Based in Mekelle with frequent travel in Tigray region and the surrounding Amhara and Afar regions, Ethiopia
As per Oxfam benefit package
Fixed-Term contract for 6 months with possible extension.
Hours of work:
37.5 hours per week. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at interview stage
This role reports to:
Staff reporting to this post:
MEAL Officers/MEAL Assistants
Annual budget for the post:
Work closely with internal and external stakeholders including government in Tigray, Amhara and Afar region, consortium Agencies, and Oxfam program and support function teams including program quality and leaning team at Addis Ababa level.
All successful candidates will be screened through Refinitiv World-Check One to comply with counter terrorism and financial sanctions regulations.
Should you be successful and not already employed by Oxfam GB, we will require minimum of two references covering five years of employment history.
DBS checks (for roles based in the UK):
It is a requirement in the UK for a new DBS check at enhanced level for every new member of staff who works directly with, or has regular contact with, children or vulnerable adults in the UK (consistent with DBS guidance and relevant law).
Specific duties include, but not limited to:
MEAL system development and make functional
· Support Oxfam Tigray response programmes, projects, local implementing partners and consortium members in the development of a program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) framework with indicators for output, outcome and impact and, support the development of a strategy that informs effective programme delivery by relevant program staff in Tigray
· Provide MEAL technical support including MEAL activity plan, methodological design, need assessments, baseline, post distribution monitoring, evaluations and performance data collection for all Oxfam projects in Tigray field office including the one implemented by local implementing partners,
· Work closely with Addis Ababa Program quality and Learning/MEAL team and develop MEAL tools and MEAL activities for new projects and programs.
· Timely plan, initiate, lead and coordinate different evaluations, assessments and surveys including KAP surveys/PDMs and Baseline/End line surveys in line with Oxfam Policies and standards of projects implemented directly by Oxfam and partners.
· Support the design and development of innovative tools, apps, templates and resources for effective programme monitoring and reporting of project implemented direct by Oxfam and by local implementing partners.
· In consultation with Program Manager, and with the rest of MEAL team, EFSVL (Emergency Food Security and Vulnerable Livelihoods), WASH, Gender and Protection technical team leaders and other program team, develop evaluation design, including specification of the necessary staff and resources to conduct the evaluation.
· Monitor supervise and coordinate baselines, assessment, evaluations and select and recruit experience enumerators for data collection.
Manage, coordinate and strengthen the data management, data analysis, reporting and information use system of projects
· Compile and review different internal reports, including monthly humanitarian programme progress report, Oxfam Annual output reporting, annual ChSA report, etc and submit to the Response Manager.
· Support Oxfam, Consortium members and local implementing partners MEAL teams and the Oxfam Tigray response programme Manager in preparing donor reports, monthly, quarter and other periodic reports in line with the reporting schedule and MEAL Framework.
· Support Oxfam, Consortium members and local implementing partners MEAL teams in developing/reviewing log frame/result framework, MEAL plan and Indicator Performance Reporting Table (IPTT) of the project(s) and preparing & submit the IPTT report monthly.
· Support Oxfam, Consortium members and local implementing partners MEAL teams in compiling & reporting total number of people reached as per their respective guidelines.
· Work with Oxfam, the Consortium members and local implementing partners MEAL team in documenting best practices in line with the ECHO communication and visibility guidelines
· Work closely with Addis Ababa MEAL team including PQL Manager, Snr. MEAL officer, MEAL officer and establish and implement digital and offline database and accountability systems
· Lead and supervise field data collection, data cleaning and analysis for program managers and team leaders and produce report together with sector technical team.
· Review, revise and update all survey and evaluation reports and ensure data quality including timeliness, relevance, accuracy, completeness and consistency of all program data in the Tigray field office.
· Review and standardize data collectors training to ensure high quality data collection
· Support Oxfam, the consortium members and local implementing partners in the collection of good quality monitoring data in a timely manner and collate/organize data received for reporting and ensure compliance with donor guidelines like for example for ECHO projects as per the guidelines and protocols of ECHO.
· Management and updating central database of KAP surveys end-term results and learning from reflection workshops, learning reviews and evaluations
Capacity Building, Networking and Representation
· Participate in the selection and recruitment of field office MEAL officers and MEAL Assistant and train field MEAL team on Oxfam CAMSA, MEAL frameworks, tools, data collection, analysis and reporting.
· In consultation and collaboration with PQL (Programme Quality & Learning) Manager, Snr. MEAL officer and MEAL officer assist to build capacity of staff through training to ensure adoption of new data monitoring tools and quality of data collected.
· Attending Coordination forums that includes humanitarian accountability
· Facilitate capacity building for field program staff to enable them monitor and evaluate their own efforts, gather relevant data and produce required progress reports
· Provide Technical support and training on MEAL to consortium members MEAL officers (s) and Staff with support from their respective MEAL managers.
