In a brief paragraph, state the position's overall purpose or objective, highlighting the general functions for which the position is responsible. Why does the position exist and what must it accomplish? IMPORTANT: This section, along with the “Qualifications” section and “Working Conditions” section, will appear in the CARE Job Newsletter, so please describe fully.
The purpose of the Project Manager/civic engagement (PM) position is to provide overall leadership and coordination for ensuring the implementation and accomplishment of the objectives of the project under his/her responsibility in line with CARE Jordan vision, goals, and program principles, standards, approaches and Strategic Plan. In consultation with the supervisor, she/he develops annual implementation plans and budget, allocates appropriate resources to accomplish the plan, secures qualified staff and ensures that an appropriate monitoring system is in place to track progress and deviations of project implementation. To promote the highest level of staff performance the PM ensures that all supervisors provide coaching and counseling to the project staff. He/she establishes and maintains effective working relationships with key government partners and NGOs working in the same areas.
Describe the major responsibilities, principal tasks, competencies and end results for which the position is accountable (limit responsibilities to five). Include WHY it is done and the impact to the organization. List the responsibilities in the order of importance and state the percentage of time the employee spends on each responsibility during a typical year.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Job Responsibility #1 – Knowledge Management for Program Quality
- Apply development theory and best practices to the activities contributing to project objectives.
- Integrate CARE program quality concepts: Programming Principles, Program Shift, DME, report writing and communications, as well as cross cutting themes of Gender Equity & Diversity, Climate Change/DRR, HIV, Governance, etc.
- Integrate relvant sectoral/technical best practices and technical assistance are integrated into project activities.
- Contribute to CARE’s Emergency Preparedness and Response, including integrating DRR, monitoring risks, and responses.
- Ensures that project under his/her supervision include an appropriate log-frame and baseline design;
- Organizes a monitoring system to collect baseline and periodic data for tracking project performance and decision making;
- Plans and conducts quarterly and annual project review meeting to assess progress, adjust plans, and draw/disseminate lessons learned;
- Write monthly/quarterly/annual comprehensive and high quality project progress reports
- Install an understanding of working in a multi-country programme setting by providing linkages to the Programme Technical Team and other Country Teams.
Job Responsibility #2 – Personnel Management
- Supervises, leads, guides, orients, trains, coaches and supports project staff.
- Provide team leadership and motivational support to the Country Project Team through daily supervision, regular team meetings, and learning and reflection events
- Leads hiring and orientation of new project staff in coordination with HR, including finalizing JDs, recruiting, participating in interviews, reference checks.
- Recommends or initiates personnel actions such as merit increases and other salary adjustments, promotions, transfers, terminations, and disciplinary actions including performance improvement plans;
- Ensure that all project staff have appropriate individual operational plans linked to project priorities;
- Completes all performance management activities including: talent management, performance planning, monitoring, ongoing feedback and annual performance appraisals;
- Identify and pursue opportunities for the human resource development of project staff and implementing partners and promote cross visits to improve familiarization with new technical strategies and attendance at management-related training workshops.
- Builds the technical and managerial capacity of the field staff in planning and implementing projects effectively and efficiently;
Job Responsibility #3 - Financial & Administrative Management
- Ensures compliance with applicable donor rules & regulations, including familiarizing all relevant project staff to these
- Coordinates contract start up and close out processes and procedures with other relevant units, HR, Finance, Procurement, Audit, etc.
- Recommends or initiates contract changes including realignment of activities, budgets, contract extensions, etc.
- Coordinates any sub-grant activities and agreements and ensures compliance with applicable policies and procedures.
- Manages budgets including monthly reviews of expense reports.
- Prepares procurement plans and monitors procurement processes.
- Ensures security and appropriate use of project and CARE assets.
- Implement audit recommendations applicable to the project.
Job Responsibility #4 – Activities Management: Planning & Implementation
- With the project team analyzes past experiences to systematize and incorporate lessons learned into the planning process;
- Based on past accomplishments and achievements adjusts project targets, strategies, resources and delegation of responsibilities to ensure appropriate progress toward project objectives;
Shares draft plans with project management team, staff and partners involved in the implementation and incorporate their input into the plan;
Submits annual plans as per established schedules to all project stakeholders.
