Social and Behavior Change Senior Technical Advisor
Based in Washington DC or other location in the US
Up to 25% international travel
Reports to Head, Market Dynamics and Analytics
Who we are
With over 50 years of experience, working in over 40+ countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer powered healthcare.
There are over 5,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
The Strategy & Insights team champions insight-driven prioritization across PSI, ensuring we are “doing the right things” even as we work on “doing things right.” The team promotes best practice in program design, the marketing discipline, research, learning, and strategy development. The team works with other departments to systematically capture, synthesize, and share internal and external evidence, consumer and market insights, competitive market intelligence and program experience to guide global, market level, and program level strategy.
We are looking for a Social and Behavior Change (SBC) Senior Technical Advisor to develop guidance that integrates new methods and approaches into PSI's strategic programming and provides leadership in the design, integration, institutionalization, and quality assurance of SBC and human centered design (HCD).
Sound like you? Read on.
Engage with the external global community of practice to identify and adopt state-of-the-art approaches to collecting, analyzing, and using consumer insights and innovatively applying SBC and HCD approaches to distinguish PSI's programming
- Identify best and emerging practices in SBC, for example human centered design, integration of SBC and digital/social media, social media listening, behavioral economics, building social movements, systems and design thinking, and measuring impact of SBC interventions.
- Represent PSI as an SBC technical lead in external fora and communities of practice.
- Capture and present insights internally and externally that address how PSI is delivering consumer powered healthcare by shaping mixed health systems.
- Develop guidance on state-of-the-art methods to incorporate new knowledge into PSI program design and implementation.
Provide leadership in building PSI's capacity to harvest and synthesize consumer insights, and design and implement effective SBC and HCD solutions
- Develop guidance to adopt, pilot, and scale best and emerging practices in SBC for PSI's network.
- Identify, develop, document, and disseminate innovative and high-impact examples and case studies of SBC from across the PSI network.
- Develop and curate a repository of training tools to build SBC capacity across the PSI network, including sharpening SBC and HCD approaches to respond to evolving market conditions.
- Provide guidance and oversight to the PSI network to ensure PSI's strategy, approach, and projects appropriately apply and adhere to SBC best practices.
- Update PSI program design frameworks with most relevant and up-to-date SBC and HCD practice, to ensure PSI achieves maximum impact, including facilitating peer-to-peer learning.
Identify and support strategic opportunities to assist global projects and network members to execute effective and high-quality SBC and HCD interventions
- Provide strategically aligned technical assistance that is responsive to project and network member needs.
- Capacitate PSI network members and staff to design, implement, and monitor state-of-the-art SBC and HCD activities.
- Assist with evolving the technical support function, in response to organizational need, to increase technical capacity as part of a move to a more disbursed support model.
Engage with fundraising teams to support the development of winning SBC concepts.
- Integrate SBC and HCD into proposals and technical approaches in support of scaling consumer powered healthcare.
- Ensure that the PSI network—global, regional, and country-level teams—use appropriate language to describe SBC and HCD approaches and establish relationships with new and emerging SBC and HCD organizational partners and stakeholders at the global, regional, and country level.Qualifications
What would get us excited?
- At least ten years of relevant experience demonstrating technical excellence, thought leadership, and innovation in SBC, preferably including end-to-end experience applying behavioral theory, insight gathering, design, and oversight of implementation.
- Post-graduate studies in social or behavioral science, design or systems thinking, communication, social marketing, public health with a focus on health communication, or another related field.
- Familiarity with emerging SBC approaches, including behavioral science, behavioral economics, nudges, and HCD.
- Experience at the nexus of behavior change for commercial and public good, specifically behavior change for positive public health outcomes, including experience at for-profit and not-for-profit marketing; social marketing; HCD; and consumer insight, research, and monitoring agencies.
- Ability to strategically and appropriately apply state-of-the-art SBC thinking to serve, adapt, and sharpen PSI's vision for scaling consumer powered healthcare.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively across a diverse organization to provide technical thought leadership.
- Established relationships with SBC thought leaders to facilitate access to emerging approaches to SBC and to identify appropriate positioning for PSI's SBC portfolio.
- Exceptional communication skills, including English-language written and verbal communication skills; French preferred.
- A passion for driving strategic innovation and change in the interest of improved global health outcomes.
- Comfort leading in a dynamic environment and prioritizing competing priorities.
- Ability to effectively influence key stakeholders within and outside of PSI.
- References will be required.
- If domestic: Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI's corporate values
- Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
- Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
- Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don't let perfect get in the way of good enough.
- Honesty: You aren't afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
- Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
- Commitment: You're independent and a free thinker, but you're ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
*Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.