The Opportunity Housing Program provides affordable, storm-resilient, energy-efficient homes for sale and rent to lower-income residents, to help them build resilience before disaster strikes. With this work, SBP seeks to prevent future suffering for the most vulnerable by increasing the supply of storm-resilient, affordable homes. Building new homes in addition to repairing existing ones, SBP also helps communities achieve long-term recovery by building back neighborhoods destroyed by a disaster. AmeriCorps members will gain valuable experience in how to redevelop neighborhoods and create housing that is affordable and resilient.
JOIN the SBP AmeriCorps team and serve 10 months/1700 hours of service in one of the following roles:
As a Project Lead, you will train and coach volunteers in completing basic construction tasks and celebrate volunteer impact.
As a Volunteer Coordinator, you will recruit, onboard, and support volunteers.
As a Supply & Logistics Coordinator, you will coordinate the operations of SBP’s warehouse and delivery system to ensure project sites have the tools and materials they need.
As a Construction Coordinator, you will coordinate subcontractor schedules and monitor the progress of construction projects, ensuring proper permits are secured for each site.
As a Client Services Coordinator you will serve as the point of contact and resource for the clients of SBP, assessing clients’ needs, provide referrals, and offer support throughout the application and rebuilding processes.
As a Disaster Corps Project Lead you will support response efforts immediately following the impact of natural disasters. Project Leads who serve under SBP’s Disaster Corps will be the first on the ground to provide services to impacted vulnerable populations throughout the United States.
Construction experience is NOT required. If you’re committed to learning, have a strong work ethic, and enjoy leading volunteers, we want you on our team.
Watch our Anthem to hear how SBP is helping prevent people from reaching their breaking point.
Learn how AmeriCorps members play a part in the growing national service movement and have the opportunity to develop valuable professional skills.
- Be at least 17 years of age or older.
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
- Ability to commit to serving full-time Monday - Friday from 8 am - 5 pm and an average of 2 Saturdays a month
- Monthly Living stipend of $1,427 (pre - tax) as the only form of compensation
- An additional $150 monthly housing stipend for individuals who have previously served in AmeriCorps, NCCC, or VISTA
- An education award of $6,195 upon successful completion of each 10-month term and a total of 1700 hours of service
- Eligibility to postpone repayment of federally-guarantee student loans during their service term. (The National Service Trust will also pay all or a portion of the interest that accrued during the service period.)
- Free limited benefits health coverage
- Child care assistance
- Valuable professional development and opportunities to further their career
How to apply
Ready to make a big impact? APPLY TODAY by answering the questions and submitting your resume.
Contact Dominique Greer, HR & AmeriCorps Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the program and opportunities to get involved.