GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $500m since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 500,000 people, and launched offices in 7 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
About the Role
We are seeking an entrepreneurial manager to support GiveDirectly’s next phase of innovation: sourcing and helping bring to market “the next big ideas” that transform how GiveDirectly, and the sector delivers cash. You will be a champion, thought partner, market researcher and co-implementer for our field teams. You will support the Innovation Director and country leaders to find multiple markets for scalable solutions, ensuring that GD’s best ideas achieve full maturity across multiple contexts. You will also be part of a team that manages the organization’s Big Idea Innovation Fund that catalyzes innovation across the organization.
We are seeking an exceptional strategist and versatile operator. Success in this role requires being able to produce compelling market assessments and pitch decks on one day, and quantitatively assess a new payment tool’s performance the next. You will have to be comfortable making investment recommendations at a rapid pace, and backup a compelling investment thesis with clear evidence and a strong argument. As GiveDirectly’s first innovation manager, you will be responsible for championing and fostering a culture of innovation, enabling the organization to make, and deliver on big bets.
- Partner with field leaders to research and take to market outstanding ideas with potential to deliver step function changes to scale, speed, funding and other quality metrics
- Quantitatively assess and make investment recommendations about investments in new fields, operations and technologies
- Prepare pitch material such as decks, write ups and talking points for senior leadership
- Pitch, cajole, gain access to, negotiate with partners to deliver on innovation goals
- Support the development of GiveDirectly’s first, “product” development lifecycle, to find GD’s next big idea
- Support the administering of an internal fund that can be administered to country offices or used within the innovation team to demonstrate proofs of concept of outstanding ideas
- Support the Innovation Director’s fundraising to bring ideas to market
- 3+ years in fast paced, high performing, analytical professional environment
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Analytical problem solving skills-- Looks at problems with analytical and iterative mindset, with strong ability to assess tradeoffs and make clear prioritizations
- Out of the box thinker-- Able to find new solutions to old problems
- An ability to put structure and process to ambiguous problems
- Experience as an organized and reliable process manager
- Exceptional relationship management: you are consummate at building relationships with clients, government officials, field stakeholders and donors
- Proficient in quantitative analysis on excel and visual communications via powerpoint
- Experience in making investment decisions, whether at a startup, innovation-oriented nonprofit, or through impact investing, venture capital, strategy consulting, private equity, investment banking
- Experience working in developing countries or emerging markets
- Experience writing memos or policy briefs
In addition to the specific skills required for each role, we’re looking for candidates who are aligned with our GD Values, and who demonstrate our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**