Position Name: Project Manager
Employment Regime: Seconded/contracted
Post Category for Contracted: Mission Support – Management Level
Ref. number: SOM-067
Department/Division/Section: Chief of Staff / Project Section
Security Clearance Level: EU Restricted
Open to Contributing Third States: No
1. Reporting Line: The Project Manager reports to the Head of Project Section.
2. Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
• To provide advice and support during the initiation phase, or the approval of any design changes, for projects with infrastructure/technical components, for ensuring accurate estimates and embedment of sustainability into the overall planning;
• To provide support with the review of designs and technical specifications of all rehabilitation components and structures to ensure they are in accordance with established and applicable international standards;
• To provide support with the review of calculation of quantities, estimation and preparation of Bill of Quantities for all rehabilitation components and structures to ensure they are in accordance with established and applicable international standards and to ensure that economical and quality materials are purchased;
• To be responsible for day-to-day oversight of work activities, advising and providing technical support and quality assurance on the implementation;
• To provide assistance in the oversight of QA/QC site visits and materials testing reports to ensure sampling, testing and inspection of materials are carried out regularly and works are implemented in compliance with the approved design technical specifications;
• To provide support in the draft preparation or review, as necessary, ToRs for technical consultancies and subcontracts, and assist in the selection and recruitment processes;
• To undertake technical review and provide quality assurance of project outputs (e.g. technical reports, studies and assessments);
• To provide training and knowledge transfer including advice on good construction practices, environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction;
• To ensure oversight and management of contractors carrying out the rehabilitation works;
• To participate in approval and inspection activities;
• To check contractor's claims and submittal against its accuracy and reality, and make recommendations;
• To report all errors, omissions, discrepancies and deficiencies to the line management and record them on in an accurate manner;
• To ensure that Project Sections paper and electronic archive, as well as dedicated databases, are properly managed and updated.
3. General Tasks and Responsibilities:
• To assist in project planning and development and co-ordinate the implementation of the Mission’s
• To assess project proposals and make recommendations on the feasibility and sustainability of projects;
• To advise project leaders (within the Mission's operational components) in preparing project
documents, such as project proposals, project budgets, notes of understanding, project agreements, etc.;
• To ensure that project proposals are in line with the Mission’s programmes and are properly coordinated within the Mission and with external stakeholders;
• To act as the interface between project leaders and various elements of Mission Support;
• To maintain a record of the Mission's project history and ongoing activities;
• To conduct, upon project completion, post-project reporting and evaluation;
• To develop best practices on project management, make training recommendations and record lessons identified/learnt;
• To receive, review, analyse, assign, process and track certified requisitions submitted for procurement action;
• To undertake any other related tasks as required by the Line Manager.
4. Essential Qualification and Experience:
• Successful completion of university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma OR a qualification in the National Qualifications Framework which is equivalent to level 6 in the European Qualifications Framework OR a qualification of the first cycle under the framework of qualifications of the European Higher Education Area, e.g. Bachelor's Degree; The qualification should be in Building Construction, Construction Management, Civil Engineering or related relevant discipline
• A minimum of 4 years of demonstrable relevant professional experience, in the field of construction projects, after having fulfilled the education requirements.
5. Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Project management skills;
• Experience in managing or supervising construction activities on a range of projects requiring the coordination of multiple contractors and multiple trades simultaneously;
• Ability to provide technical and procedural advice in a broad range of engineering areas;
• Ability to direct and mentor technical trade personnel.
6. Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
• Project management training/certification, such as APM, PPM, PRINCE2 or equivalent;
• Previous relevant professional experience in Africa.
7. Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge on designing, implementation, monitoring construction projects;
• Knowledge of AutoCAD and MS Project or equivalent CAD and project management software;
• Knowledge on stakeholder engagement/management in post conflict or developing countries;
• Familiarity with relevant EU Rules and Regulations;
• Knowledge of project management methodologies, such as PM² or equivalent, for EU funded projects;
• Ability to multi-task with a time management efficiency;
• Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines and to manage multiple tasks and unexpected demands.
How to apply
This position is open for candidates with citizenship of an European Union Member State.
Information on Working Conditions (Remuneration and Per Diem) is available at: https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters-homepage/5401/working-c...
Applications must be submitted via:
For contracted candidates from European Union Member States: https://goalkeeper.eeas.europa.eu/registrar/DPA/357/details.do