Location: London, UK or Brussels, Belgium (remote working from other UK / European locations considered), ability to travel within Europe essential
Duration: Permanent subject to 6-month probationary period
Line manager: Chief Executive Officer, Internews Europe
Department: Global Development
Term & LOE: Full-time; 100%
Salary range: Band D: £77,265 - £84,083 (F1 – F3) plus benefits
Internews is an international non-profit organisation whose mission is to empower local information providers worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect and the means to make their voices heard.
Internews provides communities the resources to produce local news and information with integrity and independence. With global expertise and reach, Internews trains both media professionals and citizen journalists, supports business development strategies for the sector and helps establish policies needed for open access to information. Internews programmes create platforms for dialogue and enable informed debate, which bring about social and economic progress.
Internews’ commitment to research and evaluation creates effective and sustainable programs, even in the most challenging environments. Internews operates internationally, with administrative centres in Arcata, California; Washington DC; and London, UK; as well as regional hubs in Bangkok and Nairobi.
Formed in 1982, Internews has worked in more than 90 countries, and currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Our commitment to a culture of belonging
Internews is passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and actively welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
About the role
A very exciting opportunity has arisen to carve a new role for Internews Europe (IEU) in identifying strategic funding and programme development opportunities, as well as to advocate for Internews’s portfolio of work in the media and information development sector to government and multi-lateral institutions within Europe.
We are looking for a dynamic and international fundraising, networking and media and information development sector specialist with a keen understanding of European institutions. This is a new role, created to help deliver Internews’ new 5-year strategic plan, which envisions continued growth in the European market and a more vocal role in advocating on issues related to media and information within the development sector.
The Senior Director of Partnerships and Outreach is part of the Internews Europe Senior Management Team, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, Internews Europe. The Senior Director will identify new funding opportunities from institutional donors such as the European Commission, DFID, SIDA, Norway and others and will be required to work closely with Internews’s regional and thematic teams worldwide to understand and advocate for our areas of expertise and focus. The Senior Director of Partnerships and Outreach will also work closely with our Programs, Business Development and External Affairs senior teams, based in Washington DC, to ensure a consistent approach on fundraising, advocacy and outreach.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead work within the Internews Europe Senior Management Team to identify, develop, and secure new business opportunities with bilateral and multilateral European donors to meet annual funding targets
- Steward relationships with key stakeholders and policymakers in Europe, such as DG Connect, DG Near, SIDA, DFID
- Remain up-to-date on key developments in the European media and information development sector and associated funding communities, communicate these developments regularly to IEU senior management, and represent Internews Europe at high-level meetings, including conferences and panel discussions and in relevant regional consortia
- Identify strategic opportunities for raising with European institutions, governments and funders issues related to Internews’s portfolio of work on media and information sector support worldwide in line with the current 5-year strategic plan
- Collaborate with the Internews’ Alliance Program teams and thematic experts globally to build a comprehensive understanding of Internews work and offering
- Liaise with Internews’ Business Development team to ensure new strategic opportunities are stewarded through to concept note stage or proposal development as appropriate
- Develop policy papers and other communications materials as relevant
• At least 10 years’ experience in international development, media, and/or non-profit fields
• Demonstrable track record in securing multi-year, multi-million, public sector funds from development donors in Europe
• Detailed working knowledge of overseas development assistance funders in Europe, especially the European Commission
• Outstanding, persuasive verbal and written skills, including the ability to negotiate, as well as the ability to remain calm under pressure
• Outstanding networking and stakeholder development skills
• Proficient written and spoken French language skills are desired, however exceptional candidates without this attribute will still be considered
• Computer literate with advanced abilities in Word, PowerPoint and Excel required
• Applicants must have the existing legal right to work and reside in the UK or European Union states
Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values
- Closing date for applications: 05 October 2020
Candidates must submit a succinct covering letter of no more than 2-pages explaining how they satisfy the requirements of the person speciation in addition to a CV highlighting relevant experience. The successful candidate will also be asked to provide three professional referees, one of whom must be from their most recent employer.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, all the tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the job holder a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.