Organizes the implementation process of all set targets planned for each project with respective supervisors, experts and other concerned staff working within program departments;
Ensures that all staff have updated monthly and quarterly implementation plans;
Maintains ongoing communication with project stakeholder regarding project progress and challenges;
Continuously assesses project’s context, assumptions and changes in the working environment to ensure that the project focus, strategies and activities remain relevant and to proposed adjustments when needed.
Job Responsibility #5 - Manages External Relations & Collaboration
- Establish and positive working relationships with governmental, NGO, local and international organizations, academic institutions and private sector actors with activities relevant to the project to identify areas of potential collaboration.
- Implement communication plan for each of your key stakeholders to encourage continuous collaboration and updates
- Ensure communication of key milestones to necessary stakeholders within the community.
- Collate/compile field-generated information and complete periodic progress reports in a timely manner in compliance with donor requirements for onward incorporation in the program report.
- Engage in communication with other CARE project managers to ensure consistent information sharing and collaboration across CARE projects.
Job Responsibility #6 - Perform other duties as assigned
5% of time
Responsibility #7: Emergency Response / Staff Security
- Take a lead role in facilitating timely, quality administrative support function delivery in the time of emergency response
- Guides and supports management on staff security concerns
- Ensure security operational guidelines well established for the CO and field offices following CARE USA Security Guidelines, and all staff are aware (in coordination with the CD)
1- QUALIFICATIONS – (*must be specific, realistic and related to job responsibilities)**
Specialized Know How
A- Education and training
Bachelor degree in development, agriculture, forestry, education, social science, economics, public health, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- MA/MPH/MSc. in sustainable development, social work, social justice or related fields
Number of months/ years of previous professional experience in a similar position
At least five years of experience in development and/or humanitarian organizations, including significant experience of working with civil society organizations to deliver civic engagement and community organizing programs
A proven record of effective project management, including project planning and managing a budget
Proven skills in partnership building, influencing and negotiation with a range of humanitarian and development actors, including governments, UN agencies, academic institutions, networks, national/local NGOs and community groups
Substantive experience with one or more of the participating IWG agencies such as CARE, CRS, Mercy Corps, Oxfam, Save the Children, World Vision and civil society organizations
Knowledge of and experience with health services and delivery systems in Jordan
Previous successful experience in the management of multi-agency, multi-stakeholder collaborative projects
Experience in the effective dissemination of research findings and the design, organization and management of large-scale learning events.
A. Technical skills
Examples: languages; planning; budgeting; word-processing, basic accounting; advanced written communications; presentations; fundraising; training/facilitation, etc.:
Strong facilitation skills, including the design and management of effective trainings, workshops and meetings with diverse participants.
Strong skills in written communication, including effective report writing
Strong skills in inter-personal communications, able to work effectively with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-actor environment.
Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively across a wide variety of cultural contexts.
Strong team player, able to develop and maintain effective working relationships within a distributed and dynamic team.
Flexible, creative and solution-oriented approach in an innovative environment
Competence with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
B- Managerial Know How
Involves integrating and harmonizing requirements of diverse functions in operating, support, and administrative situations. It may be exercised through consultation as well as direct action; Management requires a combination of planning, organizing, controlling, and reviewing along with direct and indirect execution. Choose one of the following: Task; Minimal; Related; Diverse; Broad.
· This position requires Diverse managerial know-how.
C- Human relations skills
Consists of active practicing skills in the area of human relationships. In the work context Human Relations Skills include all capabilities that are needed to interact on a direct person-to-person basis, and through varied approaches build understanding of, acceptance of, or commitment to, courses of action that are important for the organization. These skills may be applied in relation to peers, subordinates or peers within the organization, or to people outside the organization. (See Guidelines for definitions).**
· The Human Relations Skills for this position are designated as Critical.
Given the responsibilities and level of accountability of the position, please list the performance competencies in order of importance. These will be used both for recruitment and performance management.
