The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is an inter-governmental organization initiated and led by the Nile riparian countries to promote joint development, protection and management of the common Nile Basin water resources. NBI has a Shared Vision, namely: ‘to promote sustainable socioeconomic development through the equitable utilization of', and benefit from, the common Nile Basin water resources’. The NBI provides a unique forum for the countries of the Nile Basin to move toward a cooperative process to realize tangible benefits in the basin and build a solid foundation of trust and confidence. NBI has three Centres: Nile-SEC based in Entebbe, Uganda, NELSAP-CU based in Kigali, Rwanda and ENTRO based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Nile-SEC intends to hire a qualified professional for the position of Earth Observation expert/Remote sensing The job description for this position is as follows:
The Earth Observation expert/Remote sensing (provides the necessary technical expertise to support implementation of the Nile Cooperation for Climate Resilience project with specific focus on expanding use of Earth Observation for adaptive water resources management. Specifically, the Expert shall support the Nile-SEC in the collection, compilation, evaluation, interpretation, generation, maintenance and distribution of spatial information (including remotely sensed data and GIS information layers) for water resources management applications, including environmental and socio-economic analysis of the Nile Basin.
Academic/Professional Qualification and Experience
· At least Master’s Degree in Remote Sensing, GIS or IT with Remote Sensing and GIS specialty, or related fields with strong background in remote sensing.
· Professional qualification/ Certification in in Earth or GIS and Remote sensing is an added Advantage
Minimum Experience Required
· At least 7 years of work experience after Master degree, Five (5) years must have been the use of remote sensing and GIS in planning development, monitoring, and management of natural resources systems. Particularly, in the retrieval, storage, archiving, processing and interpretation of RS data.
· Skill in providing technical support and training in the use of Remote Sensing and GIS.
· Skill in reading, understanding, developing, manipulating, and analysing geographic information in a variety of data formats, including raster and vector data.
· Proficiency in the use of ERDAS Imagine, ENVI, IDRISI, ArcView, ArcGIS or other similar software.
· Extensive experience in the use, calibration and validation of RS models that convert primary RS data to secondary RS information products is an advantage.
· Strong practical experience in computer applications such as in using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is essential, specifically ESRI products such as ArcView and / or Arc Info; knowledge and experience in web mapping and web mapping tools
· Strong communication and presentation skills including ability to develop proposals, concept papers, position papers as well as write reports and prepare relevant publications
· High level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including ability to build alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity
The Employee will be based at NBI Secretariat in Entebbe Uganda with possible travel within or out of the Basin Countries as may be deemed necessary by the Employer.
Period of Service
This is a Regional Position with employment duration of Six years renewable annually based on satisfactory performance, availability of funds and need for the services.
How to apply
Interested and Suitably qualified individuals are invited to visit the NBI website at www.nilebasin.org to download the full job description/TORs for the preferred position and should submit their applications electronically to the Executive Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Application/cover letters clearly indicating the title of the position and accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae should reach the Executive Director not later than 30th January, 2021 at 2:00pm. Please attach scanned copies of your Academic & professional certificates and testimonials. Your CV should clearly indicate full contacts of Three (3) referees and two (2) former employers excluding the current employer. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.