Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 4 months
Location: Position based in Erbil
ABOUT THE MISSION
The SI mission has been opened in February 2017, with emphasis on the Mosul response. The mission in composed of one Coordination in Erbil (5 expatriates and 9 national staff) one operational base in Mosul (1 expatriate and 25 national staff), and one new base in Bardarash (1 expatriate and 14 national staff). Regarding the evolution of the context, the mission will aim at keeping an early recovery WaSH component with ongoing research for development of new areas in line with the shift of context that entail wave of return movements to newly secured area. Simultaneously, as some camp will remain at less until 2020, being a key actor in wash in camps is a process already launched through the consortia.
ABOUT THE JOB
The program coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing sector-based strategies for the whole activities.
He/she specifically the guarantor of the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness between SI’s activities and general objectives and needs of the population.
He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of programs implemented in the intervention country.
He/she contributes to the capitalization process and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques.
- To oversee quality and relevancy of the implemented projects
- Implementation of country strategy 2020-2021
- Establish and implement mission accountability framework
- Build MEAL department and support MEAL manager to set up ME tools and procedures
- Fundraising and oversee quality of the reporting and data collection
- Support teams with capitalization process and sharing tools and best practice between programs
- Represent Solidarités International in the intervention areas of the 2 consortia
Specific stakes and challenges
- Very short emergency project does not allow to build more long term strategies
- Access issues and administrative challenges
- MEAL department needs to be set up
- Funding opportunities significantly decreasing
- Process of capitalization needs to be formalized
PRIORITIES OF THE FIRSTS MONTHS:
- Support in the fundraising
- Set up of the MEAL department
- Consortium projects management
- Support formulation of mission strategy
Iraq team has 55 members based between Erbil coordination office, Mosul and Bardarash Base and of that is 7 expats.
The Program coordinator will be directly managing Reporting and communication officer and be technical focal point for MEAL teams on coordination and base level and PMs.
Program coordinator will have coordination responsibilities of the Consortia WASH Specialist and Compliance Specialist will also fall under Prog Co direct management (till more funding will be secured and Consortium management will be under the independent unit to provide support to consortium partners).
Specific required skills:
- Excellent knowledge of Project cycle management
- Experience with strategy development and implementation
- Management of MEAL department in Emergency and Development environment
- Experience with research and data analyses highly appreciated
- Experience with consortium management and partner’s capacity building
- Fundraising and proposal writing
- Organization and planning skills
- Working and living experience in Iraq is an asset
- Adaptive to fast changing environment and able to deal with daily changing priorities
- English written and spoken Arabic/Kurdish is an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A SALARIED POSITION: starting from 2640 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 750 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
VACATION: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI). To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
SOCIAL AND MEDICAL COVER: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
SECURITY AND LIVING CONDITIONS
Erbil security situation is stable, however the situation is prone to changes due to the political situation. Though the living environment in Erbil feels safe, there are still risks, including the risk of car accidents, robbery/theft and sexual harassment (in particular from taxi drivers to female expats). The major risks currently are from ‘wrong time, wrong place’ incidents, such as small arms fire resulting from personal disputes. There is no curfew in Erbil.
Bardarash, Dohuk are locations under the control of KRI forces. The security is stable. No major security issues to mentioned. Erbil and those locations can be reached with a maximum of 2h.
Security in Mosul city is volatile, but relatively stable day-to-day and is a permissible operating environment for NGOs. This security situation can deteriorate rapidly within the city so strong security processes remain in place and the context is constantly monitored. There is a large presence of armed actors who control different areas (various PMU factions, Iraqi Army, Police etc) which remains a risk for power struggles and security incidents.
Due to the access contains and current COVID restriction the movements outside of KRI are very limited.
KEY INFORMATION ABOUT LIVING CONDITIONS
Good living conditions in Erbil: individual rooms, fully equipped guest house and office, possibility to walk in the neighborhood, lots of restaurant, no curfew. Nevertheless, movements by foot for female staff alone at night are not allowed due to risks of harassment, dedicated transportation means are identified.
How to apply
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?i.... CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/