The incumbent will provide technical support to SSGWEP related to data collection, editing, processing, reporting, and analysis. In this regard the incumbent will assist the SSGWEP, specifically the Data team, The Secretariat, and Technical Advisors/Program Officers. The purpose of this position is to increase internal analytical capacity of the SSGWEP, ensure the integrity of the data and of analyses, and to increase the capacity of the program’s Data Management Team.
The incumbent will work under the general direction of The Director of the SSGWEP, and will be directly supervised by the Carter Center’s Country Representative (CR). All changes to current SSGWEP data analyses must be made in consultation with The Secretariat with approval from The SSGWEP Director. The Data Manager is a supervisory position to the Data Team and should provide direct support and training for the Data Team. As such, the incumbent will provide technical support to the management of the data team.
Human Resource Management & Supervision
- Supervise and monitor the SSGWEP data management systems by providing direct, day-to-day monitoring, management, and oversight of the same.
- Serve as direct supervisor for all SSGWEP data staff to ensure fulfilment of their terms of reference.
- Directly supervise the data team to ensure the following:
- Accurate analysis of the monthly provisional SSGWEP reporting rates and year to date demographics.
- Monthly tracking of the status of all case containment centers (CCCs).
- Accurate recording of GPS points for all villages under active surveillance (VAS), all sub-office, sub-stores, and for all case containment centers operated by the SSGWEP.
- Maps of the location of VAS are generated, and the accuracy of geographic coordinates are verified.
- Monthly analysis of all SSGWEP case-work up forms are conducted to ensure that all documented case information is up to date and accurate, and all necessary parties are informed of nearby cases.
- Data is organized, cleaned, codified and analyzed. organize, clean, and codify data.
- The development of a set of standard maps that each sub-office should have to help pinpoint transmission and manage the program. Develop these maps for each sub-office and update on a quarterly basis.
Data Management and Oversight, SSGWEP
Obtain and compile for the Director-SSGWEP the monthly number of new cases/suspects and contained cases/suspects by payam.
Ensure all SSGWEP field reports are received by the data team.
Along with the Data Team, conduct monthly spot-checks, prior to conducting the monthly analysis, of all paper reports to ensure entered data correctly reflects paper reports.
Generate a comprehensive monthly report for the preceding month, and present it the Director, SSGWEP. The data should include; analysis on the status of all interventions, patient demographic analysis, status of villages under active surveillance, analysis of new cases/suspects by payam, and village grouping by type and location.
Provide sub-offices with SSGWEP monthly analyses and personalized feedback on any data problems evidenced in their reports. Sub-offices must receive the following on a monthly basis:
a) Monthly SSGWEP provisional analysis;
b) Updated SSGWEP baseline;
c) Updated SSGWEP patient/suspect data;
d) Updated reporting timeliness/completeness scorecard.
Provide the CR and the Director-SSGWEP an updated, accurate soft copy of all SSGWEP monthly raw patient/suspect and village-level data and all villages removed from the baseline.
Conduct a monthly case containment center analyses.
Maintain an accurate, up-to-date electronic list of all SSGWEP VAS removed from the active surveillance baseline and reason they were removed.
Maintain and share (on a bi-annual basis) with the Director-SSGWEP an updated list (including all baseline data) of all villages transitioned to passive surveillance since 2008. The list must be included in the SSGWEP annual report.
Evaluate current analysis. Determine if it is appropriate and make recommendations for adjustments.
Determine what additional data analysis is needed to fully understand transmission dynamics.
General Data Support
Plan monthly data team visits to sub-offices to ensure data issues are resolved quickly and field reporting meets programme regulations.
Generate maps for the Director-SSGWEP, CR and sub-offices as requested to analyze location of known endemic villages, village reporting 1+ cases/suspects, villages reporting only imported cases/suspects, location of villages by administrative designation, villages reporting 5+ cases and any other map as requested by the sub-office, CR or Director-SSGWEP.
Assist the Director-SSGWEP as requested.
Track and liaise with relevant sub-offices to resolve all outstanding data discrepancies. For any data issuing requiring changes to already-entered data, approval must be sought by the Epidemiologist prior to any changes being made.
Spend two weeks out of every month visiting sub-offices to review and improve data collection procedures, provide trainings, and participate in outbreak investigations.
Liaise directly with TCC – Atlanta to address all requests for data analyses.
Make regular, actionable recommendations to the CR and Director-SSGWEP for improvements to SSGWEP data management systems, and programmatic data tools.
Ensure all new field supervisors receive a thorough orientation regarding programmatic data procedures and guidelines.
Assist the CR to formulate accurate annual program analyses as requested by the Director-SSGWEP for use in review meetings.
Work cooperatively and harmoniously with government officials and TCC colleagues to strengthen TCC-supported programs in every way possible.
Ensure a safe, respectful, efficient, and effective data team work environment while building a sense of team by giving all staff the opportunity to grow professionally.
Work daily in support of the South Sudan Guinea Worm Eradication Program and the Trachoma Control Program of the Ministry of Health, Republic of South Sudan
Other duties as required and/or assigned by the CR.
- Two years of progressive experience in data management and analysis
- University degree level education, or proven work experience
- Fluency in English
- Able to work calmly under pressure, meet deadlines, maintain confidentiality of information, and foster teamwork
How to apply
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line ought to include: Application South Sudan Data Manager Position. All documents ought to be in Microsoft word (.doc, .docx) or PDF format. Materials in other formats or applications without required materials will not be considered. In the body of the e-mail, please indicate where you saw the job posting.
Only finalists will be contacted.