- Building partnership
- Communicating with Impact
- Contributing to Team Success
- Planning and Organizing
- Political Acumen
CARE Management Standards
*All CARE managers must adhere to the CARE Management Standards identified as non-negotiable actions (or behaviors). All managers are responsible for carrying out these standards in his or her supervisory role**
- Set Direction
· Establish direction and define actions for individuals and teams that are aligned with CARE strategy through the Annual Performance Management system, unit plans and other planning tools
· As organizational needs change, adjust plans and resources to reset direction
· Clarify that direct reports and teams clearly and consistently understand their roles, priorities and expectations of their assignments
Staff Wellness and Safety
Promote workplace and environment safety for all direct reports
Provide support to direct reports that fosters good mental, social and physical well being
Coach and Develop
Improve performance of direct reports and teams through observation, feedback, training and the timely use of the Annual Performance Management process
Provide direct reports with the materials, tools, time and resources to do their jobs
Engage direct reports in career development discussions
Encourage innovative thinking
Practice and Promote Compliance
Promote high ethical standards and conduct in accordance with CARE’s Code of Conduct
Comply with CARE policies and procedures, including those of the departments of finance, travel, procurement, information technology, program and donor requirements
Provide timely reporting of division, unit, and/or team results as required for organizational performance tracking
Model Gender Equity and Diversity
Display sensitivity to and for the perspectives and interest of those from different cultural backgrounds, belief systems and world-views
Advocate for fairness and equal opportunity in decision-making and in implementing policies and practices
Ensure that plans and actions reflect the results of efforts from diverse representation and broad participation in all activities
Share general business information on a regular and timely basis
Inform direct reports of changes in the organization and how they may affect their work
Find opportunities for direct reports to celebrate results and exchange knowledge and solutions to problems
Foster two-way communication and seek feedback from direct reports on your own communication effectiveness **
4- PROBLEM SOLVING
Is comprised of the Thinking Challenge and Thinking Environment
Thinking Environment considers the rules, instructions, practices, precedents, standards, principles, policies, goals, and objectives that create the context in which a job is authorized to deal with unusual situations. It describes the degree of freedom permitted to the job to initiate the thinking process as a result of external conditions, as well as internal conditions of the organization. Choose one of the following: Strict Routine; Routine; Semi-Routine; Standardized; Clearly Defined; Broadly Defined; Generally Defined; Abstractly Defined. (See Guidelines for definitions).
· This position is defined as Broadly Defined
Thinking Challenge describes the situational and nature and degree of difficulty of mental effort required to come to conclusions, make decisions, provide answers, or discover new things. Choose one of the following: Repetitive; Patterned; Interpolative; Adaptive; or Uncharted. (See Guidelines for definitions)
· This position is defined as Adaptive
Is the answerability for actions and for their consequences? It is the measured effect of the job or position on end results. It has three dimensions in the following order of importance: Freedom to Act; Impact on End Results; and Magnitude.
A) Freedom to Act is the degree to which personal or procedural control and guidance for work (or lack thereof) exists. This is a function of the organizational framework, the personnel and policy direction, and the flows, processes, and systems that are established in the organization. Choose one of the following: Limited; Prescribed; Controlled; Standardized; Regulated; Clearly Directed; Generally Directed; Guided; or Strategically Guided. (See Guidelines for definitions).
- This position would be designated as Clearly Directed
B) Impact on End Results considers the principal nature of the job’s influence on end results, which ranges from very direct control to very indirect support. Choose the Impact category that reflects the basic purpose of the job most clearly. Ancillary; Contributory; Shared; Primary (See Guidelines for definitions).
· This position would be Contributory
C) Magnitude: Financial: What parts of CARE’s revenue and/or expenses are impacted by the job’s primary goals? Use current fiscal year amounts. e.g. project budget, fundraising or contract goal, budget managed or monitored, donations processed, purchases made, contracts negotiated/signed, benefits costs.
· What is the $/EUR amount related to job’s primary goals?
· What is the $/EUR amount of signing authority for this position?
List the primary external and internal relationships, which the employee is expected to maintain. State the purpose of these interactions.
WORKING CONDITIONS: **
- Travel: This position will be based in Amman with frequent travel to Donors and CAREs offices.
- Safety and Security: CARE’s Safety and Security Officer is available for advice and guidance. **
How to apply
Any candidate interested in applying for this vacant need to register on COMPASS system as a candidate & apply for this vacancy through this link:
Vacant position is announced internally & Externally. Applications can be submitted until March 8,2021 after that interviews will start for applicants.
CARE International in Jordan places human dignity at the center of its relief and development work. At the heart of CARE’s efforts to impact poverty and social justice is its engagement with marginalized communities, and vulnerable adults and children.
CARE International in Jordan is an Equal Opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or disability.
CARE is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us.
Wish you all the best.