Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the Office of the Executive Secretary. Under the Supervision of the Secretary of the Commission, the incumbent will contribute towards strengthening and successfully managing of the intergovernmental functions of the Secretariat.
Within delegated authority, the Deputy Secretary of the Commission is responsible for the following duties:
• Substantively prepares for, organizes and services regular and ad-hoc meetings of the Advisory Committee of Permanent Representatives to ESCAP (ACPR).
• Substantively prepares for and services intergovernmental working groups, such as those on resolutions or other bodies of the Commission and its subsidiary bodies; facilitates the effective review, endorsement and adoption of decisions and resolutions by the Commission, as well as monitors their implementation by the secretariat.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources on matters related to intergovernmental processes of the Commission and its subsidiary bodies.
• Coordinates preparations for legislative committees including frameworks for the quality evaluation.
• Identifies, reviews, analyzes and prepares conclusions on issues related to intergovernmental matters, including the formulation of resolutions and on other matters of relevance to the Commission.
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies on intergovernmental matters of relevance to the Commission.
• Provides procedural backstopping to consultative and other inter-governmental meetings, ministerial conferences, etc.
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities for representatives of member States; conducts training workshops, seminars and makes presentations on intergovernmental matters of relevance to the
• Leads and/or participates in missions to organize intergovernmental meetings such as the sessions of the Commission and legislative committees and ministerial conferences, held outside Bangkok, including provision of guidance to government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Supports the Secretary of the Commission on activities related to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation to ensure linkages between the Commission conference structure and the secretariat work programme.
• Supports the Secretary of the Commission in the day-to-day external relations of the Commission with Member States and other stakeholders.
• Performs other duties as required.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in law, international relations, economics, social sciences, management, or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in international relations, programme management, administration or related area.
Experience in the provision of substantive support to intergovernmental processes and legislative machinery in an international organization is highly desirable.
Experience in dealing with procedures, policies and practices of intergovernmental bodies of an international organization such as the United Nations is highly desirable.
Experience in preparation/coordination of parliamentary documentation is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to apply
Deadline: 25 February 2021
To apply, please visit: https://www.unescap.org/jobs