Position Title: Emergency Coordinator, Burkina Faso
Job Type: Regular, full time
Job Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Reports to: Head of Programming, Burkina Faso
Salary Grade: 10
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Summary of the position:
The Emergency Coordinator (EC) will oversee the growing portfolio of multiple emergency response and recovery projects in Burkina Faso. These projects are funded by a diverse array of donors including OFDA, LDSC and CRS among others. The EC will ensure high quality, timely and compliant implementation by providing daily technical and management supervision of staff and partners, and ensuring strong systems and processes are in place for quality assurance and adaptive management. The EC will also participate in and at times lead the development of new proposals for humanitarian projects.
Responsibilities of the position:
* Oversee the high quality and timely implementation of all emergency response and recovery projects in close collaboration with CP and HQ teams including rapid start-up of projects, timely monitoring and evaluation, budget manage ment, and timely close out, in accordance with requirements of the donors and core humanitarian standards;
* Ensure that the activities of the program are implemented in an integrated manner with other programs in the CP to ensure the safety and security of staff and optimize the impact of CRS projects on the beneficiary communities.
* Ensure the recruitment, coaching, capacity-building and monitoring of staff that are engaged in the emergency and rehabilitation programs while strengthening the cohesion of teams and in ensuring the well-being of each staff member.
* Ensure the management of MEAL in emergency programs, including the regular organization of MEAL reviews to document good practices and lessons learned from the implementation of emergency activities in the country, in order to contribute to the learning process of the organization.
* Identify and ensure that the appropriate level of staff or decision makers are at key strategy meetings
* Ensure the liaison with other humanitarian partners, UN, community, and government, and represent CRS in the coordination meetings, cluster and technical working groups, in order to avoid the duplication of activities, to develop synergies between partners and to identify opportunities for growth for the organization.
* Ensure coordination and communication with the donors of the emergency projects implemented in country, including overseeing the drafting of quarterly and annual project reports.
* Serve as the emergency focal point responsible for the development of new proposals for humanitarian projects for the CP.
* Identify the needs for partner capacity and contribute to organizing training courses.
* Ensure the proper management of financial resources of emergency programs implemented in country, and that financial management follow s donor requirements.
Training, experience and abilities required
Studies and Experience
* Master’s in international development, international relations or other relevant area
* Minimum 7 years of professional experience on the ground in at least a management position of Programs/projects within an international NGO
* Experience of 5 years on emergency humanitarian activities preferable
* Solid knowledge of the mechanisms and standards of emergency
* Proven ability to represent the Organization in coordination meetings with donors, local government, the United Nations and other international NGOS.
* Ability to develop proposals for emergency projects. Good knowledge of the policies, procedures and priorities of USAID, DFID, ECHO, agencies of the Unit ed Nations and of Caritas desired.
* Experience in the management of teams and partners (including strengthening of their capabilities)
* Experience in the use of MS Windows and software MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), applications of Online Conference and of the information management systems.
* Strong strategic and analytical skills to take relevant decisions and to offer innovative solutions in a context where the desired information is not always available
* Solid Interpersonal skills. Ability to develop relationships with people of all levels, internal as well as external, and to work in a multicultural environment.
* Ability to work long hours in a dynamic and sometimes stressful environment and pursue multiple priorities in order to meet a timetable of tight deadlines.
* Ability to live in an environment whe re the usual comforts are not easily accessible and namely to reconcile work and personal life despite the limited supply of leisure
* Proactive and results-oriented
Foreign language required/desired: Excellent mastery of French and English, spoken and written
Travel necessary 30%
The main labor relations:
Supervision: A team of up to 10 staff on the Emergency Response Program
Internal: Country Representative, Head of Programs, Technical Advisors in the Humanitarian Response Department, Business Development Specialist
External: Other actors, international and local NGOs, governmental structures and community leaders
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.