World Relief South Sudan (WRSS) has been working in South Sudan since 1998, and current programs include Health, Nutrition, WASH, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Savings for Life, which aim to provide relief and recovery to conflict-affected populations. The purpose of the Deputy Country Director (DCD) position is to fulfill the Mission Statement of World Relief in South Sudan, and managing all aspects of the implementation and development of the Country Office program. The DCD is expected to provide strategic leadership to the Programs Department in the areas of program quality, development and implementation. This includes playing a key role in country strategy development and dissemination. A major emphasis in this position is resource mobilization, external representation, program coordination and technical leadership in order to ensure that the Country Office has a robust and diverse donor funding base, and that programs are implemented fulfilling standards of quality and accountability along with delivering the desired impact in making a significant contribution to reducing poverty and saving lives. Based in Juba, South Sudan with frequent travel to the field locations – expected travel to the field up to 40%.
*This is an unaccompanied position
- Deputy for the Country Director in her/his absence.
- Actively participate and contribute to the fulfillment of the WRSS Country Office strategy.
- Oversee the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of country office programs and projects, and ensure that they are in line with the Country Office program strategy and donor requirements.
- Ensure that proper monitoring and evaluation systems are in place to demonstrate impact and that Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) techniques are used to promote improved programming and learning
- Conduct regular analysis of the Country Office contingency planning and capacity to scale up quickly and respond to significant emergency needs, and propose actions to address capacity gaps.
- Facilitate the development and regular updating of an appropriate emergency preparedness and response plans, and ensure that disaster risk management is integrated in WRSS programs.
- Work with the Country Director to oversee the development and implementation of a Country Office advocacy agenda that supports Country Office programs.
- Contribute and support the development of proposals and reports for the respective projects.
- Support field managers in all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and country program strategy.
- Mentor and encourage Program Managers in their leadership and management of program staff directly under them.
- Assist Program Managers in monitoring program finances against program budgets, and act as a liaison between Program Managers and the other Departments.
- Travel to the field as needed to supervise and review project/program progress and/or results, as well as security issues affecting programmatic implementation and staff safety
- Provide proper supervision and management for all direct reports and lead the establishment and functioning of a strong, effective and coordinated Program team.
- Ensure the proper implementation of performance management system for direct reports, including job description and performance development, regular feedback, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Proactively address performance issues through regular, constructive and honest feedback and coaching.
- Travel to the field as need for the purpose of staff management
Operations Management and Program Strategy
- Liaise with international donors and actively represent WRSS at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, as appropriate and with the relevant field managers and programs, so as to enhance the smooth running of the program through standardized procedures and improved support.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the program, including resource needs analyses, following workplans and log frames outlined in the project proposals.
- Work with World Relief’s Home Office and/or regional technical support to ensure that planned programs are implemented in an efficient and timely manner according to the project/program proposal and the donors’ policies/agreements.
- Work closely with units in Program Support (finance, procurement, HR, etc.) to ensure proper coordination exists for efficient program implementation.
- Ensure that qualified staff and appropriate policies, procedures and systems are in place to properly manage WRSS programs/projects.
- Coordinate and assist in preparing and distributing all requisite reports for all programs. Ensure timely reporting of program activities to donors and Home Office Strategic Engagement staff.
- Edit, as needed, written materials originating from WRSS to ensure quality of outgoing documents.
- Develop and implement an information management system to include the dissemination of information from World Relief Home Office and affiliates, donors, Government of South Sudan offices, etc. to all the appropriate individuals.
- Regularly review and ensure that the most efficient Country Office program management structure is established and functional in order to ensure program quality and the cost-efficient achievement of project objectives.
- Assist and oversee the recruitment and orientation of new senior program staff.
- Seek strategic partnerships necessary to promote WRSS’ strategic vision and programming principles, and ensure that those partners understand the Country Office’s program strategies.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the Christian spiritual values of WRSS with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of the WRSS team, including team devotions, prayer times, words of encouragement, and integrity in all programmatic aspects of response and interaction with external contacts.
- Work to strengthen the local church’s capacity for supporting programmatic initiatives.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned by the South Sudan Country Director as needed.
- This is an unaccompanied position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong knowledge of program areas and ability to communicate practices to various constituencies in the U.S. and Africa
- At ease with Microsoft Office programs (in particular with Word & Excel), Internet, and e-mail writing
- Excellent verbal and written English communication required
- Ability to understand and/or communicate in Arabic a plus
- Ability to work independently and to deal with problems and issues both promptly and efficiently
- Ability to diplomatically liaise in a team setting, to listen and take into account team suggestions, and to create a sense of team connectivity
- Experience in training and mentoring staff
- Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Good negotiation skills, especially in the context of another culture
- Ability to manage budgets, understand financial accountability procedures, logistics, and commodity tracking
- Strong time management, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills
- Bachelor’s degree on program management, development studies or relevant subjects, Master’s degree preferred
- 5-9 years of experience in Relief and Development work in the developing world, preferably in Africa
- At least 5 years of experience in senior management and leadership positions in Humanitarian programs
- Experience working with donors such as USAID, EU,GAC, UN Agencies, etc.
- Experience serving in a hardship post in a complex emergency setting
- Strong Christian commitment and ability to provide Christian leadership
How to apply
In order to be considered, please apply to our World Relief career's page Careers - World Relief
To apply go to: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/WOR1016/JobBoard/cb5f4eb0-f96e-4b34-9dd6-...