Name of the position: Program Manager Early Childhood Development (PM ECD)
Reporting to: Country Program Director (CPD)**
Type of contract: Local full time open ended contract
Application deadline: 14th January 2020
Help a Child is a Christian international NGO specialized in community development with its headquarters in the Netherlands and it has been operating in Rwanda since 2008. Founded in 1968, Help a Child’s mission is to improve the wellbeing of children living in poverty and crisis through supportive communities.
In cooperation with local NGO partners, Help a Child Rwanda improves the resilience of households by implementing the Child Centered Community Development (CCCD) Program. In this holistic program, various thematic interventions are combined. Early Childhood Development (ECD) is one of Help a Child thematic expertise areas. Our vision for ECD in Rwanda is to ensure that children receive the stimulation and care they need to reach their full potential. This is done by providing parenting education to parents of young children and by supporting communities to construct and manage quality Early Childhood Development Centers. Other strategies are to train pre-primary teachers and to building the capacity of government institutes to implement their policies and aspirations.
The Program Manager ECD has the task to support the CPD by taking the lead to provide quality assurance for the whole country program. This involves ensuring that Implementing Partners fulfil their contractual obligations of reporting and collecting PMEL data at required standards. It also involves providing technical assistance and leadership to other colleagues in the Country Office to develop and use robust data collection and reporting systems. This position also has special responsibility to develop fundraising strategy and plans for the child focused program elements (ECD program and children’s groups). He/she will have to reference and contextualize Help a Child’s global guidelines, then build the capacity of implementing teams to execute program plans, to monitor progress and to evaluate results.
Technical Assistance – Child-centered programming
· Reference Help a Child’s global policies and program documents, as well as related government policies, to develop guidelines for how partners should implement child-centered activities in a harmonized way and meet quality standards;
· Create new initiatives which will increase the child-focus within the CCCD program;
· Build knowledge and technical capacity of implementing partners to deliver and monitor quality child-centered interventions, following set guidelines and using developed/adopted materials;
· Develop (annual) plan of child-centered activities for Country Office and prepare guidance for implementing partners to do the same for coordinated activities country-wide;
· Monitor implementation of planned activities at field level to ensure that interventions are compliant with the standards and principles of not only the organization, but also of the government and (back)donors;
· Mentor project staff during field visits to improve their technical knowledge on best practices for holisitic child development and provide immediate feedback on implementation to address gaps observed;
· Contribute to development, use, and revision of tools for monitoring child-centered activities on daily basis as well as measuring change at outcome level.
Result: (Annual)Program plans are developped and implemented according to plan and budget, meeting the requirements of Help a Child and (back-)donors.
Fundraising & Grant Management
· Identify, create and capitalize on funding opportunities for further growth of the Help a Child program;**
· Develop strong relationships with existing and potential donors in the sector to promote Help a Child’s approaches and results so as to attract new or suplementary funding;
· Stay alert to funding opportunities that come available and pursue relevant leads;
· Take lead in ECD projects design and proposal development;
· Lead process to recruit qualified staff to implement new projects/grants;
· Supervise and mentor project staff and consultants to ensure that they implement according to the project design and donor’s expectations;
· Collaborate with Finance Officer and project staff to track spending properly, accroding to the set budget as well as targets achieved;
· Prepare reqular reports to share progress with the donor, following the donor’s specific requirements;
· Accompany donors on field visits to project activities and participate in all other required partnership meetings.
Result: Resources are mobilized to grow the program and budgets, once secured, are properly managed to further build Help a Child’s reputation and open the door to additional funding opportunities.
Networking and Visibility**
· Develop and maintain good relations with the government at central and district level (for projects implemented directly by Help a Child);
· Represent Help a Child in appropriate thematic networks and influential groups at national level to stay informed of national developments, share the work Help a Child, and collaborate with government and civil society partners;
· Learn from the experience of other actors in the same thematic area by attending learning workshops, organizing joint field visits with other parties, and participating in professional events;
· Create formalized collaborations with sister organizations when possible in order to share resources and harmonize approaches;
· Develop appropriate visibility tools to inform different networks and partners of the work Help a Child is doing and the impact it is making;
· Join forces with sister organizations, and/or bi-laterally with government, to conduct advocacy for needed services and/or policy changes affecting project beneficiaries;
· Host periodic visibility events to showcase the work of Help a Child to a variety of stakeholders in the sector.
Result: The country organisation is well represented towards government, donors and cooperating partners so that 1) the country office has established visibility and good reputation and 2) opportunities for strategic coopertion and growth have been created.
· Lead the process of designing templates for planning and reporting for both Country Office and implementing partners to use, which meet Help a Child’s global requirements but are customized to local needs;
· Hold partners accountable to contractual deadlines for planning and reporting;
· Lead the process of reviewing partner reports on quarterly basis and assisting partners to corrrect errors or discrepencies that are found;
· Facilitate capacity building sessions for Country Office and implementing partner staff on best practices in planning, monitioring, evaluation and learning as well as data management and documentation of success stories;
· Provide strategic advice to CPD on how to address partnership management and program quality gaps.
Result: Implementing Partners and Country Office fulfill their contractual obligations of reporting and collecting PMEL data at required standards.
Organizational Development & Learning
· Contribute to team meetings to share lessons learned, harmonize planning, and achieve team goals;
· Support the process of customizing global policies to the country context and developing as well as implementing relevant procedures and templates;
· Stay connected to strategic developments within Help a Child and collaborate with staff from the global office to benefit from their technical guidance or support them in achieving their objectives;
· Provide input into strategic planning at country-level as well as document and share lessons learned which can influence global stategy;
· Conduct capacity assessments for exisiting and potential partners and document recommended actions to follow up from the assessment;
· Ensure that HR policies and best practices are implemented for staff under his/her supervision so that staff are adequately supported to grow in professional skills, meet expected targets, maintain high morale, and contribute to organization as a whole;
· Design and implement innovative ideas as a pilot project, when funds are available, which can become a niche for the organization;
· Ensure that evaluations and evidence gathered (internally or externally) are shared for maximum organizational learning.
Result: The country office and program of is in line with good practices and quality standards from the global office but also innovates and documents ideas which can strategically develop and influence the broader organzaition.
Qualifications & Desired Skills
· University level degree in a relevant field;
· At least 5 years experience with technical expertise both at policy development level and practical implementation level;
· 5 years experience in Program design and program cycle management skills;
· 7 years experience in Proposal development and fundraising skills especially with local donors;
· Competent in building capacity of others, providing training of trainers and coaching support;
· Communication and networking skills.
Help a Child offers the opportunity to become part of an ambitious, child centred and Christian international NGO with a dedicated team of professionals motivated to maximize impact. Help a Child offers a fair pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Furthermore, you will be offered an open ended contract.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are kindly invited to apply through this link https://cvselection.net/program-manager-ecd at the latest on 14th January 2021
In your cover letter, please reflect on your motivation for wanting to become part of the Help a Child organization. This includes a reflection on Help a Child being a child centred and Christian organization.
Should you wish to apply for this post, you are kindly advised to submit your application as soon as possible. An (e-) assessment may be part of the selection process. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Help a Child is committed to keep children safe. All staff are required to sign and adhere to the Help a Child’s PSEA and safeguarding Recruitment is subject to successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks.
In this recruitment process we ask the candidate for consent for obtaining the Statement of Conduct. Hereby we inform you that we participate in the SCHR Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.