The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 192 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises. The IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. The IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services. The IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. The IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat. The Lebanon country office based in Beirut; supports the Lebanese Red Cross and the Palestinian Red Crescent -Lebanon branch. IFRC country office support is provided at strategic and operational levels. The position holder will be located at the IFRC country office in Beirut, Lebanon. While the person will work closely and consider as part of the workforce led by LRC, S/he will report to the Head of country office. The position will have a technical line to the regional PMER manager.
As a member of the Lebanon Country office, the overall purpose of this position is to support the operational planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting for the Lebanon operations. This includes all actions to ensure quality and timely delivery of emergency appeal planning, and reporting (revisions, operation updates, pledge-based reports, among others), as well as monitoring and evaluation.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Operational PMER responsibilities
- Work closely and support the Planning unit in LRC in planning, M&E and reporting related activities.
- Support the revisions of emergency appeal/emergency plan of actions and operational plans, as required.
- Perform the required quality control for the completion of the operational narrative reports in compliance with the IFRC quality standards and timeliness to fulfil established deadlines.
Support the digitization of the organization through the promotion of online tools and resources of the Federation such as the Go platform, FEDNET, online Technical websites and forums etc.
Assist and support and promote the technical working groups and steering committees to the enhance the strategic goals of the National society
- Ensure Documents’ coherence (plans and reports) with the financial documents (budgets and reports).
- Contribute the development of proposals for contributions and monitoring of donor pledges to the Lebanon operations.
- Maintain of and act-upon a tracker of operational reports due and overdue in liaison with finance and PMER teams in the regional office.
- Ensure close coordination with IFRC PMER team and other technical leads and relevant focal points from the movement partners.
- Maintain knowledge, understanding and use of the IFRC planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems and procedures.
- Support the country office with other PMER related duties in other emergencies, as needed, to ensure business continuity
- Support in developing the M&E System towards effective & efficient performance management as well as sustainable impact evaluation and provide guidance to staff and partners in their use;
- Provide hands-on technical assistance to LRC PMER specifically with regards to data collection, reporting and analysis
- Assess the usefulness, relevance and effectiveness of the tools, guidelines and best practices;
Help ensure timely and quality Federation planning and reporting
As part of the PMER Lebanon Country Office team in Lebanon:
- Provide support to annual planning process, working with the country office.
- Help in determining performance and impact measurements tools
- Ensure reporting deadlines are met and publish operation and emergency documents;
- Provide professional support and quality insurance to improve the timely delivery of Emergency Appeals and DREF operational plans;
Promote quality and reliable evaluation
Support and take part in reviews/ evaluations and lessons learned workshops for emergency operations according to the IFRC's Evaluation Framework.
Duties applicable to all staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, international development or related field, experience over education will be considered - required
- Further training in PMER or related area - required
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in PMER for an international Organisation - required
- Strong interest in humanitarian and development work - required
- Knowledge of IFRC and National Society operating environment - preferred
Knowledge, skills and languages
- Strong background in report-writing and product delivery to tight deadlines. Ability to write, edit and analyse complex reports in English and Arabic, the latter is preferred and not required
- Sound background of social research methodologies, including a highly developed analytical and communication skills and ability to assimilate and process information for wide-ranging audiences – required
- Excellent computer skills. (e.g. Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat). Ability to perform page-layout, incorporating text, photos and other graphic elements for a printed page – required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, Arabic is also highly regarded but not the working language – required
- Sound understanding of basic project finance (e.g. ability to explain variance between budgeted and actual expenditure) – required
- Knowledge and commitment to Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles, and ability to model those Principles in relationships with colleagues and partners and translate them to development practice – required
- Basic understanding of legal framework of humanitarian operations, as well as gender, protection, social or human vulnerability issues – required
- Excellent inter-personal skills and cultural sensitivity – required
- Ability to work well under pressure and a willingness to work on weekends and during holidays if required – required
- Fluent spoken and written English - required
- Good command of French - preferred
- Good command of Arabic - preferred
Competencies and values
- Drive for results
- Orientation to attention to details
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Self-motivated, with good judgment and initiative
- Able to work with others under stress sometimes with limited access to basic facilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to motivate colleagues to meet deadlines
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please apply on the IFRC website: