Communications Senior Officer - Digital and Content
Department/officeNYSC, Peace and Security Cluster
Duty stationMogadishu, Somalia
Contract typeInternational ICA
DurationOngoing contract (Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance)
Application period17-Nov-2020 to 01-Dec-2020
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Expand all [+]
Peace and Security Cluster
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. It is led by the Director, who has overall authority and accountability for the performance PSC on behalf of its clients. The Director is responsible for administering and providing oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations.
United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) is a division of the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO). UNMAS is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly (RES/68/72) to ensure an effective, proactive and coordinated response to the problem posed by a wide range of explosive hazards. Legislative mandates also recognize UNMAS technical expertise in responding to threats posed by unsecured and unsafe conventional weapons and ammunition stockpiles. As an office within DPKO, UNMAS supports peacekeeping and special political missions in accordance with Security Council mandates.
UNMAS as a component of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) provides explosive hazard management capacities, including mitigation, to AMISOM as part of a logistical support package. Non-lethal tactical advice and analysis is delivered by UNMAS technical advisors located in each AMISOM Sector Headquarters and at AMISOM Force Headquarters, who support AMISOM planning and operations. UNMAS support includes both enabling (“operate in spite of IEDs”) and response (“defeat the device”). As a component of the UN Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) UNMAS also supports the Federal Government of Somalia, including the Somali Police Force, Somali Explosive Management Authority and National Security Advisor.
*CANDIDATES WITH NO UN OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY *Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Under the supervision of the UNMAS Somalia Programme Director, the Communictaion Senior Officer - Digital and Content will perform the following duties:
● Contribute to UNMAS Somalia Programme social media campaigns
● Participate in developing outreach assets for fundraising
● Provide social media training to programme officers
● Contribute to the creation, editing, and distribution of videos
● Produce audio-visual contents for UNMAS Somalia Programme social media
● Collaborate in the production of audio-visual interactive story map for UNMAS Somalia programme
● Support in the production of audio-visual multimedia content for ongoing UNMAS Somalia Programme social media campaigns
● Support in maintaining and enhancing UNMAS Somalia Programme YouTube Channel outreach
● Coordinate with the UNMAS Communications team in ensuring strategic priorities and corporate identity is served by the audio-visual products created, in line with the UNMAS communications strategy
● Provide editorial guidance and ensure that messages conveyed through audio-visual products are sharp, compelling and current
● Generate a variety of standard statistical and other reports on social media reach
● Provide software and office equipment support
● Provide support in the maintenance of websites by scanning, converting and posting a variety of documents onto the UNMAS and E_MINE websites
● Participate in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software
● Draft reports, articles, press releases and promotional blurbs
● Perform any other relevant duties as assigned.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
● Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of two years of relevant experience; OR
● First-level University Degree (Bachelor's Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of four years of relevant experience is required.
● Relevant experience is defined as experience in Communications, Arts, IT, Administration or related field.
● Experience in Audio-Visual Arts, Film Production, Media Production or Pulication Production is required. Languages:**
● Fluency in English (reading, writing, speaking) is required.
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA-1(ICS-9)
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
How to apply