Urgent Action Fund-Africa (UAF-Africa) is a feminist, pan-African, Rapid Response Fund committed to transforming power relations through resourcing African feminists and womn human rights defenders and their formations as an act of solidarity. Recognising the need to move resources rapidly on a continent where opportunities and threats arise and decline quickly, UAF-Africa uses a Rapid Response Grant making mechanism to support unanticipated, time sensitive, innovative and unique initiatives that promote womn’s agency in peace and political participation, social and economic power building as well as natural resources governance and stewardship. The Fund works to support African Womn Human Rights Defenders (AWHRDs), particularly in the feminist and womn’s rights movements, in their actions, which enable them to support and sustain themselves, each other and their work before, during and after urgent situations.
UAF-Africa mobilises resources from a broad base of international and increasingly local funders committed to protecting and advancing womn’s rights and feminist agendas in Africa. Our primary purpose is to provide funding to AWHRDs and their groups, organisations and the movements to help them prepare for and navigate urgent situations with appropriate actions. This puts them in the position to support and sustain themselves, each other and their work during and after the urgent circumstances they find themselves.
The African Women’s Human Rights Defenders Platform (Feminist Republik) was established with three buckets of work defining its focus: Holistic protection including safety, security and wellbeing; healing justice; documentation and knowledge generation.
UAF-Africa is registered in Kenya and Zimbabwe. Operating as a virtual organisation, the Fund boasts of strategic physical presence in East Africa: Nairobi, Kenya and Kampala, Uganda; North Africa: Cairo, Egypt; Central Africa: Bujumbura, Burundi and Yaounde, Cameroon; Southern Africa: Harare, Zimbabwe and Antananarivo, Madagascar and West Africa: Abuja, Nigeria, Cotonou, Benin and Dakar, Senegal.
The Feminist Republik Culture Curator- Francophone will support the Feminist Republik Initiative to contribute towards the establishment and growth of the buckets of work within the Feminist Republik Platform, including advancing holistic protection: safety, security, and wellbeing; healing justice; documentation and knowledge generation. This position will be based in the successful candidates’ Francophone West African or Central African country of residence. The candidate reports directly to the Feminist Republik Creative Facilitator.
The role will work to assist and support the Initiative’s Creative Facilitator;
• Ensure that feminist values and guiding principles of the Fund are adhered to through
the work of the Feminist Republik and related activities.
• Innovative, technically and politically sound, creative strategies, tactics, activities, knowledge generation and dissemination channels to further the vision of the Feminist Republik across Africa and beyond;
• Knowledge generation - Leading the front of campaigns on knowledge generation and sharing;
• Engage in strategic co-creation with feminists and AWHRDs, womn’s rights and feminist organisations, collectives and movements across Africa and beyond, creating online and offline collaborations;
• To provide guidance to staff contributing towards Feminist Republik Initiative’s goals;
• To furnish Partnership & Development portfolio with relevant information that supports Feminist Republik resource mobilization activities;
• Strengthen and implement UAF-Africa’s language justice strategy;
• Establish and maintain relationships with the Feminist Republik’s Platform members, friends and partners in the Francophone Africa region; to enhance effectiveness, diversity and engagement of a growing number of AWHRDs;
• Maintaining open and fluid communications with all the other staff within the Fund located in various other African countries.
· Degree in Social Sciences, Women’s Studies, Political Sciences, International Development, Law or related fields.
· Proficiency in French and English language, both spoken and written, is a key requirement for this position.
Skills and Experience
· 3 years’ experience in a related field is required;
· Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask;
· Excellent inter-personal, public speaking, writing and negotiation skills;
- Strong group facilitation, presentation, and community organizing skills;
· Flexibility and willingness to travel on the African continent and beyond as and when required;
· A good understanding of womn’s rights issues, particularly in politically unstable and post conflict African settings;
· Familiarity with the womn’s rights development needs in Africa;
· Passionate about UAF-Africa’s mission, committed to teamwork, and achieving results;
· Experience working in a virtual work environment is an added advantage;
· Experience working in Africa, and Francophone Africa is an added advantage;
· Self-starter and proactive;
· Flexible and willing to perform other tasks as assigned, in a fast-paced, team-oriented work environment.
· UAF-Africa is a part of a global UAF-Sisterhood network and staff are expected from time to time to work collaboratively with UAF-Sister Funds.
This is a regional position that involves some national, regional and international travel. UAF-Africa is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices. In order to build the strongest possible workforce. UAF-Africa actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. The Fund is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The position can be based in Francophone West/Central Africa region.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter, and CV to email@example.com with “Feminist Republik Culture Curator - Francophone Position” in the subject line. No phone calls please.