Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the core values in their day to day operations.
The International Republican Institute’s Center for Global Impact is designed to help IRI learn, innovate, and lead in global democratic development programming. Comprised of experts specializing in a range of technical areas and program staff who oversee global and cross-cutting initiatives, the Center leads the Institute’s efforts to contribute to thought leadership, respond to emerging global challenges and trends, facilitate global initiatives, and serve as an incubator for new ideas and cutting-edge approaches.
The Sr. Governance Specialist serves as part of the Center, serving a multi-faceted role as program developer and implementer. S/he develops program ideas and drafts proposals on a range of governance themes, subsequently supporting program implementation through a range of activities. S/he consults with regional program teams based in Washington D.C. and in field offices on governance program. S/he manages governance programs and works closely with the Associate Director for Technical Advancement in providing cross-divisional technical advice and in business development efforts.
· Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field; Graduate Degree preferred.
- 5-7 years of professional experience in in democratic governance, politics, government, or international development.
- Experience with program management, project implementation and budgetary oversight.
- Experience working with U.S. Government funded projects and familiarity with USG regulations and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute program activities in ways that both achieve results and raise the initiative’s public profile.
- Proven experience leading the entire business development capture life cycle, to include serving as lead technical writer on winning proposals.
- Exceptional organizational and detail-oriented skills.
- Exceptional ability to operate under strict deadlines and ability to easily shift priorities.
- Strong interpersonal, research, and written/oral communications skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program goals.
- Experience living, working and/or traveling internationally.
- Willingness and ability to travel to challenging environments, up to 20% of the time.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
Oversees implementation of specific programs and grant(s), including with regards to anti-corruption, civil society strengthening and decentralization and local governance.
Understands assigned grant’s substantive, financial and compliance requirements.
Leads efforts to ensure that grants are in compliance with grant agreements and completed on time.
Monitors and ensures proper tracking of budgets and program expenditures to ensure that IRI projects remain within budget allocations and leads regular team budget analysis discussions.
- Oversees and participates in all monitoring and evaluation efforts for grants assigned.
- S/he will also be responsible for the creation of training materials, curricula and other tools.
Serves as primary internal expert for programmatic needs related to government reform, public sector management and other related topics and builds expertise around governance innovative approaches.
Actively tracks latest research (academic and program impact) on governance issues. Continually incorporates these lessons into IRI’s approach and share them with staff across IRI.
Provides cross-divisional support to business development efforts, including proposal writing.
Establishes, maintains, and develops productive working relationships with relevant stakeholders, including DC and field-based staff and external experts.
Supervises staff assigned to the portfolio, including leading the hiring, professional development and evaluation process for these staff. Sets specific performance goals and provides ongoing performance feedback.
Travels as needed for program oversight and implementation.
Represents IRI at external events.
Maintains an understanding of funder and IRI policies and procedures related to grant and project implementation and compliance.
Participates in cross functional teams and initiatives.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to IRI's website: