EnCompass LLC is seeking an experienced Data Specialist to support qualitative data collection and analysis for a process evaluation of the Program to End Modern Slavery (PEMS), with an emphasis on document review and key informant interviews. This position is a remote (homes based) part-time consultancy from September 2020 to March 2021, with a total expected commitment of up to 30 days.
The Program to End Modern Slavery—which is funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons (TIP Office)—features a series of programs and projects designed to substantially reduce the prevalence of human trafficking/modern slavery among key targeted populations, including in parts of Vietnam, the Philippines, and India. In September 2019, the TIP Office contracted EnCompass to conduct a mixed methods and multi-country process evaluation of the first tranche of PEMS funding (“PEMS 1”). This evaluation will focus on (1) understanding the processes used by the implementing partner (to date) to measure the prevalence of modern slavery, including strengths, challenges, and best practices; and (2) assessing how early sub-award activities have been implemented to serve human trafficking victims or individuals vulnerable to trafficking in priority countries. Evaluation findings will therefore provide insight into lessons learned, programmatic performance to date, and recommendations for future efforts under PEMS.
This position will at first focus on supporting the finalization of a landscape analysis of prevalence estimation methodologies. The landscape analysis document will be used to develop a Prevalence Estimation Methodologies Features and Considerations (PEMFAC) document and a rubric for evaluating the PEMS 1 prevalence estimation studies. As our evaluation moves towards the data collection phase, this position will focus on two key tasks: 1) qualitative data collection and analysis of the design and implementation of PEMS 1 efforts to measure the prevalence of modern slavery and conduct other research, and 2) refining the initial draft of the PEMFAC by surveying a Research and Prevalence Experts Panel (RPEP) through a three-round Delphi process. This will document coding and analysis, interviewing, interview coding and analysis, and supporting the Delphi process. We are looking for a person who is experienced in qualitative data collection and analysis, highly organized, detail-oriented, proactive, and has experience working with a highly dispersed international team.
* This position is remote. However, the Qualitative Data Specialist will primarily work with team members located across North America, and may be asked to join a select number of remote interviews in different time zones.
** The above statements describe the general nature and level of work that the individual assigned to this position will perform. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in project and data collection onboarding and training
- Conduct document review coding and analysis
- Work with Evaluation Specialists to use a qualitative codebook for review and coding of documents about prevalence estimation research
- Analyze assigned codes in Dedoose and summarize coded documents using analysis summary template
- Participate in any orientations, meetings or trainings needed for this work
- Conduct interviews, analyze and summarize data
- Participate in data collection orientation, training, and piloting processes, including sharing feedback on data collection tool revision
- Conduct up key informant interviews (remotely) with different evaluation stakeholders, primarily located in the North American time zones
- Transcribe (verbatim), clean, and upload completed interviews in a timely manner
- Work with Data Collection Manager to identify and resolve any data quality challenges
- Transcribe (verbatim), clean, and upload interviews conducted by Evaluation Specialists in a timely manner
- Code assigned landscape analysis interviews in Dedoose
- Summarize data for assigned codes using data analysis summary templates
- Support development of deliverables
- Support updating sections of the landscape analysis based on analysis summary and interview transcript data
- Support Evaluation Specialists in developing Prevalence Estimation Methods Features and Considerations document and evaluation rubric based on the landscape analysis.
- Conduct additional research as assigned
- Support Delphi technique
- For each of three rounds of surveying a Research and Prevalence Experts Panel (RPEP):
- support the development of the Delphi panel survey
- manage the process of sending the survey to panel members
- support the Evaluation Specialists in analyzing the survey responses
- support the Evaluation Specialists in revising the PEMFAC document.
- Support Analysis
- Support Evaluation Specialists in completing analysis summaries under Evaluation Question 1 (subawardee progress)
- Participate in data triangulation, interpretation, and synthesis processes with broader evaluation team
- Support reporting
- Support drafting of the final evaluation report and dissemination to the TIP Office
- Regularly coordinate with the Evaluation Specialists and other members of the evaluation team to plan out tasks and assess evaluation progress, as well as any challenges encountered
- Maintain and update relevant trackers to reflect interview, transcription, coding, and analysis completion
- At a minimum, a master’s degree and demonstrated use of statistical methods
Experience and Skills
- At least six years of experience, of which at least three years should have been with qualitative data collection and analysis in a range of contexts
- Demonstrated experience with statistical methods
- Familiarity with desk reviews of technical literature and related analysis
- Strong understanding of with qualitative data collection and analysis and best practices
- Ability to organize, manage, prioritize, and follow through on multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work well independently and as part of a diverse team
- Proven capacity to take initiative and willingness to learn new skills as needed
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills, including strong skills in technical writing
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels
- Prove track record of successful teamwork
- Nice to have: Specific work experience in counter-trafficking/modern slavery, commercial sexual exploitation, human rights, social work, migration, or related fields