- Lead process with staff and partners to identify and secure funding for viable humanitarian and development programs in line with CO strategy.
- Oversee the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of country office programs and projects and ensure that they are in line with CO program strategy, ECSA and CI program strategies and according to CI Programming Principles.
- Ensure systems and plans are in place to guarantee that CO programs/projects are designed and implemented based on sound analysis, address the underlying causes of poverty and vulnerability and achieve measurable positive impact on the poor and marginalized.
- Ensure that proper monitoring and evaluation systems are in place to demonstrate impact and that program lessons are being used to promote improved programming and learning.
- Ensure that monitoring and evaluation systems enhance accountability of COs vis-a-vis the communities with whom we work as well as other stakeholders (civil society, donors and government counterparts).
- Conduct regular analysis of the CO contingency planning and capacity to scale up quickly and respond to significant emergency needs and propose actions to address capacity gaps.
- Facilitate the development and regular updating of an appropriate emergency preparedness and response plans and ensure that disaster risk management is integrated in CARE programs.
- Work with the CD to oversee the development and implementation of a CO advocacy agenda that supports CO programs and, if possible, is in line with CO and CI priorities.
- Ensure that GED is a key consideration all programs/projects.
- Provide proper supervision and management for all direct reports and lead the establishment and functioning of a strong, effective and coordinated Program team.
- Ensure the proper implementation of CARE's performance management system for direct reports, including job description and IOPs development, regular feedback, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Proactively address performance issues through regular, constructive and honest feedback and coaching.
- Identify necessary staff talent development, career development and succession planning strategies for direct reports.
- Ensure that space, motivation and incentives are available to allow staff to develop and innovate.
- Ensure adequate and strong working relationships between program team and other units teams and oversee the recruitment and orientation of new senior program staff.
- Ensure that CARE programs and projects are implemented and managed in a manner which achieves the program/project goals, in line with CARE policies and procedures and demonstrate sound resource management.
- Ensure that CARE partnerships are based on equity, transparency, mutual benefit, diversity and accountability.
- Ensure that qualified staff and appropriate policies, procedures and systems are in place to properly manage CARE's programs/projects.
- Monitor the CO programs and projects to ensure that they are implemented in a professional manner in line with the project proposal through project visits and the review of annual implementation plans and activity reports.
- Ensure proper management of financial and other resources entrusted to CARE's programs and projects, including the review and approval of program/project budgets (including project matches) and the monitoring of budget reports (including the proper recording of matches).
- Ensure donor and government reporting is done according to agreed upon standards and in a timely manner.
Work closely with units in Program Support (finance, procurement, HR, transport, etc.) to ensure proper coordination exists for efficient program implementation.
Ensure strong logistics & commodity management, and accountability where applicable.
Regularly review and ensure that the most efficient CO program management structure is established and functional in order to ensure program quality and the cost efficient achievement of project objectives.
- Ensure that the CO program seeks opportunities for innovation and personal growth by promoting a culture of, and mechanisms for, reflective practice and learning at all levels.
- Establish mechanisms for knowledge sharing and learning between projects and programs within the CO and with parties beyond the CO.
- Facilitate the preparation and implementation of the overall CO Program Strategy in line with the CO's Strategic Plan, national development plans, partnership guideline, the ECSA and CI Vision and programming principles and current CARE South Sudan programming priorities.
- Lead the preparation of program strategies based on sound contextual analysis and that target specific underlying causes of poverty and social injustice, in line with CARE's 2020 Vision.
- Ensure adequate integration of humanitarian and development programming within the CO Program strategy.
- Ensure that all programs and projects designed and implemented by the CO are in line with those program strategies and contribute to achieving the objectives of the CO Strategic Plan including working in partnership with local actors, especially women’s rights organizations.
- Seek strategic partnerships necessary to promote CARE's vision and programming principles and ensure that those partners understand the COs program strategies.
- Contribute to the delivery of CO advocacy strategy and media and communications work through the provision of programmatic information and evidence.
External relations and partnerships
- Develop and enhance relationships between the CO and other parts of CARE and external organizations so that CARE can maximize its collaboration and impact on poverty reduction and social justice.
- Establish and maintain good relationships with relevant counterparts/departments of the government, CI members, the locally-represented multi/bi-lateral donors, foundations, international and national NGOs, CBOs and other civil society organizations.
- Identify issues to be addressed to heighten donor and government accountability and maintain a positive image and good visibility for CARE amongst these groups.
- Support and work effectively in coalitions, networks and social movements and contribute to national dialogue on poverty reduction strategies and related issues.
- Ensure timely reporting and communications with CI members, donors, government and other key actors.
- Ensure cordial media relations and act as CARE spokesperson as required.
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- At least 5 years in senior management and leadership positions in humanitarian and development programs.
- Given the current context in South Sudan, the job requires a person with strong background and extensive experience in emergency humanitarian programming as well as longer term development programs.
- The position requires someone who is a passionate advocate for the rights of women and girls in South Sudan
- An understanding of how to work in partnership to support localization and civil society strengthening.
How to apply
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.