The Hunger Project (THP) is a global non-profit organization whose mission is to end hunger and poverty by pioneering sustainable, grassroots, women-centered strategies and advocating for their widespread adoption in regions where hunger persists. We operate in 23 countries with 350 staff and have mobilized 500,000 volunteer leaders worldwide. Our programs throughout Africa, South Asia and Latin America are based on an innovative, holistic approach, which empowers women and men living in rural villages to become the agents of their own development and make sustainable progress in overcoming hunger and poverty.
Current Hunger Project office locations include:
USA: Global Office in New York City, Washington DC, and multiple home offices.
13 Program Countries: Bangladesh, Benin, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Malawi, Mexico, Mozambique, Peru, Senegal, Uganda, Zambia.
9 Partner Countries: Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.
The Marketing Officer's primary function is to promote brand awareness through traditional and social media platforms, public relations campaigns and partnerships. The role will sit within the Global Communications team. This is an externally focused position and will work closely with other members of the communications and fundraising team to ensure THP's brand, messages and impact are compelling, understandable and widely accessible. Ultimately, this position drives toward our mission by expanding our global movement of partners, supporters and investors.
This full-time position is based out of THP’s Global Office in New York City, and remote candidates are encouraged to apply. THP is currently working 100% remotely during the COVID pandemic. The position reports to the Senior Manager, Communications and is exempt for overtime.
Manage Media Relations
· Develop and implement strategies to obtain external placements to showcase THP’s messages and work
· Develop and manage relationships with external PR partners
· Serve as the first point of contact for press queries
· Train and support global staff in engaging with the press
· Monitor, track and analyze THP’s external presence through regular reporting
Promote Brand Awareness through External Partnerships
· Develop and manage relationships with companies to engage in cause-related marketing efforts that raise awareness about THP’s brand and messages, in partnership with the fundraising team
· Ensure partnerships are aligned with THP’s global brand and meet required charity accountability standards
· Carry out due diligence processes for global corporate partnerships
· Develop strategies to leverage such external partnerships with colleagues worldwide
Manage Social Media
· Develop and implement a comprehensive social media strategy, including maintenance of a robust editorial calendar, in collaboration with Global Communications team members and interns
· Create and implement innovative online campaigns to support brand awareness and grow our global movement
· Monitor, track and analyze online presence through regular reporting
Develop Marketing Collateral
· Create compelling external marketing pieces – such as fact sheets, impact reports, swag, emails, videos and other digital collateral
- Manage relationship with a third-party integrated marketing agency, including but not limited to, developing campaign themes, providing collateral, and reviewing materials
- Partner with fundraisers worldwide in creating innovative opportunities and events to showcase The Hunger Project’s messages and work externally
- Develop and implement cross-platform advertising campaigns, in partnership with pro bono partners
- Represent THP at external events and meetings
1. Education (Minimum Needed and Type of Degree Needed):
· Minimum Required: Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in fields relating to communication or marketing, or international relations/development/gender studies complemented by marketing work experience.
2. Work Experience (Minimum needed)
· Minimum Required: 3-5 years in a similar role
· Experience in a fast-paced environment with a small team.
· Preferred: Non-profit setting with remote team structure.
3. Specialized Knowledge Needed for Job Performance
· Strong knowledge of B2C marketing and social media best practices and platforms;
· Experience with press and media management;
· Avid user of and interested in Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram;
· Video and photo editing proficiency preferred;
· Graphic design background Adobe Creative Suite programs, preferred;
· Comfort with WordPress or other CMS;
· Proficiency in MS Office suite, with expertise skills in Excel;
· Proficiency with Google Suite and tools.
· Resourceful self-starter with ability to independently multi-task and prioritize.
· Outstanding editing, proofreading and writing skills, with an unwavering attention to detail;
· Sound judgment, able to troubleshoot problems, come up with creative solutions, while identifying issues which need to be escalated;
· Strong teamwork and collaboration skills; ability to work with colleagues and partners nationally and internationally;
· Ability to adapt and work in a flexible and evolving environment;
· High level of comfort with new technologies, and able to quickly learn new tools;
5. Additional Comments
· Interested in storytelling – both hearing stories and creatively telling them;
· Spanish and or French language skills a plus;
· Flexibility to, at times, work in a varying schedule due to global time zone differences and nature of online work;
· Openness to travel domestically and internationally
· Commitment to THP’s values, including an understanding of and compatibility with our principles and philosophy. The successful candidate will be working with a team who loves what they are doing and feels it is a privilege to be working in service of this mission.
· Defined contribution for each staff member to be spent on choice of authorized benefits including gold level medical, dental and vision, retirement or student loans.
· 20 days paid leave to start, plus 9 holidays and 12 sick days.
· Progressive parental leave: 2 months’ full time pay, with 3-month gradual return.
· Flexible work hours and arrangements.
· Retirement plan: gradual vesting in 401(a) Fund over 5 years. Match provided to 403(b) pre-tax Annuity.
How to apply
How to Apply
Please forward your letter of interest, resume, salary expectations, writing sample and references for immediate consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “**Marketing Officer**” in the subject line of your e-mail.