· Ensure effective common understanding between Oxfam and Consortium members on MEAL objectives and frameworks and organise orientation / workshops / training
· Support Oxfam, consortium members and local implementing partners, MEAL in undertaking trainings needs assessment and organizing MEAL trainings/Inductions.
Represent in Tigray, Amhara and Afar regions in MEAL working groups or other for a related to MEAL
Program Quality, Learning and Accountability
· Work closely with Oxfam program Manager, and MEAL officers including the consortium members and local implementing partners and implement compliance and feedback mechanism, collect complaints and feedback and communicate with field team.
· Collect and share monthly monitoring and accountability reports, which includes consortium members and local implementing partners
· Assist Oxfam Program Manager, consortium members and local implementing partners and co-facilitate quarterly after-action review including learning and reflection events, stakeholder consultation and proved feedback to program management team.
· Support Oxfam, consortium members and local implementing partners team in the delivery of learning and reflection workshops and other programmatic learning processes and products
· Collecting best practices, case studies, which demonstrate qualitative and quantitative changes over the period including the one of consortium members and local implementing partners.
· Support the setup of a complaint and response mechanism based on the IDPs and host community contexts including the one of consortium members and local implementing partners
· Assure that ICT is used in registration and Data collection in line with the Project MEAL framework.
· Support robust data collection, storage and dissemination for wider learning across teams (intranet, communities-of-practice, mobile-based application, M&E management information system and e-learning platforms)
· Promote the usage of current tools and services for collecting and monitoring data of programmes using Management Information System, quality programming framework with existing indicators, trackers and targets.
· Promote and support monitoring, analysis and learning from assessments of internal standards (Quality Framework) and Core Humanitarian Standards, accountability and transparency standards, protection minimum standards, and others.
· Work with the Oxfam, Consortium members’ and local implementing partners in Tigray response teams to develop a culture of programme quality and knowledge-driven programming, providing support to management for evidence-based decision-making processes.
· Facilitate the input of all relevant teams and staff members into programme design process.
· Lead the implementation of the complaints and response mechanism in the area and support capacity building in line with the accountability action plan.
· Support consortium members and local implementing partners internal reporting and ensure that good quality data is presented for report writing including donor/ECHO reports.
· Ensure that all MEAL work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to gender and protection issues.
· Maintaining evaluation, research and learning repositories
· Liaising with all other staff and actors in Tigray operation for improved coordination and learning.
· Ensuring that Oxfam, consortium and local implementing partners programmes are implemented in a consultative, participative and gender sensitive way
· Undertaking any other reasonable duty and tasks that may from time to time be requested by line manager and team members consistent with the nature of the job and level of responsibility
· Other duties as assigned by the Program Manager, and the Program Quality & Learning Manager
· Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff safety health and wellbeing principles.
· The post holder expected to be familiar with and abide by the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS), NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes (e.g. InterAction Field Co-operation Protocol, including safeguarding.
· Depending on the situation, the post holder may be asked to perform other tasks as requested by the Manager.
Essential - Experience, Knowledge, Qualifications & Competencies
· Relevant qualification; MSc or BSc. in Economics, Development studies, Statistics/Management or another related field
· Proven ability & experience in programme monitoring, evaluation, accountability & learning (MEAL) – Minimum 5 years preferably in emergency response programmes and local contexts in Ethiopia (experience in Tigray is a strong plus)
· Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
· Knowledge and practice of safe programming and international standards like Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS), SPHERE, LEGS etc
· Knowledge of data collection and analysis software, scripting skills (SurveyCTO is a plus)
· Excellent computer skills and ability to work in a challenging and dynamic context
· Excellent English writing skills
· Fluent English language, ability to communicate in local languages would be an added advantage
· Commitment to overcome poverty and suffering.
· Proven experience in gender analysis and integrating gender and safe programming(protection) into programmes.
· Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
· Ability to travel and to work in difficult circumstances
· Training and facilitation skills
· Fluency in English is essential
· Experience of working effectively within a large international agency including, in Tigray response setting, previous experience with ECHO, OFDA, UNICEF projects would be an added advantage
· Research background and knowledge of statistical packages (SPSS or STATA)
· Good understanding of WASH and EFSVL programming in Tigray response programming
· Prior experience training/accompanying/learning in the field.
· Experience leading strategy development and implementation monitoring in collaboration with staff
· Proven ability to synthesize and distil information from a variety of sources, to draw lessons from project documentation
Applicant with knowledge of local language is preferable.
Your commitment to Oxfam
· Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
· Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
· Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
· Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
· Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
· Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
· Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Note to candidates: Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organisational values and attributes at the interview stage. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to adhere to our code of conduct. We encourage candidates to read and understand our code of conduct here.**
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile through Oxfam application portal https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/13805/description on or before 18 April 2021. Your application will be shortlisted based on your CV and your responses to the above questions. You need not comment on your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.