The Climate Centre seeks to hire a Climate Advisor to support its programs in the Middle East.The successful candidate must live in the Middle East (but this position is not tied to a specific country in the region). We're looking for a minimum of 7-10 years’ experience working on climate change adaptation in the Middle East.
The candidate must be proficient/fluent in Arabic. Advanced English language skills are required.
Broadly speaking this position will provide technical support to the ICRC as part of a joint effort to reduce the impact of climate risks in conflict areas. The consultant will also provide technical support to Red Cross Red Crescent National Societies in the Middle East in the areas of climate science, policy and practice. This position will work closely with other experts in the Climate Centre’s global team.
- Work in close coordination with ICRC delegations in the Middle East to advance joint aims.
- Provide remote technical support to ICRC focused on integrating climate risk management strategies into ongoing operations.
- Conduct climate risk screenings of ongoing and past projects, assist in integrating recommendations gleaned in new projects.
- Provide technical support to National Red Cross Red Crescent Societies in the Middle East in the areas of climate risk management, early warning early action, climate change adaptation.
- Assess specific climate-related training needs of ICRC staff and National Societies. Utilize Climate Centre tools and resources to facilitate tailored trainings.
- Represent the Climate Centre in regional and global policy events on climate and conflict.
- Establish and nurture a strong network of institutional partners in the realms of: climate science, policy and practice in the Middle East
- Liaise with research institutions to help fill gaps in existing evidence, in order to inform the design of operations.
- Contribute to the development of web-stories, case studies, lessons learnt and academic papers.
- Function as an effective member of the Climate Centre team, cross-linking work in the Middle East with thematic teams.
- Coordinate with the IFRC offices in the region.
The level of seniority will be based on experience, expertise and capacity to take on additional responsibilities if necessary. This is a regional position for a longer period of time.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or above is required. Graduate level education is preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience working on climate change adaptation in the Middle East. Experience working in conflict settings is a strong added value. Knowledge of the Red Cross Red Crescent system is an added value. Experience in any of the following areas is not required but will be an added advantage: water resource management, food security, urban adaptation or disaster management.
Skills and Abilities: Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to work in a virtual setting which is highly reliant on email as a primary mode of communication. Proven track record of collaboration, facilitation, problem solving, and partnership management. Able to work across cultures and with a wide variety of stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to provide clear, concise and client-oriented advice to decision-makers. Experience in developing and delivering training.
Language: Must be proficient/fluent in Arabic. Advanced English language skills are required.
Location: The successful candidate must live in the Middle East. This position is not tied to a specific country.
Travel: Once travel may resume, estimated travel is 25%.**
How to apply
We would like to receive your CV and cover letter (in English) addressed to Marije Taat, HR officer at the Climate Centre sent to email@example.com with “Climate Advisor Middle East” in the subject please.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.