Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Systems Department in the U.S. office of Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) acts like the organization's central nervous system, providing the vital information infrastructure to ensure the smooth functioning of all its operations. The Systems Department is responsible for building, configuring and maintaining the technical architecture, both physical and virtual, which ensures MSF can achieve the ambitions of its mission.
The Systems Applications Intern will support the activities of the Systems Team in a rapidly evolving technology environment. S/he will learn how an IT department runs within a non-profit and also have the opportunity, through working in the office, to learn about MSF's programs, and how it operates in the United States.
The Systems Applications Intern will spend 75% of their time working closely with the Systems Department Project Managers to provide administrative and application support to enable the team to achieve its daily objectives. This includes everything from; coordinating schedules and facilitating meetings, updating project management software, providing administrative support to the Project Managers, creating dashboards to track metrics, helping to troubleshoot application issues for end-users and any other tasks required to support the project objectives.
The other 25% of the time will be spent and supporting the Help Desk with general IT support such as maintaining, upgrading, and troubleshooting issues for end-users when required. Video and teleconferencing are used extensively at MSF and the Systems Applications Intern will also be expected to learn how to use and support these tools.
This internship is ideal for anyone interested in learning about project management principles for IT Systems, the deployment, use and support of applications on a national and international basis for non-profit and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
The Systems Applications Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks, full training will be given;
- Provide full administrative support to the Project Managers
- Provide application support for end users (such as Power BI, CRM)
- Assist in reporting and documentation of various elements of the MSF-USA Systems Department
- Support technology needs for meetings, tele and video conferences, and a variety of other events and presentations
- Set up technology resources for staff members
- Schedule and install software upgrades for users
- Learn troubleshooting techniques while responding to IT support tickets
- Configure PCs following MSF-USA standards
- Extremely well-organized with keen attention to detail, able to prioritize work appropriately
- A strong communicator with excellent people skills who is comfortable not only with written and verbal communication but also using visual means like diagrams and images to express ideas and concepts
- Analytical and common-sense approach to completing tasks and resolving issues
- Able to maintain awareness of multiple activities in flight while never losing focus on completing the task at hand with care and accuracy
- Ability to work independently, with guidance from department members
- Flexible enough to handle any and all tasks that might help the team achieve its agreed-upon goals
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Proficient user of Excel and Word
- Knowledge of an IT ticketing system such as Zendesk
- Familiar with Agile Methodologies
- Familiar with JIRA or Trello
- Familiar with Power BI
- Familiar with a project management tool such as SmartSheet
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
No phone calls or emails please.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff