The University of Maryland Baltimore's Center for International Health, Education, and Biosecurity (CIHEB) is seeking a Regional Technical Advisor for Laboratory Strategic Information (SI). This position will support our Laboratory strengthening programmes in Mozambique, Malawi and Botswana with particular focus on improving HIV-related laboratory infrastructure, data utilization, training and adherence to quality management systems as part of the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
The Advisor will collaborate with representatives from each respective Ministry of Health and other implementing partners to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to expedite a national model of laboratory quality improvement that enhances data use for efficiency and impact and supports large-scale health informatics programs whilst building strong country ownership for sustainability.
Under the direction and supervision of the CIHEB Laboratory Director, the Technical Advisor, Lab SI will:
- Provide strategic leadership to the design, implementation and evaluation of projects that strengthen laboratory information systems.
- Coordinate SI programs for HIV and related laboratory testing at national and regional level.
- Guide and coordinate data collection and data utilization at site, provincial and national levels as required to evaluate PEPFAR supported laboratory programs.
- Support the development of a Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP) for laboratory services and contribute to the design of M&E plans at the national level.
- Analyze strengths and weaknesses in relation to objectives with an aim to improve project and program quality and M&E standards.
- Liaise with MoH and key stakeholders and participate in strategic planning of laboratory issues.
- Coordinate national and regional technical working groups.
- Facilitate the development of manuals, standard operating guidelines, and training material.
- Master's degree in public health, epidemiology, statistics or mathematics
- At least 6 years’ experience managing laboratory data using a range of techniques to inform program decisions
- Knowledge of laboratory operations and laboratory quality management systems and standards.
- Experience with HIV/AIDS, PEPFAR or Global Fund programs, public health or international development.
- Expert data management and analysis skills
- Well developed intercultural and interpersonal skills
- Must be fluent in oral and written English with excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Able to travel internationally (estimated 30% time)
- Field experience with MOH/partners in Mozambique, Malawi, Botswana
Applications from professionals with the right to work in Mozambique, Malawi, Botswana are highly encouraged.
The Center for International Health, Education, and Biosecurity is an international health, education, and research center founded by the Institute of Human Virology in 2016 within the University of Maryland, Baltimore’s School of Medicine. CIHEB is comprised of a network of international experts who work with local stakeholders to combat infectious and non-communicable diseases in resource-limited regions of the world.