Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Employment type: temporary, fixed-term (8 month) consultancy
Deadline: 30 April 2021
SEI Asia, based in Bangkok, has a diverse team of multinational experts that integrates scientific research with participatory approaches to co-develop and share knowledge, build partnerships, and influence policy for resilient development. It focuses on gender and social equity, climate adaptation, disaster risk reduction, water insecurity and integrated water resources management, transitional agriculture, renewable energy and urbanization.
SEI Asia is an affiliate of Chulalongkorn University (CU), Thailand. SEI and CU have inked a long-term agreement to foster innovative scientific research combined with effective policy engagement on development and environmental challenges in Asia.
SEI Asia is seeking a multi-talented, intellectually curious, and process-minded Project Assistant. This role is essential to ensuring the smooth activities of our research team. You will work closely with researchers in the Water Cluster and mainly support the Water Beyond Boundaries (WBB) research team. This high-profile project is focusing on introducing new ways of thinking about sustainable water planning in both the Mekong and Magdalena (Colombia).
The role will be multi-faceted but will support teams in policy analysis and implement on-ground stakeholder management in Northern Thailand and perform innovative multi-interest, multi-scale participatory approaches in water. You will also undertake field work logistics, data collection, policy analysis and input to hydrological water modelling.
Key duties and responsibilities
Be directed by and contributing to the SEI Initiative on Water Beyond Boundaries:
- Perform desk-based literature reviews, data/information search/collection (information to be gathered would be relevant to stakeholder engagement issues, water management plan; Nam Songkhram Basin, etc.)
- Translate and/or summarize information in English
- Translate key information from Thai to English and English to Thai
- Assist with liaison activities with stakeholders, both non-government and government, including Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), NGOs and other relevant actors
- Assist the team with organizing field trips including administration and logistics
- Support field missions in field data collection and questionnaire surveys
- Gather, consolidate, interpret, and summarize data/information collected from the field and leveraging these insights into analytics to support key outcomes of the project
- Assist the team with processing and analysing of qualitative and quantitative data
- Assist with meeting preparations
- Write reports
Who you are
We are looking for an individual who is highly organized and with a keen interest in the work of an international research institute like SEI. You should be able to support the research teams to conduct multiple-tasks – but with a focus on stakeholder engagement. You should have strong interpersonal skills and excellent English and Thai language skills. Experience of data field collection and creating questionnaire surveys will be an advantage.
Formal qualifications and knowledge
- A degree in social science, environmental science, natural resources management, engineering, computer science, or other related field
- At least 3 years of experience working in policy and data analysis, field data collection, coordination on diverse projects
- Some knowledge/understanding of water resources sciences and environmental sciences
- Familiarity with computer programs, including MS Office programs and internet applications
- Proficient in literature review, data searching from internet and extraction of information
- Proven experience of field work on data collection and questionnaire survey including coordination
- Excellent English and Thai language skills with ability to summarize key scientific information
Personal skills required
- Effective interpreter and communicator
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to adapt to and enjoy working in, an international, multicultural and multilingual environment
How to apply
SEI Asia is an equal opportunity employer and consider all applications on the basis of qualifications and competencies regardless of, but not limited to, race, national origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability and marital status. We are committed to ensuring diversity and equality within our organization and applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than 30 April 2021, 23:59 Bangkok local time.
Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience.
As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and outlining how you address the key duties and responsibilities
- Curriculum vitae covering experience and qualifications