WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs). Job holders report to the Regional/Division/Country Director or the designate, and are subject to the overall normative and technical direction by the Chief Engineer, WFP Engineering in relation to all matters of engineering services and construction activities.
Job holders have in-depth technical knowledge and experience required to identify, analyse and resolve complex engineering issues, manage and direct projects and work streams, provide technical expertise, advice and solutions that support strategic results, and formulate new strategies and technical approaches where appropriate. At HQ or CO, job holders may lead multi-disciplinary teams, including engineering staff, and manage clusters of project partners and stakeholders to deliver engineering services or more complex projects.
KHARTOUM, SUDAN COUNTRY CONTEXT
WFP Sudan Country Office is seeking to fill the position of Engineer at the P4 Level, based in Khartoum. The position will report to the Senior Administration Officer, work in close coordination with different functional units, and will technically support and coordinate in the development, expansion, and improvement of existing infrastructures. The position will also supervise the work of other professionals and support team, currently composed of 12 staff working in the construction of warehouses, guesthouse compounds, food distribution centers, bridges, and Clinics in Sudan.
To provide management and expertise in engineering services and construction activities services including management of larger-scale projects and vendors, and contributing to the cost-efficient and timely outcome delivery.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide expert advice and support to HQ, RBs or COs on a range of engineering services, project management and construction activities including the implementation of WFP policies, standards, norms and practices to ensure that outputs meet the established quality standards.
- Lead engineering and project management services taking into account country-specific technical requirements, using best practices, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
- Manage and conduct analysis of project proposals to ensure business case and technical feasibility and that project objectives are attainable within the prescribed resources and timelines.
- Lead the preparation of accurate and timely reports on outputs to enable informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Provide expert guidance to ensure a successful construction procurement process.
- Represent WFP at international meetings and conferences, lead discussions with partners, donors and other stakeholders, exchange knowledge and experience, keeping abreast of construction and engineering technologies, to ensure implementation of innovative engineering solutions.
- Lead the capacity building, mentoring and career development of staff teams to ensure the continued development and high performance.
- Build and reinforce strong partnerships with internal and external clients to effectively identify and meet clients’ expectations.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitor the management of risks.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Civil Engineering or related Engineering discipline, or First University degree with additional years or experience and/or advanced training/courses. Accreditation to “Professional Engineer” or “Chartered Engineer” status, or recognised equivalent by an appropriate national or international regulatory authority.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Had managed large-scale, complex engineering and construction projects and programs in an international environment, managing multi-disciplinary or cross-functional teams to ensure a successful project outcome.
• Has demonstrated considerable experience in planning and organizing; managing work programs, objectives, and budgets, and liaison with stakeholders/donors.
• Has developed expert knowledge in engineering specialisations (e.g. seismic, environmental, blast, fire or security and safety engineering).
• Has developed strong experience in construction or arbitration law and engineering contract management.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term as well as a rotational contract with a probationary period of one year.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
31 January, 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to apply
Please click on the below link to apply for the role.