Organizational Context and Scope:
The Media and Communications Division (MCD) of IOM is comprised of experienced communications professionals based in Geneva and Manila as well as various regional offices. The team provides advice and support on media and public information issues to IOM Headquarters and missions worldwide. It is responsible for media relations as well as producing a variety of other public information materials, including official statements to mark special events, information folders, fact sheets and press briefing notes on specific IOM activities for both online and offline communications outlets.
Under the direct supervision of the Public Information Officer for Operations and Emergencies, and in close coordination with the Director of Operations and Emergencies Office, the Internal Displacement Communications Consultant will assist in the implementation of IOM’s Internal Displacement Communications Strategy. The consultant will take on the editing and dissemination of all related written, video and social media content.
The strategy aims to amplify IOM’s visibility on the narrative on internal displacement – both as key operational humanitarian partner in internal displacement contexts as well as a visionary of long-term solutions. It aims to support the Organization’s efforts in line with the High-Level Panel on Internal Displacement.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The Consultant will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Draft, edit and produce a diverse array of multimedia and written communications content, including social media posts, photo and written feature stories, videos and scripts.
Coordinate the production of stories with relevant missions.
Draft statements and key messages on topics of internal displacement as necessary.
Organize audience lists of stakeholders interested in and engaged on issues of internal displacement.
Assemble bi-monthly bespoke newsletter.
Manage the upkeep of a Trello board, photo gallery and collection of design assets/resources that country missions can use to ensure consistency of branding.
Collate up-to-date information from DOE divisions and missions to support the dissemination of information provided by MCD to the media.
Support and coordinate the production of content for interagency groups and campaigns, including for relevant UN International Days.
Produce a final report which tracks content and analytics of published stories.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism or a related field or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in Communications, Journalism or a related field with from an accredited academic institution with four years of professional experience.
- Strong background in media and communications with an emphasis on writing for public audiences;
- Previous experience in communications on humanitarian issues;
- Proficiency in creating social media content for platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, among others;
- Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
- Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently;
- GVideo, photo, and/or audio editing, advantageous.
- Strong editorial and organizational skills;
- Strong written and video editing skills;
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge in French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to send their CV to email@example.com no later than 23 April 2021 by indicating "Internal Displacement Communications Consultant Application" in the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.