Chief of Party, USAID/Ethiopia Collaboration, Learning and Adapting Platform, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of providing monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) services, as well as programming in institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries worldwide, including Ghana, Ethiopia, Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
MSI is preparing to bid on the USAID/Ethiopia Collaboration, Learning and Adapting Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Platform contract, expected to be competed in the Spring of 2021. This anticipated project will serve as a follow-on to a current contract that supports the achievement of USAID/Ethiopia's Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) and its development objectives. The contract is expected to support the Mission in planning, designing, conducting, disseminating and learning from rigorous monitoring and evaluation of its development activities; and with the strengthening of monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) systems at USAID/Ethiopia. It will also ensure integration of CLA practices throughout the Mission's portfolio (including with implementing partners and government counterparts), and improve their capacity to support MEL and CLA, including the use of primary and secondary evidence for programming, learning and adapting. This contract is expected to support a 5-year project scheduled to begin in the Fall of 2021.
MSI is seeking a seasoned Chief of Party (COP), ideally with experience leading the provision of CLA and MEL services for USAID-funded international development projects. The ideal candidate will have at least 15 years of relevant experience, preferably in support of projects working across technical sectors. The position will require managing the provision of monitoring, evaluation and learning services across Ethiopia from an MSI office in Addis Ababa.
- Serve as primary point of contact with USAID, and as principal liaison with USAID, counterparts and stakeholders; and with MSI's Home Office in Arlington, VA.
- Provide overall leadership for the implementation of the contract while ensuring compliance with USAID requirements and regulations and MSI policies and procedures.
- Ensure the quality, relevance, technological sophistication and timeliness of MSI's evaluations, analyses and assessments and all required deliverables and reports.
- Manage and supervise the work of project personnel and subcontractors to achieve project objectives and targets and ensure timely implementation of quality services and deliverables.
- Oversee internal oversight of the project including budget, procurement, security and staff recruitment and management.
- Provide oversight of all CLA and MEL assignments conducted under the contract, to include:
- Work with the client to refine scopes of work for CLA and MEL assignments such as evaluations, support for strengthening performance monitoring, development of learning plans and learning agendas, and integration of adaptive management into programming.
- Recruit and orient short-term consultants to conduct MEL assignments.
- Oversee the design of evaluations, including details of data collection protocols for surveys, focus groups and key informant interviews; ensure analysis and reporting comply with USAID and industry best practices.
- Oversee design and implementation of MEL capacity building and training efforts, as requested by client. Should integrate principles of adult learning and best practices in workforce development technical training.
- Ensure CLA and MEL assignments are compliant with USAID policies as delineated in ADS 201.
- Troubleshoot assignments while they are underway and regularly liaise with USAID and MSI Home Office on progress.
- Oversee deepening of USAID/Ethiopia's learning capabilities and introduce improved avenues for programmatic learning and adaptation.
- Oversee strengthening of USAID/Ethiopia's efforts to draw contextual, programmatic and operational learning from its monitoring, evaluation, analytical, assessment and learning efforts.
- Master's degree in a social science, international relations, economics, business, development studies or a related field preferred.
- Minimum 15 years of international development experience. Substantial technical experience in monitoring and evaluation, and learning and adaptive management, related to international development projects preferred, preferably for USAID.
- Prior experience as Chief of Party, Country Director or its equivalent, is preferred.
- Significant experience conducting program evaluations, preferably as a team leader or principal investigator.
- Significant experience in integrating USAID's CLA framework into programming, and familiarity with USAID's Learning Lab tools and resources.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and management skills, resourcefulness and personal integrity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Experience in Ethiopia or the region preferred.
- Quality past performance references
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email MSI.Dept.HRRecruiting@tetratechinc.onmicrosoft.com with Reasonable Accommodations in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.