The Senior Crop Development Specialist will manage biofortified crop development to achieve technological, crop improvement and commercial project goals: generating biofortified germplasm products without compromising agronomic performance and nutrition/end-use quality and assisting in guiding the design and delivery of the technology to undernourished people. The position reports to the Head, Crop Development.
· Manage the HarvestPlus crop development research network and establish research capacity in Africa, Asia, and Latin America for rice, wheat, maize, cassava, bean and pearl millet; includes frequent project visits and convening crop meetings with partners along the value chain
· Develop strategy and develop and implement product profiles/product development and delivery plans.
· Manage a portfolio of >40 projects/contracts involving >100 scientists in >20 countries; provide technical oversight and capacity building for crop improvement component. Assess progress, synthesize findings; internal/external reporting and knowledge management/documentation.
· Address gaps and bottlenecks, enhance breeding effectiveness, and take crop/profile specific action to strengthen variety development pipeline by direct engagement..
· Integrate human nutrition, socio-economic functions and in-country product delivery with crop improvement and interact closely with other relevant HarvestPlus divisionsin developing strategies for scaling.
· Participate in strategy development, implementation, and resource allocation; interact and provide support to Nutrition, External Affairs, Impact & Policy and Communications; outreach/networking within agriculture/plant research communities, contribute to scientific publications and participate in resource mobilization.
Qualifications and requirements:
· PhD degree, with specialization in plant breeding/sciences or related discipline.
· Working experience: in developing countries and track-record in crop product development
o Minimum of 5 years working experience with experience in project leadership and track-record in crop product development.
· Exceptional drive and entrepreneurship, a pronounced ability to motivate others and to build partnerships in different cultural contexts.
· Strong end-product focus and ability to deliver.
· Decisive, problem-solver with strong analytical abilities.
· Good interpersonal communication skills, writing ability and administrative skills; and capable of communicating effectively with researchers in the fields of agriculture, nutrition, and health.
· Agree to intensive international travel.
· Excellent written and spoken English.
· Position-related working experience at CG-Centers, Private Companies, Universities or Agricultural Research Institutes **
How to apply
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the qualifications, competencies, skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Office, at (email@example.com) and should clearly indicate “Application: Senior Crop Development Specialist”.