The Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) Foundation is a global medical relief organization that is working on the front lines of crisis relief in Syria, neighboring countries, and beyond; to alleviate suffering and save lives. SAMS is one of the most active and trusted international NGOs on the ground in Syria. In 2019, SAMS provided more than 2.5 million medical services inside Syria and neighboring countries, including critical psychosocial support, medical and dental care, art therapy programs, and more. Since 2016, SAMS Foundation’s Greek branch, SAMS Hellas has provided primary health care, specialty services, and dental/optometry care on the Aegean islands and in Attica and Thessaloniki. Starting in September 2020, SAMS plans to implement a program in Athens focusing on telemedicine and mobile clinical operations for refugee, migrant, and low-income Greek populations.
SAMS Foundation is looking for a dedicated humanitarian professional with a strong interest in Maternal Health to serve as a full or part time Medical Doctor in Greece. This position will have an initial term of 5.5 months, with the option for extension contingent on funding. Under the supervision of the SAMS Medical Coordinator and technical oversight of the SAMS HQ medical team, the position will be based in Athens, with daily travel within the Attica region by SAMS vehicle. The Maternal Health Doctor will work in collaboration with other local and international NGOs operating in Greece on medical programs for refugees, migrants, and Greeks with limited income. He/she will provide direct patient care as the part of a clinical team consisting of another doctor, a nurse, and two interpreters.
- Application of medical knowledge and skills in the diagnosis and treatment of women, including managing antenatal/postnatal care as part of the mobile medical team and telemedicine activities.
- Provide women health services according to protocols, policies and guidelines approved by the national and international standards and are consistent with established best practices.
- Provision of medical information for patients and their families, including education on COVID-19 prevention
- Ensure that patient confidentiality and privacy of medical information are maintained
- Advise on the referral process for pregnancies, especially complex processes
- Contribute to data analysis, monitoring, and reporting in order to improve the quality of medical care
● Doctor's degree with specialization in obstetrics, gynecology, family medicine, or internal medicine, with at least three years of professional experience and a strong interest in maternal health
● Official license to practice medicine in Greece
● Recent clinical experience (at least six months practice in the last 24 months)
● Fluency in Greek and English
● Teamwork, willingness, adaptability and ability to work in a multicultural framework
● Flexibility and ability to manage stress
● Experience in working under COVID-19 pandemic requirements and precautionary measures, particularly for infection prevention and control.
● Computer skills: Knowledge of MS Office, Video Conferencing Applications
Desirable profiles may have one or more of the following:
● Experience with international organizations
● Experience providing medical care for refugees, migrants, or low-income Greeks
● Experience with telemedicine
● Professional working proficiency in Arabic, Dari/Farsi, French, or Pashto
● Flexible schedule; ability to work nights and weekends if needed
● Criminal record status: clean
● Role responsibilities may be adapted/evolved as needed
● The challenges of the role will be met by the whole team. All team members will contribute to program development and technical management of clinical operations
How to apply
Please send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org