ABA ROLI is seeking a Maldivian consultant to assist an international consultant in the development and administration of the bar examination in the Maldives. The consultant will serve as an expert on the Maldivian legal system and liaise among international and Maldivian experts; prior experience developing and administering licensing exams is not required. The consultant should have excellent knowledge of the Maldivian legal system and significant work experience in Maldivian legal education and/or in the practice of law in the Maldives.
Candidates must be currently based in the Maldives and have the legal ability to work in the Maldives.
The consultancy is expected to begin in early October 2020 and will continue for 3-4 months. Due to the global pandemic, the consultant is not expected to travel.
Deadline for application: 29 September 2020
Working with Maldivian counterparts and ABA ROLI, the local consultant will: **
· provide technical and drafting assistance to the international consultant to develop the content of the bar examination
· translate the content of the bar examination
· organize and conduct consultation meetings with relevant stakeholders
· provide technical assistance to the international consultant in the administration of the bar examination before, during, and after the exam, including possible administration of an online examination due to the public health crisis
· other responsibilities as required for the successful development and administration of the bar examination
· University degree in law
· Ability to practice law in the Maldives
· Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the Maldivian legal sector
· Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours to accommodate the schedules of ABA ROLI personnel
· Highly organized, with ability to multi-task and remain calm under time pressure
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively individually and as a team
· Full bilingual proficiency in Dhivehi and English; experience studying, teaching, and/or practicing law in both languages preferred
· Prior experience translating legal documents from English to Dhivehi
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Dhivehi and English
· Ability to use discretion when working with confidential documents and information
· Interest in and commitment to the rule of law
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com. Please include the expected daily, weekly, or monthly rate in the cover letter.