Position Title: Project Assistant
Duty Station: IOM Philippines Country Office (Zamboanga City)
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G5**
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 30 October 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Satellite Office (Zamboanga) and under the direct supervision of National Project Officer (Zamboanga), the successful candidates will be accountable and responsible for supporting implementation of IOM’s Transition and Recovery programmes in Mindanao, particularly the provinces of Zamboanga, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi., in line with IOM policies, standards and commitments.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of National Project Officer (Transition and Recovery Unit) in Zamboanga, assist programme team and thematic specialists in the operational requirements of the project implementation in the field (ZamBaSulTa).
Support programme team in identifying and establishing linkage and coordination with relevant government line agencies, local authorities, civil society organizations, thematic clusters/groups and other stakeholders.
Organize and facilitate various trainings, peace promotion and social cohesion activities, working group meetings, and in-kind and cash assistance involving various stakeholders, as part of the project activities.
Conduct key data collection, validation and analysis related to researches on Prevention of Radicalization in BaSulTa in coordination with the National Project Officer, research consultant, enumerators and field assistants.
Support and facilitate community engagement processes such as consultations, focus groups discussions, information campaigns, social cohesion events and other relevant activities, by promoting active participation of community-based organizations, civil society organizations and other groups.
Gather information such as periodic field updates, activity reports, note for file, meeting minutes, to prepare for timely submission of progress reports for internal and external use.
Perform liaison with IOM field colleagues, local partners and relevant stakeholders implementing other programmes in the AoR for possible collaboration and avoid duplication of activities.
Undertake official duty travels as required, with IOM’s Office of Staff Security.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Political Science, International Development, Peace and Conflict Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience; Or,
- High School degree in the above fields with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in Transition and Recovery programmes, such as Prevention of Violent Extremism, Community Capacity Building, Social Cohesion, Peacebuilding and Community Stabilization, a distinctive asset.
- Familiarity with the context of BARMM, especially the Provinces of Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-Tawi, an advantage.
- Extensive field work in humanitarian, development and/or peacebuilding operations with government and/or non-government organization.
- Experience in liaising with government counterparts, international organizations, and/or international and national NGOs.
- Experience in activity planning, operations and field implementation.
- Familiarity with IOM administrative and financial management, an advantage.
- Skills in social mobilization, community engagement, event organization, preferred;
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills, required.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel and Power Point).
Fluency in English and Tagalog is required. Conversant in Tausug, Sama and other ZamBaSulTa language is advantage.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators *level 1**
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience or a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/vacancy/MAC/iom-personal-history...
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email@example.com not later than 30 October 2020. Position title and SVN Number (SVN 015 2020 – Project Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.